OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Either station going to start talking about the Bruins besides the occasional Felger swapping from they stink too if they don’t win the cup they choked once every month.
they arent going to talk hockey because felger is probably the only one that watches hockey. All the other guys watch the men in tights.
hillman does have mike millbury on sometimes and i enjoy listening to that on youtube.
all the other time i flip on these sports channels they repeat the same stuff about football.. and i hear the same calls. you could literally play a recording from weeks ago and its the same stuff.

Reactions: Fenian24

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

First thought upon confirming Friday the weeks-long expectation that longtime 98.5 The Sports Hub evening host Adam Jones is jumping to WEEI to host its afternoon-drive program: There’s a better chance of Matt Patricia starting at slot receiver for the Patriots next season than there is of the new show — co-hosted by Meghan Ottolini and also featuring Christian Arcand — overtaking The Sports Hub’s powerhouse “Felger and Mazz” show in the Nielsen Audio ratings.

That’s not a knock on WEEI’s revamped trio (or Patricia’s three-cone drill scores, for that matter), though I do have skepticism about Jones’s approach that I’ll get to in a second. Since joining WEEI last May, Ottolini has proven a savvy hire. She had a knack for bringing out the humor in former co-hosts Christian Fauria and Lou Merloni before that show was shaken up last month, and has quickly connected with Arcand, who joined WEEI in November and has long been one of the most underrated talents in the market. There’s potential here.

But “Felger and Mazz” — The Sports Hub’s afternoon-drive program since the station’s inception in August 2009, hosted by Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti — is an unprecedented ratings monster in the history of Boston sports radio, at least in an age when there is more than one prominent sports station.

If it is at all susceptible to a challenge, it hasn’t shown up in the ratings, where it has been No. 1 among men 25-54 in every three-month ratings period since spring 2012. In the most recent ratings “book” this fall, “Felger and Mazz” earned a huge 21.1 share, finishing first. WEEI’s “Merloni, Fauria, and Mego” program was second, with a 10.0, WEEI’s strongest number in a long time but not enough to prevent a lineup reshuffling.

Mike Thomas, senior vice president and market manager in Boston for Audacy, WEEI’s parent company, has a unique place in recent Boston sports radio history. He put together the original lineup — including pairing Felger and Massarotti — for The Sports Hub in 2009 as program director for the then-CBS Radio-owned station. (After a hiatus in Chicago, Thomas joined Audacy in October 2021.) He also hired Jones there, in 2012, and noted this past week that this is their “third run” together. Thomas clearly sees something in Jones.

Confession: I don’t get what, and from this vantage point, it’s impossible to see Jones leading anything close to a genuine challenge of “Felger and Mazz’s” throne.

Jones, a Northeastern graduate, was an intern and update anchor on Felger’s ESPN 890 program from 2006-08. His approach of contrived negativity is so similar to Felger’s that I’ve occasionally referred to Jones as the intramural version.

But Jones’s approach — “It’s all going to go wrong with that team you like, and you shouldn’t feel good about anything” — lack’s Felger nuance. Felger mixes a trick play into the playbook once in a while, such as sometimes dismissing a bad Patriots loss as nothing to get too worked up about when listeners are expecting him to take a verbal blowtorch to the team. Jones trashes indiscriminately. It gets old, fast.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

First thought upon confirming Friday the weeks-long expectation that longtime 98.5 The Sports Hub evening host Adam Jones is jumping to WEEI to host its afternoon-drive program: There’s a better chance of Matt Patricia starting at slot receiver for the Patriots next season than there is of the new show — co-hosted by Meghan Ottolini and also featuring Christian Arcand — overtaking The Sports Hub’s powerhouse “Felger and Mazz” show in the Nielsen Audio ratings.

That’s not a knock on WEEI’s revamped trio (or Patricia’s three-cone drill scores, for that matter), though I do have skepticism about Jones’s approach that I’ll get to in a second. Since joining WEEI last May, Ottolini has proven a savvy hire. She had a knack for bringing out the humor in former co-hosts Christian Fauria and Lou Merloni before that show was shaken up last month, and has quickly connected with Arcand, who joined WEEI in November and has long been one of the most underrated talents in the market. There’s potential here.

But “Felger and Mazz” — The Sports Hub’s afternoon-drive program since the station’s inception in August 2009, hosted by Michael Felger and Tony Massarotti — is an unprecedented ratings monster in the history of Boston sports radio, at least in an age when there is more than one prominent sports station.

If it is at all susceptible to a challenge, it hasn’t shown up in the ratings, where it has been No. 1 among men 25-54 in every three-month ratings period since spring 2012. In the most recent ratings “book” this fall, “Felger and Mazz” earned a huge 21.1 share, finishing first. WEEI’s “Merloni, Fauria, and Mego” program was second, with a 10.0, WEEI’s strongest number in a long time but not enough to prevent a lineup reshuffling.

Mike Thomas, senior vice president and market manager in Boston for Audacy, WEEI’s parent company, has a unique place in recent Boston sports radio history. He put together the original lineup — including pairing Felger and Massarotti — for The Sports Hub in 2009 as program director for the then-CBS Radio-owned station. (After a hiatus in Chicago, Thomas joined Audacy in October 2021.) He also hired Jones there, in 2012, and noted this past week that this is their “third run” together. Thomas clearly sees something in Jones.

Confession: I don’t get what, and from this vantage point, it’s impossible to see Jones leading anything close to a genuine challenge of “Felger and Mazz’s” throne.

Jones, a Northeastern graduate, was an intern and update anchor on Felger’s ESPN 890 program from 2006-08. His approach of contrived negativity is so similar to Felger’s that I’ve occasionally referred to Jones as the intramural version.

But Jones’s approach — “It’s all going to go wrong with that team you like, and you shouldn’t feel good about anything” — lack’s Felger nuance. Felger mixes a trick play into the playbook once in a while, such as sometimes dismissing a bad Patriots loss as nothing to get too worked up about when listeners are expecting him to take a verbal blowtorch to the team. Jones trashes indiscriminately. It gets old, fast.

EverettMike: influencer

• Love
Reactions: sooshii

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Either station going to start talking about the Bruins besides the occasional Felger swapping from they stink too if they don’t win the cup they choked once every month.
I heard him address this on their off air show. It's one of those things where football is king basically all year. He admits though that he talks what the callers call about. Basically regular season hockey is not the best day to day topic for them.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Basically a long way of saying Jones is Felger on negativity steroids. I am not sure i care to listen to Megan and Arcand but I am just curious if Jones changes at all.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I heard him address this on their off air show. It's one of those things where football is king basically all year. He admits though that he talks what the callers call about. Basically regular season hockey is not the best day to day topic for them.

I get it. Bruins are #4 in town. Pats are 1.

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
Basically a long way of saying Jones is Felger on negativity steroids. I am not sure i care to listen to Megan and Arcand but I am just curious if Jones changes at all.

Lazy take by Finn (surprise.) Can’t beat F&M so don’t try? Out of touch. If that’s your take, then no move they make is good enough for you. A slight bump in ratings across afternoons and nights would be a win for Audacy.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
I get it. Bruins are #4 in town. Pats are 1.

I listened to the hockey show today and the guys were joking there was nothing to talk about. The Bruins are so good. This is Beers and Judd etc. They had trouble finding things to nitpick. It’s just a fact that a struggling team is more interesting to dissect. Honestly it was putting me to sleep until Ty Anderson came in and had some takes

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Pretty sure Felger said if the Bruins sucked that they would do more hockey takes but I understand where he's coming from. A lot harder to really set up a bunch of interesting/viewer listening/watching material where the Bruins are where they are.

Reactions: MyNameIsJonas

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
would tune into Mut at night as my last ditch effort to listen to WEEI for some Boston sports talk but now its pretty dull radio

I like Mutt but Keefe is better. Give him a try

Pretty sure Felger said if the Bruins sucked that they would do more hockey takes but I understand where he's coming from. A lot harder to really set up a bunch of interesting/viewer listening/watching material where the Bruins are where they are.

Yup. But playoff time he’ll be on board

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
One thing I have thought of is I work at home so my TV is on. The fact that the Sports Hub guys have a simulcast from 10-6 has to be huge. I know it's not factored into radio numbers but I just gravitate to having the TV on in background rather than streaming.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
One thing I have thought of is I work at home so my TV is on. The fact that the Sports Hub guys have a simulcast from 10-6 has to be huge. I know it's not factored into radio numbers but I just gravitate to having the TV on in background rather than streaming.

I tend to work in silence from home, but the rare times I do put something on I do the exact same thing.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

UnAnchored Boston Episode 43

SO...has Robert Kraft shortened the leash on Bill Belichick after missing the playoffs? Do you think Bill wants out? Will the Patriots have a new head coach next season?
What are the most likely AFC and NFC championship matchups?
What about Tom Brady? Will he or won't he........RETIRE?
Are the Bruins or Celtics more likely to make it to the respective NHL and NBA finals?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
they arent going to talk hockey because felger is probably the only one that watches hockey. All the other guys watch the men in tights.
hillman does have mike millbury on sometimes and i enjoy listening to that on youtube.
all the other time i flip on these sports channels they repeat the same stuff about football.. and i hear the same calls. you could literally play a recording from weeks ago and its the same stuff.

Debatable.

McCarthy such a better host than Joe Murray...

McCarthy is horrendous. Absolutely downright horrendous. He is a combination of Mazz and Jones. He has the negativity of Jones, the trolling of Jones, and the sports intelligence of Mazz.

Woooooooooooooooooooooof

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not really. Just listening and Felger was talking about last nights Bruins game. Murray and Mazz had no idea what he was talking about and Mazz even admitted “I was mostly on Celtics”

They all suck eggs. That whole station has gone to shit. I guess WEEI wanted to join in by taking the biggest pile of shit to compete.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Not really. Just listening and Felger was talking about last nights Bruins game. Murray and Mazz had no idea what he was talking about and Mazz even admitted “I was mostly on Celtics”
Actually I watched more Celtics myself

Switched at 7:30

Mego & Arcan favorite team is basketball

Greg Hill show talks Hockey usually 6-6:30

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
They all suck eggs. That whole station has gone to shit. I guess WEEI wanted to join in by taking the biggest pile of shit to compete.

I don’t think sports radio is for you

Actually I watched more Celtics myself

Switched at 7:30

Mego & Arcan favorite team is basketball

Greg Hill show talks Hockey usually 6-6:30

I do enjoy Wiggy’s beer league stories

Reactions: Johnnyduke and DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad