OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
>WAAF

>one of the worst rock radio stations

WAAF only had low ratings because WBCN syndicated Howard Stern and then Opie and Anthony. Hard to fight against those two ratings titans in radio. Also, rock radio kept killing its own ratings in every market in America by not promoting new bands and playing the same damn 50 songs.

This, and then they started calling it Classic Rock to justify the bad decision.

Reactions: EvilDead

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
>WAAF

WAAF only had low ratings because WBCN syndicated Howard Stern and then Opie and Anthony. Hard to fight against those two ratings titans in radio. Also, rock radio kept killing its own ratings in every market in America by not promoting new bands and playing the same damn 50 songs.

That's all radio. You can thank the 1996 Telecommunications Act for that which allowed Clear Channel to buy out basically every market in America and homogenize the format.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Slots are programmed to lose. Worst odds in all of gambling.
Next time avoid the Blackjack machine and hit a table. Farthest seat on the left to see the shoot. Watch it. Then tip that waitress for a free drink.

Actually, all gambling games are "programmed" or designed to lose, otherwise why call it gambling? And slots offer great odds, most pay out over 95%. It's not the bad odds that keep the lights on in Vegas, it's the reinvestment. Vegas knows if they pay out 95%, it's almost always going back in the machine. Walk away when you are ahead and you will never go broke.

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It’s going down the drain even further. This week has been brutal. Poor Rich.
Agree, poor Rich, he's a good guy but he needs support that Fred just isn't giving. He can't do the show on his own. Wallach isn't able to carry the weight as the 2nd chair.

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
Agree, poor Rich, he's a good guy but he needs support that Fred just isn't giving. He can't do the show on his own. Wallach isn't able to carry the weight as the 2nd chair.
I’d love to see them give Rich and Hardy a try. Could be a very funny show. Fred simply has to go. Every time he’s on how it’s all about him talking about his sad life.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Felger just asserted that having Krejci on the left elbow of the second pp was a big change because Pasta usually plays there on both units. Krejci plays there quite often. On rare occasions, he plays the mid-point and Pasta plays on both units. At least get your information right, Felger.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I’ve never hear a more ill prepared for, poorly informed segment in all my years listening to sports radio than today’s iteration of Mazz’s Tiers with his NBA power rankings.

And yet, it was incredibly hilarious.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
>WAAF

Famously WAAF was the first home of Opie and Anthony before they got fired for saying that mayor Menino had died on april fools day.

Then years later they got syndicated on WBCN and were #1 in town.

Reactions: BMC and EvilDead

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Fred Toucher through the first quarter of radio

65 Available Days
12 Days Off
5 Vacation Days

17 days off out of 65.
Not that I'm a fan of their show, but aren't you constantly complaining that his voice is terrible and that he sucks, yet now you're complaining he's not on often enough for your liking? Seems to me you want to have your cake and eat it too here...:naughty:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not that I'm a fan of their show, but aren't you constantly complaining that his voice is terrible and that he sucks, yet now you're complaining he's not on often enough for your liking? Seems to me you want to have your cake and eat it too here...:naughty:

Fred tweeted yesterday his throat might be f***ed and he's really worried. And he had (has?) a bacterial infection that made his voice basically unlistenable, hence all the time off. Not like he's calling in from Tahiti every Friday.

Reactions: EvilDead and LSCII

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
That's all radio. You can thank the 1996 Telecommunications Act for that which allowed Clear Channel to buy out basically every market in America and homogenize the format.

CBS Radio is just as responsible for it as Clear Channel, but yeah.

I'm just a bitter person who misses when radio was interesting and wants to go back twenty years back to when the medium was still good and not what it is now with dry hair Howie and drollery everywhere else.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Tune in this morning at 7:30. WEEI talking to Elliot from Jordan's Furniture. Flip over to 98.5 and they are talking gambling.

"I demand that you shoot me now." - Daffy Duck

The sad thing is that at least that's more captivating than most "morning zoo" talk shows that fail to even be remotely interesting to anyone. When 98.5 talking about gambling is the best ratings grab on talk radio compared to everything else...there's issues. And it's not like satellite's much better. SiriusXM cowered and tucked tail due to the legal climate that prevented personalities from doing what they could get away with back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad