OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Hearing Mazz might be gone. Hopefully he’s replaced with a POC. Over a decade on the air and 98.5 has yet to have a full time POC host. Embarrassing.

I'd say the odds of Mazz being gone are zero point zero.

It would be dumb if they didn't suspend him, even for just a day, but no chance they are firing him. That show is a ratings bonanza, and in all his years on the air he's never said anything like this. I think the New Orleans aspect of the joke explains why he said it without malice, but carelessness is not an excuse. It was clearly and unequiviocally offensive and obviously stupid as shit, but no chance he gets fired over this.

If it happens a second time that's very different.

(I've been consistent with this over the years, even with hosts I don't like: you get paid to speak on the radio live for 4 hours a day every day you're eventually going to f*** up. It's why I think both intent and personal history matter in determining punishment.)

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Hearing Mazz might be gone. Hopefully he’s replaced with a POC. Over a decade on the air and 98.5 has yet to have a full time POC host. Embarrassing.
Lol who are you hearing this from? Why would they let him on the air immediately after? Just so he could apologize? I will say that WEEI has flipped the script in that they have Jermaine Wiggins and also two females in prominent on air roles.

Reactions: EverettMike

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Lol who are you hearing this from? Why would they let him on the air immediately after? Just so he could apologize? I will say that WEEI has flipped the script in that they have Jermaine Wiggins and also two females in prominent on air roles.
They did that years ago when they had Michael Holley, Steve Buckley, Trenni Kusnierek, Alex Reimer...

Reactions: sarge88

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They did that years ago when they had Michael Holley, Steve Buckley, Trenni Kusnierek, Alex Reimer...
That's true. Everyone only focused on Dennis and Callahan. But ya, Sports Hub has had zero diversity outside of LeRoy the fill in guy. Is Joe Murray African-American? I thought maybe but I am not sure.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That's true. Everyone only focused on Dennis and Callahan. But ya, Sports Hub has had zero diversity outside of LeRoy the fill in guy.

It's genuinely disgraceful. My thoughts on EEI over the years are well known, but they are lightyears ahead on this. And they did so without any real pressure or fanfare.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Oof ya you don't want to make it on to TMZ. I would be stunned if he's not suspended. The station is probably just waiting to hear the reaction that this gets before making a decision.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Learning that Felger really did have his car stolen in New Orleans once gives it at least context to see where the comment came from, but still, I can't believe he thought that was a good idea to say even in that context. It's one thing to make a joke among friends but you're on air, dude. You know the rules, guarantee all the on-air talent has probably gone through numerous diversity and racial sensitivity seminars over the past 2-3 years as well. Pretty dumb.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The only 2 people on the Sports Hub that have openly identified as a POC are Gasper and Leroy. The Hub does need more diversity but at this point it will seem reactionary and there will be a subset of their audience who will bring politics etc. into it and reject it outright.

I am not giving WEEI any credit. They let racism reign supreme for many years and did nothing about it until it hit the news and embarrassed them.

Mazz being suspended without pay is a good start and a commitment to providing hosts with proper training and to making the on air talent more inclusive will go a long way.

I thought it's more embarrassing the fact they all have to take a sensitivity class.
Perfectly acceptable and a must.

Reactions: GahdenRinkRat

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Nothing Just opinion. Personally I'd feel more embarrassed being forced to take a class(or classes) than being suspended without pay.

I've never been suspended but we get that sort of stuff all the time. We're constantly updating best practices. And while I might not agree with everything or roll my eyes at some of it, I find I usually learn something.

If nothing else I learn how not to put my company in a bad spot. Considering how obviously stupid Mazz's comment was, it might be a good thing for him to go through a new/another round of classes like that.

Reactions: Alicat

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Mazz suspended the rest of the week. Steep.
I think it's fair. Should not be fired but a few days off is appropriate.

Learning that Felger really did have his car stolen in New Orleans once gives it at least context to see where the comment came from, but still, I can't believe he thought that was a good idea to say even in that context. It's one thing to make a joke among friends but you're on air, dude. You know the rules, guarantee all the on-air talent has probably gone through numerous diversity and racial sensitivity seminars over the past 2-3 years as well. Pretty dumb.
Not only just once, it was recent too. I think a few months ago?

Get ready for the Felger and Trenni show 2-6
I am all for diversity but please God no

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I think it's fair. Should not be fired but a few days off is appropriate.

Not only just once, it was recent too. I think a few months ago?
I worded that post wrong, my bad.
When I said 'steep' I didn't mean it as if I thought it was too steep, just that it was a heavier punishment then I had expected, seeing as he doesn't have a previous record (I don't think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad