OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
What a ****king schmuck! "Gary Bettman is my friend" do you think that endears hockey fans to you pal?

Soccer and Golf on tv for me are essentially the same: When I want a good nap I tune in to either and off to la la land.

I wonder if he got some nasty pushback from guys like Chelios or Messier. Like how
would you like your face rearranged pushback.

Use to wonder if Eddie Andelman got pushback from Boston players. I remember
him dissing the Bruins, telling people on WEEI less than complimentary things about
Bruin players during the Orr era.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I wonder if he got some nasty pushback from guys like Chelios or Messier. Like how
would you like your face rearranged pushback.

Use to wonder if Eddie Andelman got pushback from Boston players. I remember
him dissing the Bruins, telling people on WEEI less than complimentary things about
Bruin players during the Orr era.
LOL, one thing he used to like to say was "Bruins players buy houses on the north shore to be closer to Canada..." lol

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Celtics seem to be stumbling a bit, but the Bruins have won 10 straight! Which of the the two teams has a better shot at winning a championship?

Reactions: rfournier103

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
It's time for NESN to retire Dave O'Brien. He is so lazy and unengaged it is distracting. You gotta feel bad for Will Middlebrooks, OB's color sidekick for the last few games. In the Sunday Sox-Yankees game. O'Brien raved about the Yankees' top prospect, shortstop Anthony Volpe, but didn't notice when Marcelo Mayer, the Sox' most exciting prospect since Devers, replaced Christian Koss at shortstop. Middlebrooks, who is quite solid, noticed and raved about his potential. Later, when Mayer came to bat, O'Brien referred to him as "Koss," then corrected himself (or was corrected by somebody in the truck) by mispronouncing Mayer's name. Other Red Sox minor leaguers would make plays without O'Brien even knowing their names, or making any effort to tell us who they were. At one point he engaged with his typical banter with Middlebrooks about the fact that Middlebrooks was about to return home to Mass. just in time for the big snowstorm. Middlebrooks charmingly talked about how he was looking forward to seeing his young kids. A few innings later O'Brien noted that he himself was on his way home to face the snowstorm, while Middlebrooks would be basking in the Florida sunshine. Middlebrooks diplomatically pointed out that he also would be back in Mass. In a previous game, O'Brien said the Twins would be a strong team this year because, among other things, they had the defending AL batting champ, Luis Arreaz. The Twins traded him to the Marlins in January in one of the off-season's most high-profile transactions.

Reactions: sarge88

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
It's time for NESN to retire Dave O'Brien. He is so lazy and unengaged it is distracting. You gotta feel bad for Will Middlebrooks, OB's color sidekick for the last few games. In the Sunday Sox-Yankees game. O'Brien raved about the Yankees' top prospect, shortstop Anthony Volpe, but didn't notice when Marcelo Mayer, the Sox' most exciting prospect since Devers, replaced Christian Koss at shortstop. Middlebrooks, who is quite solid, noticed and raved about his potential. Later, when Mayer came to bat, O'Brien referred to him as "Koss," then corrected himself (or was corrected by somebody in the truck) by mispronouncing Mayer's name. Other Red Sox minor leaguers would make plays without O'Brien even knowing their names, or making any effort to tell us who they were. At one point he engaged with his typical banter with Middlebrooks about the fact that Middlebrooks was about to return home to Mass. just in time for the big snowstorm. Middlebrooks charmingly talked about how he was looking forward to seeing his young kids. A few innings later O'Brien noted that he himself was on his way home to face the snowstorm, while Middlebrooks would be basking in the Florida sunshine. Middlebrooks diplomatically pointed out that he also would be back in Mass. In a previous game, O'Brien said the Twins would be a strong team this year because, among other things, they had the defending AL batting champ, Luis Arreaz. The Twins traded him to the Marlins in January in one of the off-season's most high-profile transactions.
Actually he sounds like the type of announcer NESN prefers, I assume he work cheap.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
DOB has a good voice (aside from the whistling S thing) and is a good radio announcer and a good national tv announcer where you want to remain neutral, etc. But he doens't have the personality to be a team's primary TV PBP man. Of all the dumb things Tom Werner's ever done, firing Orsillo for O'Brien was #1.

I love me some Mike Monaco though, hopefully they do the right thing and promote him before he gets stolen away by another market.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
DOB has a good voice (aside from the whistling S thing) and is a good radio announcer and a good national tv announcer where you want to remain neutral, etc. But he doens't have the personality to be a team's primary TV PBP man. Of all the dumb things Tom Werner's ever done, firing Orsillo for O'Brien was #1.

I love me some Mike Monaco though, hopefully they do the right thing and promote him before he gets stolen away by another market.
Monaco would be a huge improvement.

Reactions: Fenway

FRyan4426

Feb 15, 2023
Kingston, MA
Any idea what’s up with Fred on the morning show? Been MIA the last 2 days. I know he had the voice issue but also seems like he’s been “sick” 20 times the last month.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Man sounds like a tea kettle with a generic fake radio voice. Give me someone with personality.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Any idea what’s up with Fred on the morning show? Been MIA the last 2 days. I know he had the voice issue but also seems like he’s been “sick” 20 times the last month.
He posted on IG that management and his doctors have ordered him to rest.

I think management has received a lot of complaints about Fred and his voice and overall attitude. He's made the show impossible to listen to. He's resentful and bitter. He derails Bruins talk with his relationship issues and the way he goes after Wallach for getting the opportunity to call Celtics games on the radio is over the top.

Their contract is up at the end of the year so I wonder what they plan to do. I doubt Rich stays without Fred

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Gambling talk is everywhere. Bound to happen. A lot of people going to be broke.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Not sure if this was posted or if this is the right thread for it but on Barstool/Spittin Chiclets lastest Sandbagger features Pastrnak and Fiala taking on Whit and Bisonette. Just finished watching on YouTube and it's pretty good , lots of good chirps from Pasta.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad