OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The shock jock radio era did not age well

I’m sure if the shoe was on the other foot Opie would be chuckling away

I have friends who are comedians and pretty nuts in own right and A&O pranks like that the have sex in church had us talking who’s more clueless those 2 or their sheep - and we were a bunch of 20 and 30 year olds.

They had a niche and knew their was an audience for their schtick but I tried them and laughed 0.0
love Boston Comedians. bring back shock radio

Reactions: EvilDead

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
There are a couple of older guys that are at my gym first thing in the morning and they are dead ringers for when Mazz crosses his eyes and does the townie voice.

This morning: “Yeah, the Bruins almost blew a 3 goal lead.”

“Yeah, but they were down three of their best playahs and St. Louis was desperate.”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
O&A saying Mayor Menino had died still ranks #2 to what Channel 7 did in 1980

1680598426402.png

WNAC-TV was fighting to keep its FCC license at the time - that was the final straw

The license was given to David Mugar and Robert Kraft in 1982 and made things worse.

WNAC-TV vanished with a whimper and WNEV-TV came on seconds later - of note the same booth announcer handled the transition.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

BSJ Live Q&A: Donnelly on Bruins, NHL - 2 p.m. Tuesday, 04.04.23​

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yup, it’s obvious. Can’t believe Rich didn’t totally lose his marbles on Fred. That was so unprofessional. Almost like he’s trying to get fired at this point.
Rich did a great job in neutralizing the situation. He's in an impossible situation and he gave a master class in how to deal with an erratic, paranoid colleague.

It isn't fun being put in positions where you have to keep things close to the vest and your coworker knows your hiding something. I've been on both ends and it does a real number on you.

They have to do something to mitigate the situation and take some of the pressure off the others on the show.

Beasley also needs to stop meddling and destroying the Sports Hub

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
O&A saying Mayor Menino had died still ranks #2 to what Channel 7 did in 1980

View attachment 681331

WNAC-TV was fighting to keep its FCC license at the time - that was the final straw

The license was given to David Mugar and Robert Kraft in 1982 and made things worse.

WNAC-TV vanished with a whimper and WNEV-TV came on seconds later - of note the same booth announcer handled the transition.

I never knew Kraft owned channel 7

Was he the primary mover behind that channel 4/channel 7 CBS/NBC switcheroo in the mid-90s to get Pats games on the channel (for like 2 years until they ironically lost the rights back to CBS)?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I never knew Kraft owned channel 7

Was he the primary mover behind that channel 4/channel 7 CBS/NBC switcheroo in the mid-90s to get Pats games on the channel (for like 2 years until they ironically lost the rights back to CBS)?
No BUT selling his stake in Channel 7 freed up cash he would need a short time later.

1680652108137.png

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Sounds like they are angling Fred out.

The paranoia from Fred is woof.

I'm sure management is thrilled this took place on the air! In my opinion the show simply doesn't need Fred and Wallach. Perhaps those guys being out is why the ratings are better than ever. Inevitably these radio relationships tend to hit some turbulence. When is Fred's contract up? Rich does a good job staying calm but I bet he's had enough of Fred.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Good lord that toucher and rich clip is hard to get through. Knowing the history of those guys it’s difficult to listen to Rich try to take all the heat and keep the ship afloat. How the hell did things get this bad? I haven’t listened in a couple years so this is a major shock.

Seems to me like management should bring an offer to rich as follows:

Name your crew front to back. Anybody you need, we bring in. Just not Fred.

Edit: then again, that could totally ruin the friendship between the two. Whatever might be left of it anyway. Rich is in an almost impossible situation

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Good lord that toucher and rich clip is hard to get through. Knowing the history of those guys it’s difficult to listen to Rich try to take all the heat and keep the ship afloat. How the hell did things get this bad? I haven’t listened in a couple years so this is a major shock.

Edit: then again, that could totally ruin the friendship between the two. Whatever might be left of it anyway. Rich is in an almost impossible situation
It's definitely going to be tough. Rich deserves better but he's a very loyal guy and they've been together for 16 years. If he stays on the show with a new cohost, Fred absolutely will end their friendship, I definitely see him as being that vindictive and petty. If Rich walks with Fred, the station is going to be screwed having to fill the timeslot, so they'd probably have to give him financial and creative incentive to stay. It's going to be hard on him to make that decision.

Anything would start with Lockhart getting re-hired, it's complete bullshit that Rich is paying his salary because the station is cheap. I don't know who else they'd get, like James Stewart or maybe trying to bring Crash back from Atlanta. Or a complete outsider. If they could land Michael Holley it'd be a coup but I don't know if he'd want to do mornings every day.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

I just finished listening to both clips, that's rough. I don't listen to their show but I'm assuming he as good as gone after that.

Reactions: Alicat

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's definitely going to be tough. Rich deserves better but he's a very loyal guy and they've been together for 16 years. If he stays on the show with a new cohost, Fred absolutely will end their friendship, I definitely see him as being that vindictive and petty. If Rich walks with Fred, the station is going to be screwed having to fill the timeslot, so they'd probably have to give him financial and creative incentive to stay. It's going to be hard on him to make that decision.

Anything would start with Lockhart getting re-hired, it's complete bullshit that Rich is paying his salary because the station is cheap. I don't know who else they'd get, like James Stewart or maybe trying to bring Crash back from Atlanta. Or a complete outsider. If they could land Michael Holley it'd be a coup but I don't know if he'd want to do mornings every day.
I thought they weren’t on the best terms with Crash?

Rich is the only on air personality I really like. The rest are fine save for Fred, who I have soured on big time since seeing his drunken tirades during his split. Then again, much of that is on management for allowing him on air that long and letting him rant and rave so many times.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I just finished listening to both clips, that's rough. I don't listen to their show but I'm assuming he as good as gone after that.
I listen usually in the 6am hour and then will check out their podcasts to see if there is any Bruins talk. It took until almost noon to post hours 2-4 and that's when I knew something was up.

I can't believe they are allowing Fred to work sounding that way. He sounds like Harvey Fierstein with vocal fry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad