OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
2 really good bruins podcast interviews recently.

McAvoy was on the Empty Netters podcast. Really good interview. Talks a lot about growing up on long island and his family.

Montgomery was on Spittin Chiclets. Also a really good interview (no Biz so not a ton of dumb questions), super humble guy.

Reactions: Alicat and sooshii

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Toucher needs to go.

He’s like friggin Eyore with his tale of woe each morning.

I do agree with him however that Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan are the best play by play announcers in sports.

On another note, I’ve been flipping over to Mad Dog Russo some afternoons and he’s hilarious. He just had it out with Peter King and it was amazing.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
2 really good bruins podcast interviews recently.

McAvoy was on the Empty Netters podcast. Really good interview. Talks a lot about growing up on long island and his family.

Montgomery was on Spittin Chiclets. Also a really good interview (no Biz so not a ton of dumb questions), super humble guy.
Both were great.

Reactions: danpantz

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Love Joe Murray on the weekends. Food and football. Are you kidding me? Nothing better. Great low key radio while doing yard work. Hardest working guy around, hope he lands a regular gig.
Haven't seen anything official but I am curious to see if they give McCarthy a week, McKone etc and make a decision. I personally like McCarthy the best of their internal candidates.

Reactions: smithformeragent

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I do agree with him however that Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan are the best play by play announcers in sports.

I can't stand Ian Eagle & Charles Davis. Better now that Fouts is gone, but I still find them both awful.

If he just did play-by-play, he isn't bad at all, but him and Davis's editorial stuff grates on me so much. Can't even explain why really.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Our radio guys may be bad, but at least none of them threatened to fire a producer on the air like Michael Kay

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
Haven't seen anything official but I am curious to see if they give McCarthy a week, McKone etc and make a decision. I personally like McCarthy the best of their internal candidates.

Yep I’ll miss McCarthy on Saturday afternoons but he’s good, he’s definitely on the rise and could handle a nightly show.

That hole that WEEI has been in for the past several years just got 20 feet deeper with the Jones hire. It's like Edmonton hiring Chiarelli as President/GM to lead them to the promised land.

Their afternoon show wasn’t good before though, Jones will boost their ratings a bit. That combined with Keefe at night and taking Jones out of that time slot, weei should see a slight bump in ratings. I doubt anyone over there thinks they are going to beat Sports Hub

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That hole that WEEI has been in for the past several years just got 20 feet deeper with the Jones hire. It's like Edmonton hiring Chiarelli as President/GM to lead them to the promised land.
I don't agree with this at all. I can understand hating Jones just like a lot of people hate Felger. But this is the exact type of hire WEEI needed if they want to try and challenge Felger. Is Jones always negative? Yep, he's worse than Felger in that regard. But he's still a good host and can be funny. He's also present on social media which doesn't hurt him. In the end it still might fail because I have no idea who he will be paired with. Mazz is a much more entertaining #2 with Felger than whoever WEEI had to pair up with Jones.

Edit: Just read the release where it will be Jones with Mego and Arcand? Ya, that's not gonna challenge Felger and Mazz.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Their afternoon show wasn’t good before though, Jones will boost their ratings a bit. That combined with Keefe at night and taking Jones out of that time slot, weei should see a slight bump in ratings. I doubt anyone over there thinks they are going to beat Sports Hub
Plus the guy responsible for shaping the Sports Hub lineup is now running WEEI. So he sorta has an idea of what worked for the Sports Hub.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Love Joe Murray on the weekends. Food and football. Are you kidding me? Nothing better. Great low key radio while doing yard work. Hardest working guy around, hope he lands a regular gig.
Joe is awesome. I grew up down the street from him and know many of the same people he does. The guy deserves a shot full time and I hope he gets Jones' spot. It will be a throwback to DA but better.

I don't think people realize how hard he actually works between his full time job and the station.

Give him the full time gig and he'll be great.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
In my opinion it is Jim Murray that sucks................Too many cannabis deliveries.......
The amount of money the industry pumps back into the state makes me tolerate them a lot more. I only really hear them when I stream tho. Wait until sports betting is finally underway.

I'll take cannabis delivery ads over that god awful Kars for Kids scam commercial

Reactions: StrBender

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The amount of money the industry pumps back into the state makes me tolerate them a lot more. I only really hear them when I stream tho. Wait until sports betting is finally underway.

I'll take cannabis delivery ads over that god awful Kars for Kids scam commercial
The money really only comes back to the states on paper it then filters its way to other hands............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad