OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Trying to go through this thread to find the answer but I’m listening to 98.5 and Mazz is making an apology and sounds like he’s almost in tears. What did he say?
That's what I'm wondering. I think I had their show on in the background on Friday but I must've missed it.

@GatorMike I actually do I remember hearing that but I wasn't watching the simulcast so I didn't 'catch it'.

So dumb. Ugh.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
After Mazz apologizes for his racist comments

It goes stright into they should trade Hall and Grizz

Truly the worst

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Mazz was the tease for the 6pm news. Not good. What he said is unacceptable. He knows better. I think a suspension is warranted. You can not say shit like that on air.

Reactions: dangermike

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Yeah I saw this on Twitter yesterday. I like Mazz but you can't say that. I guess Felger had his car stolen in New Orleans a while back and maybe that's what he was referencing?

I don't think that type of joke is in character with him to be fair, but it's still not okay.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Felger on Friday was broadcasting remotely from New Orleans, where his daughter attends college. The loud and animated talk show host was doing the show in a hotel business service center where people log onto computers, and two Black individuals were sitting behind Felger at the time.

“Yeah, I want to know now who the two guys behind you are, that’s what I want to know. Because if I were you …” Massarotti said, as Felger told the guys behind him that he’d be off the air in 2 minutes.

“… They can’t hear us, right?” Massarotti then asked Felger, who said the people couldn’t hear the hosts broadcasting from Waltham. “OK, so I would be careful if I were you because the last time you were around a couple of guys like that, they stole your car.”

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Mazz was the tease for the 6pm news. Not good. What he said is unacceptable. He knows better. I think a suspension is warranted. You can not say shit like that on air.
I truly think he didn't intend for it to be as bad as it was but this day & age you can't say that on air.

A brain fart joke. He apologized and I say leave it at that.
Exactly.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yeah I saw this on Twitter yesterday. I like Mazz but you can't say that. I guess Felger had his car stolen in New Orleans a while back and maybe that's what he was referencing?

I don't think that type of joke is in character with him to be fair, but it's still not okay.
Yes, it was on camera from a local shop. They showed it on the simulcast.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I truly think he didn't intend for it to be as bad as it was but this day & age you can't say that on air.

Exactly.
I don’t think there was any malicious intent but he should have known better and simply not say it.

He needs a week off. Felger got suspended for horrendous comments a few years ago. Precedent was set then.

I don’t think Mazz is an awful person and I don’t think he should lose his job but he needs to be held accountable.

I hope this served as a wake up call to every show.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Why the hell would Mazzaroti deserve a pass for this?

Since he doesn't typically have to look at other people when hes doing his show he conducts himself appropriately but the minute a couple of black people enter the cameras its time to make a comment about them stealing cars.

He clearly says shit like this all the time off the air.
Without knowing any of the facts and as brutal as their standard "act" is, one would hope/expect Mazz is better than that....

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Agree on suspension. What i disagree with is there's a lot of stuff on Twitter about how Felger and Mazz have walked the line near racism for years and I just totally disagree with that.

The joke itself is fine in a vacuum but not when you say it while the camera is on a black man in background. Basically, say it with a white guy in background and you're good. That's just reality. Mazz knows better but I won't criticize him too much for one terrible moment in however many years he's been in the business.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I didn't realize Felger was actually in New Orleans, same place car was stolen. I would say that is one mitigating factor for the stupid joke but ya I am surprised he hasn't been suspended. He earned one.

He clearly says shit like this all the time off the air.
I mean this is just a giant leap. I would think we would have heard more screw ups if this were the case.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Chris Gasper is taking a beating on Twitter from both sides of the spectrum...sheesh.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Felger said some shit a few years ago and got suspended for a week or two. I firmly expect Mazz to be suspended and he has to be.
We'll see. I'm not saying he won't be suspended but what Felger said was a lot worse and he wasn't even suspended for a business day. Just the weekend by NBC.

Edit: he missed that Friday.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I mean I guess.

Part of his job description is to not say racist shit so I don't think hes done it discussing athletes good for him I guess if we need to give people credit for this at all but the first time hes doing the show when Mikey is in a random room somewhere and there just happen to be 2 black people he just can't help himself but go there?
So the one mitigating factor is Felger was back in New Orleans. I truly think Mazz was poking fun at Felger getting his car stolen there and was probably looking to work in a joke about it somewhere and then forced it where he clearly shouldn't have. Still suspension worthy though.

He'll get another chance and be fine Mazz lines up with a good portion of their marketing demographic the older barstool crowd that hates Kyrie but is cool with Gordon Hayward
What does this mean? Kyrie is objectively one of if not the biggest tool in the sport. Just a narcissistic a-hole who thinks he's smarter than he is.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
My guess is that show rakes in too many viewers and $ always wins the argument so not suspended.
Ya depends on sponsors and who is calling the station. Still I think a suspension is absolutely reasonable. He doesn't need to be fired but hearing him right back on today seemed wrong.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I mean I guess.

Part of his job description is to not say racist shit so I don't think hes done it discussing athletes good for him I guess if we need to give people credit for this at all but the first time hes doing the show when Mikey is in a random room somewhere and there just happen to be 2 black people he just can't help himself but go there?

He'll get another chance and be fine Mazz lines up with a good portion of their marketing demographic the older barstool crowd that hates Kyrie but is cool with Gordon Hayward I just think we might have gotten a taste of what hes really like over a bunch of beers and no mics.

Every demographic hates Kyrie.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It's still early and the Red Sox don't appear to be contenders, BUT here is some Red Sox news that will put a smile on your face, The Boston Globe's Chad Finn joins the guys to talk about his latest book, "The Boston Globe Story of the Boston Red Sox: More Than a Century of Championships, Challenges, and Characters."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad