OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
That's all radio. You can thank the 1996 Telecommunications Act for that which allowed Clear Channel to buy out basically every market in America and homogenize the format.

I should note that personalities like Ron Bennington have gone on the record you used to be able to promote bands even up until the early 2000s and so on as long as you were *ahem* given incentive to play those albums and songs on the air among other things...until one little goody two shoes by the name of Eliot Spitzer put an end to that while he was New York's Attorney General saying that "the radio industry was misappropriating funds" and that "everything must be accounted for" especially when it came to the prizes and such that the radio industry gave out. Which of course meant that other states and the radio stations across the country had to follow suit. So bye bye under the table cash payments to play music. Enjoy listening to Panama by Van Halen for the umpteenth time as the record industry wonders why none of their new artists are making them any money.

In the universe finding a hilarious way for karmic justice to do its job, Spitzer got his comeuppance in the end when he was busted for being part of the Emperor's Club sting in 2008.

Babajingo

Sports Final Flash News : Upfront story is a week old story about the Pats.
I don't know why i have it on every week, Seems like Ch 5 does a more balanced stories.

I understand that 4 is the Pats channel. Just makes it more sad that Burton and Roache and ... are just Patriots shills.

Update : Reese and Burton said to not count the Pats out of Super Bowl contention. the Kraft is strong with these two.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I remember this and immediate thought Anthony & Opie gotta be the dumbest 2 people on the planet
Ya to call something like that the "greatest prank"...wow. Nothing great about it. Pure stupidity.

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
Anybody that wishes 98.5 needs to talk more bruins/hockey should have listened this morning. I only had it on for 10 minutes after dropping the kids at school, but boy were there some gems:
Marchand is better than Cam Neely, and a caller said Neely had a “measly” 395 goals.
Marchand is better than Adam Oates, and Wallach followed up with Oates was an offense only player who didn’t play in his own end.
Wallach is terrified to play Carolina, a “much more physical team who is nearly as talented” as the bruins.
Thank god they don’t spend more time on the bruins.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Ya to call something like that the "greatest prank"...wow. Nothing great about it. Pure stupidity.
I’m sure if the shoe was on the other foot Opie would be chuckling away

I have friends who are comedians and pretty nuts in own right and A&O pranks like that the have sex in church had us talking who’s more clueless those 2 or their sheep - and we were a bunch of 20 and 30 year olds.

They had a niche and knew their was an audience for their schtick but I tried them and laughed 0.0

Reactions: shoulders7

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010

If they had said that Mayor Menino and his Chief of Staff had been traded to New York City in Exchange for Rudy Giuliani and a Deputy Mayor to be named later...

• Haha
Reactions: BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If they had said that Mayor Menino and his Chief of Staff had been traded to New York City in Exchange for Rudy Giuliani and a Deputy Mayor to be named later...
Yes that works

Can each one of us imagine getting pranked a loved one died and some smarmy ass clown apologizes like that turd did

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Anybody that wishes 98.5 needs to talk more bruins/hockey should have listened this morning. I only had it on for 10 minutes after dropping the kids at school, but boy were there some gems:
Marchand is better than Cam Neely, and a caller said Neely had a “measly” 395 goals.
Marchand is better than Adam Oates, and Wallach followed up with Oates was an offense only player who didn’t play in his own end.
Wallach is terrified to play Carolina, a “much more physical team who is nearly as talented” as the bruins.
I had it on from 6-6:30 and as soon as Fred derailed the talk I turned it off.

Gems for sure.

Gotta love the bandwagon fans showing up.

Reactions: shoulders7

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Idk how one could compare Marchand to Neely, different player types to begin with.

Reactions: Alicat

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Michael Felger, one of about three people in the world that makes look positive and sunny

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
I called it quits with F&M when he spent 2010(ish) saying the bruins should trade Toronto's 2 1st rounders for a kovalchuk rental.

When the bruins won the Stanley cup, I checked in on F&M the following fall when the next season started and he had Zero bruins talk. That was the tim Tebow obsession time-frame. He had nothing left...

B's wouldn't win a cup with Neely at the helm
B's can't win with Julien
B's can't win with Thomas
B's can't win with Chara because he's not a true captain.

All gone.

It doesn't surprise me he's going after Pasta, he's the hottest thing B's have had in awhile. So his shtick means he HAS to go after him.

He's a forced contrarian that preys on those that think he's serious while we all wait for substance.

During the season the Laughs 590 / habs 690 get into better detail regarding the bruins than I've ever heard on eei or 98.5. I listen often...
(Both teams recent demise also makes it comical to listen to)

Reactions: jgatie

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I called it quits with F&M when he spent 2010(ish) saying the bruins should trade Toronto's 2 1st rounders for a kovalchuk rental.

When the bruins won the Stanley cup, I checked in on F&M the following fall when the next season started and he had Zero bruins talk. That was the tim Tebow obsession time-frame. He had nothing left...

B's wouldn't win a cup with Neely at the helm
B's can't win with Julien
B's can't win with Thomas
B's can't win with Chara because he's not a true captain.

All gone.

It doesn't surprise me he's going after Pasta, he's the hottest thing B's have had in awhile. So his shtick means he HAS to go after him.

He's a forced contrarian that preys on those that think he's serious while we all wait for substance.

During the season the Laughs 590 / habs 690 get into better detail regarding the bruins than I've ever heard on eei or 98.5. I listen often...
(Both teams recent demise also makes it comical to listen to)
You are underestimating Felger. I think he is truly a bit of a contrarian. What he does is drastically overrate a team, or underrate a team based on whatever gets him ratings. I find most of his Bruin takes reasonable. He likes two-way players and Pasta, for all of his tremendous impact, is not that. He underrates the team and nitpicks because he knows the fan base is loyal but tough and will respond to him angrily. The Celtics he generally overrates because he knows he can tear them down later and the loyal, but generally passive, green teamers will not say much.

Babajingo

You mean they didn't talk about how much the Pats back up center looks like Hall?
or how Belichek is the most influential person on Monty
or how the 04 Pats could beat this years Bs, on the ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad