OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Does anyone know people who gamble that do say that I’m up? Can’t remember anyone telling me I’m down $$$$. Yet it’s a billion dollar business. Tons of companies going ape shit in Mass. It’s annoying having to hear and watch ads. The scheming going on. To bad there are dumb people who fall for it. They always keep you hooked.

Reactions: HustleB and sarge88

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Not judging anyone's choices, either. But your bitcoin bets aren't being advertised by Big Papi and Big Z on sports broadcasts my nine-year-old is watching.

The superbowl two years ago had a ton of adds for crypto with celebs in them.

Some of them are getting sued now because of it.

Reactions: BMC

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Does anyone know people who gamble that do say that I’m up? Can’t remember anyone telling me I’m down $$$$. Yet it’s a billion dollar business. Tons of companies going ape shit in Mass. It’s annoying having to hear and watch ads. The scheming going on. To bad there are dumb people who fall for it. They always keep you hooked.

Just like anything else it’s all about self control which a lot of people just don’t have. Go to a gas station on a Friday afternoon after payday and watch the guy drop 100’s of dollars on scratch tickets. Or the guy who is at the liquor store as soon as they open to buy nips.

There are so many ways for them to get your money from you if you aren’t smart about it.

And i say this as someone who participates in sports gambling but I budget it out as entertainment. I’m not betting on every game or just betting to bet though.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
We were discussing how strong an impact the deluge of gambling ads and gambling quasi news would have on coverage. Here is exhibit A for gambling driven fake news: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-world-reacts-to-brutal-patriots-news/ This is "brutal" news to no one, except Fan duel etc. Sorry, the link does not work, but the Brutal news is the Patriots have 70-1 odds of winning the Super Bowl.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Being a year removed from moving out of the states where sports talk radio as one of my few pseudo escapes from everything else going on in the world made me realize how much a comic by the name of Jim Norton really hit the nail on the head. Sports talk radio is nothing but a bunch of god damned hearsay, lol. And the sad thing is though that those are the only type of stations still around. Rock stations ended themselves by playing the same songs over and over again, good talk radio got a nuclear bomb taken to it in the 2000s by FCC fines and suspensions getting so absurd that you couldn't do radio with a real cutting edge to it (miss the days of Howard and O&A), satellite was basically what video and audio streaming is today only with more people listening, and all we are left with now is bad sports takes and NPR. *sigh* I miss good radio.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I know some people make a living as professional sports gamblers like that James Holzhauer guy, and if you're going to be systematic, mathematical, using statistical analysis to guide your decisionmaking, I see very little difference between that and playing options on the stock market. Informed speculation is still speculation. The issue with both is that you need to have control over your emotions and not give in to greed or make mistakes out of fear. And there are a lot more of the latter than the former playing the games.

I've only actually gambled on sports twice, both times when I was visiting family in NH where you can play draftkings, and both times I put in about $25 betting against the Pats and lost it because they beat the Ravens in a rainstorm during the Cam Newton year and they beat the spread against Brady and the Bucs the following year despite still losing the game (truly the worst of all possible outcomes). But I have a ton of TSLA and BTC in my robinhood account so who am I to judge people for listening to the Bankroll Boys podcast and betting on Bryant basketball games and Russian volleyball?

It should be noted that a lot of the analytics guys are also compulsive gamblers that are addicted to betting because of people like Nate Silver and such talking up their shit around sports.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

BSJ Live Q&A: Donnelly on Bruins/NHL - 10 a.m. Wednesday, 3.29.23​

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Over the years the only people I have known that made money betting sports were baseball bettors.

Look the matrix is simple - you budget X a week - if you lose don't chase to get even.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Over the years the only people I have known that made money betting sports were baseball bettors.

Look the matrix is simple - you budget X a week - if you lose don't chase to get even.
Much less variation over the course of the year. Just bet a small set amount on the Yankees 162 nights a year and you're going to come out with many more wins than losses

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Howie Carr has no love for Entercom/Audacy but he makes some valid points

After I began my 2455-day sentence in radio hell, I kept begging the empty suits to at least put me on FM. In those days, before streaming, apps, social media etc., it was a real detriment to be stuck on AM, a band fewer than 15 percent of listeners ever used.

Besides Shillville, Entercom had other beyond-belief-bad stations in the cluster. One played the worst rock of the last 50 years – WAAF. That was the Beavis & Butthead station. It had ratings lower than whale excrement. So they bought it a second FM stick for $27 million. The ratings remained in the toilet.

One day the suits took me out to the Stockyard and asked me what I wanted. I said I only needed one thing. I asked them to give me one of the WAAF sticks. The bosses were shocked. We can’t do that, they said.

“Why?” I said. “WAAF has zero ratings with two sticks, you can get no ratings with one stick too.”

WEEI had no competition until 2008, when CBS decided to put a real sports station on FM, Sports Hub. I figured it would take a year to knock off WEEI. It only took six months. Entercom made it even easier, by getting rid of the only decent show they had – Callahan and Minihane.

Five years ago, Entercom bought CBS Radio. They had to decide which stations to divest in Boston. One choice was between Sports Hub and WEEI, which is the radio equivalent of picking between the QE2 and the SS Minnow.

Entercom picked WEEI. They also had to choose between WAAF and WZLX. They picked Beavis and Butthead.

Now Entercom stock is in the tank. Last Friday, at 3:58 p.m., somebody unloaded 7 million shares. The share price fell to $.089.

Entercom – call it Audacy if you like – now has a market capitalization of about $15 million. That averages out to about $50,000 for each of their 230 stations. Put another way, the entire company is worth about half of what the company once paid for that second stick for the unlistenable WAAF.

Entercom stock used to sell for about $60. Now it’s a dime. There’s nothing left, nothing. It would take a heart of stone not to laugh.

WEEI is as dead as a doornail. Their meal ticket was always the Red Sox. Who watches the Red Sox now on TV, let alone listen on the radio?

It is rare that agree with Howie but the way Entercom/Audacy botched the buying of CBS Radio in the Boston market defies logic.

ENTERCOM had WEEI-FM 93.7 Lawrence, WEEI-AM 850 Boston, WRKO-AM 680 Boston, WAAF-FM 107.3 Westborough, WKAF-FM 97.9 Brockton.

CBS RADIO had WBZ-FM 98.5 Boston, WBZ-AM 1030 AM Boston, WZLX-FM 100.7 Boston, WODS-FM 103.3 Boston and WBMX-FM 104.1 Boston.

Entercom in taking over CBS Radio had to shed Boston properties to keep US regulators happy.

Entercom decided to keep WEEI-FM and spin-off 98.5 WBZ-FM in a trade with Beasley for WMJX-FM 106.7 and CASH.

Entercom then worked out a swap with iHeart which took control of WBZ-AM, WRKO-AM, and WZLX-FM in Boston and Entercom got stations in other markets in return.

The Red Sox contract with WEEI expires at the end of the 2023 season with a team option for 2024.

Most media pundits believe NESN (FSG) will buy WEEI-FM and AM and the Bruins will move there next season.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

After I began my 2455-day sentence in radio hell, I kept begging the empty suits to at least put me on FM. In those days, before streaming, apps, social media etc., it was a real detriment to be stuck on AM, a band fewer than 15 percent of listeners ever used.

Besides Shillville, Entercom had other beyond-belief-bad stations in the cluster. One played the worst rock of the last 50 years – WAAF. That was the Beavis & Butthead station. It had ratings lower than whale excrement. So they bought it a second FM stick for $27 million. The ratings remained in the toilet.

One day the suits took me out to the Stockyard and asked me what I wanted. I said I only needed one thing. I asked them to give me one of the WAAF sticks. The bosses were shocked. We can’t do that, they said.

“Why?” I said. “WAAF has zero ratings with two sticks, you can get no ratings with one stick too.”

WEEI had no competition until 2008, when CBS decided to put a real sports station on FM, Sports Hub. I figured it would take a year to knock off WEEI. It only took six months. Entercom made it even easier, by getting rid of the only decent show they had – Callahan and Minihane.

Five years ago, Entercom bought CBS Radio. They had to decide which stations to divest in Boston. One choice was between Sports Hub and WEEI, which is the radio equivalent of picking between the QE2 and the SS Minnow.

Entercom picked WEEI. They also had to choose between WAAF and WZLX. They picked Beavis and Butthead.

Now Entercom stock is in the tank. Last Friday, at 3:58 p.m., somebody unloaded 7 million shares. The share price fell to $.089.

Entercom – call it Audacy if you like – now has a market capitalization of about $15 million. That averages out to about $50,000 for each of their 230 stations. Put another way, the entire company is worth about half of what the company once paid for that second stick for the unlistenable WAAF.

Entercom stock used to sell for about $60. Now it’s a dime. There’s nothing left, nothing. It would take a heart of stone not to laugh.

WEEI is as dead as a doornail. Their meal ticket was always the Red Sox. Who watches the Red Sox now on TV, let alone listen on the radio?

It is rare that agree with Howie but the way Entercom/Audacy botched the buying of CBS Radio in the Boston market defies logic.

ENTERCOM had WEEI-FM 93.7 Lawrence, WEEI-AM 850 Boston, WRKO-AM 680 Boston, WAAF-FM 107.3 Westborough, WKAF-FM 97.9 Brockton.

CBS RADIO had WBZ-FM 98.5 Boston, WBZ-AM 1030 AM Boston, WZLX-FM 100.7 Boston, WODS-FM 103.3 Boston and WBMX-FM 104.1 Boston.

Entercom in taking over CBS Radio had to shed Boston properties to keep US regulators happy.

Entercom decided to keep WEEI-FM and spin-off 98.5 WBZ-FM in a trade with Beasley for WMJX-FM 106.7 and CASH.

Entercom then worked out a swap with iHeart which took control of WBZ-AM, WRKO-AM, and WZLX-FM in Boston and Entercom got stations in other markets in return.

The Red Sox contract with WEEI expires at the end of the 2023 season with a team option for 2024.

Most media pundits believe NESN (FSG) will buy WEEI-FM and AM and the Bruins will move there next season.
but who actually listens to Sirott and Beers outside of Boston.... you have to remember, not everything north of Boston is either WEEI or WBZ AKA Sports Hub.... the dominate stations here in Maine are Atlantic Coast Communications aka the WJAB/WJJB Conglomerate, who are essentially the Entercom (Audacy)/Beasley mix and then SAGA Communications is the other dominate company in Southern Maine..... Bennett Radio Group has solidified the Central/Western Maine region when they acquired Gleason Media.... but even then, the days of terrestrial radio coverage of local/regional sports being seen/shown are rare today then they were 20 years ago, as Internet Radio efforts like MixLr became the dominate form of sports media radio-wise..... Atlantic Coast barely holds the rights to teams in Portland through WJAB FM AS THE Maine Celtics carved their niche at the Expo.... but the Sea Dogs/Mariners have gone pretty much either on radio.... or to MixLr ENTIRELY after years on terrestrial radio.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
but who actually listens to Sirott and Beers outside of Boston.... you have to remember, not everything north of Boston is either WEEI or WBZ AKA Sports Hub.... the dominate stations here in Maine are Atlantic Coast Communications aka the WJAB/WJJB Conglomerate, who are essentially the Entercom (Audacy)/Beasley mix and then SAGA Communications is the other dominate company in Southern Maine..... Bennett Radio Group has solidified the Central/Western Maine region when they acquired Gleason Media.... but even then, the days of terrestrial radio coverage of local/regional sports being seen/shown are rare today then they were 20 years ago, as Internet Radio efforts like MixLr became the dominate form of sports media radio-wise..... Atlantic Coast barely holds the rights to teams in Portland through WJAB FM AS THE Maine Celtics carved their niche at the Expo.... but the Sea Dogs/Mariners have gone pretty much either on radio.... or to MixLr ENTIRELY after years on terrestrial radio.
@CHRDANHUTCH - current Bruins network

Massachusetts

WBZ-FM Boston – 98.5 FM
WVEI Worcester – 1440 AM
WBEC Pittsfield – 1420 AM
WPKZ Fitchburg – 1280 AM
WWEI Springfield – 105.5 FM
WXTK Hyannis – 95.1 FM
WNAW North Adams – 1230 AM
WMRC Milford – 1490 AM

New Hampshire

WTPL Concord – 107.7 FM
WEEY Keene – 93.5 FM
WTSN** Portsmouth/Dover – 1270 AM
WZEI Laconia – 101.5 FM

Vermont

WCPV Burlington – 101.3 FM
WCFR Springfield – 106.5 FM/1480 AM

Maine

WHXR Portland – 106.3 FM
WEZQ Bangor – 92.9 FM
WTME Rumford – 780 AM

Rhode Island

WVEI Providence – 103.7 FM
WOON Woonsocket – 1240 AM

New York

WEAV Plattsburgh – 960 AM

**: Celtics take precedence

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
@CHRDANHUTCH - current Bruins network

Massachusetts

WBZ-FM Boston – 98.5 FM
WVEI Worcester – 1440 AM
WBEC Pittsfield – 1420 AM
WPKZ Fitchburg – 1280 AM
WWEI Springfield – 105.5 FM
WXTK Hyannis – 95.1 FM
WNAW North Adams – 1230 AM
WMRC Milford – 1490 AM

New Hampshire

WTPL Concord – 107.7 FM
WEEY Keene – 93.5 FM
WTSN** Portsmouth/Dover – 1270 AM
WZEI Laconia – 101.5 FM

Vermont

WCPV Burlington – 101.3 FM
WCFR Springfield – 106.5 FM/1480 AM

Maine

WHXR Portland – 106.3 FM
WEZQ Bangor – 92.9 FM
WTME Rumford – 780 AM

Rhode Island

WVEI Providence – 103.7 FM
WOON Woonsocket – 1240 AM

New York

WEAV Plattsburgh – 960 AM

**: Celtics take precedence
the Bone as WHXR is known as is Binnie Media; WTME technically doesn't exist as it's co-mingled with WOXO/WIGY in Bennett's primary offices in Norway; there's a satellite studio in my city; WEZQ has no true relevance to Southern/Central/Western Maine since Bangor is classified as the boundary to Eastern Maine

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
the Bone as WHXR is known as is Binnie Media; WTME technically doesn't exist as it's co-mingled with WOXO/WIGY in Bennett's primary offices in Norway; there's a satellite studio in my city; WEZQ has no true relevance to Southern/Central/Western Maine since Bangor is classified as the boundary to Eastern Maine
@CHRDANHUTCH :dunno:

Years ago I recall Stephen King found out the local AM station in Bangor was dropping the Red Sox and was told there was nothing he could do to reverse the decision.

King BOUGHT the station.

In Portland, JJ Jeffrey will stay loyal to WEEI period.

Reactions: rfournier103

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
@CHRDANHUTCH :dunno:

Years ago I recall Stephen King found out the local AM station in Bangor was dropping the Red Sox and was told there was nothing he could do to reverse the decision.

King BOUGHT the station.

In Portland, JJ Jeffrey will stay loyal to WEEI period.
so Atlantic Coast Radio, LLC likely renews or will they lose those rights if NESN BUYS WEEI.... and thanks as always

Last edited:

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

>WAAF

>one of the worst rock radio stations

WAAF only had low ratings because WBCN syndicated Howard Stern and then Opie and Anthony. Hard to fight against those two ratings titans in radio. Also, rock radio kept killing its own ratings in every market in America by not promoting new bands and playing the same damn 50 songs.

Reactions: rfournier103

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Please be sure to spare a thought for the struggling, barely able to scrape by, uh... *checks notes* ... NFL owners in your lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad