OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The money really only comes back to the states on paper it then filters its way to other hands............
I'm sure it does but that is off topic and not for this board. I use that logic to prevent me from breaking my phone or radio whenever an ad comes on

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm sure it does but that is off topic and not for this board. I use that logic to prevent me from breaking my phone or radio whenever an ad comes on
Take no offense but you brought up the revenue into the state and the cars for kids, cannabis is a bigger scam than cars for kids , but I do agree pretty annoying commercial................

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The issue is not whether Jones can be an even more negative Felger. The issue is that he's boring as f***. You can predict his take 100% of the time. Just assume the most negative, most unreasonable/unfair/uninformed opinion possible and you always know what he's going to say.

Felger might be a heel, but he'll surprise you sometimes by being reasonable or even starngely positive. That's what makes him a good hell. Sometimes you totally agreed with Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, or Roddy Piper! Hell, Bobby Heenan wasn't always negative, which is what made those compelling. You actually had to listen to them, even if you hated what they said most of the time. Sometimes they'd say something and you'd think, "Okay, he has a point."

Jones is a caricature of a caricature and it's so f***ing boring. He's gonna bomb there long term.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The issue is not whether Jones can be an even more negative Felger. The issue is that he's boring as f***. You can predict his take 100% of the time. Just assume the most negative, most unreasonable/unfair/uninformed opinion possible and you always know what he's going to say.

Felger might be a heel, but he'll surprise you sometimes by being reasonable or even starngely positive. That's what makes him a good hell. Sometimes you totally agreed with Mr. Perfect, Ric Flair, or Roddy Piper! Hell, Bobby Heenan wasn't always negative, which is what made those compelling. You actually had to listen to them, even if you hated what they said most of the time. Sometimes they'd say something and you'd think, "Okay, he has a point."

Jones is a caricature of a caricature and it's so f***ing boring. He's gonna bomb there long term.
We don’t see eye to eye. But you are spot on with this.

Reactions: LSCII

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
I think Jones and Arcand will do well. Got a lot of friends who say that was their favorite show. Good move by WEEI, keep poaching talent. Maybe Joe Murray is next

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I think Jones and Arcand will do well. Got a lot of friends who say that was their favorite show. Good move by WEEI, keep poaching talent. Maybe Joe Murray is next

willy-wonka-stop-dont-come-back.gif

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

I don't think he's boring at all. Unless it's the negativity itself that bores you. Jones can be funny. A lot of "straight" sports talkers are boring because they talk sports and have zero personality. I don't think that's the case with Jones. I think he's anything but boring. With that said, pairing him with Mego and Arcand? Now that's boring. And I'm not just saying this as a Jones defender. There were plenty of times I turned him off because of the predictable forced negative take that even Felger wouldn't say. I will be fascinated to see how the ratings do on 98.5 night time shift now. If it's someone like Joe Murray? I think you'll see a massive drop off and probably a boost for Rich Keefe.

I am interested to see if he changes his persona at all now that he's gotten the "dream" gig in radio--that 2-6 time slot. Will he be doing his John Henry impersonations on the home of the Red Sox? Ultimately it might just be that nobody can touch Felger and Mazz for the foreseeable future but I think Adam Jones gives WEEI their best chance considering what they have been throwing out there.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I don't think he's boring at all. Unless it's the negativity itself that bores you. Jones can be funny. A lot of "straight" sports talkers are boring because they talk sports and have zero personality. I don't think that's the case with Jones. I think he's anything but boring. With that said, pairing him with Mego and Arcand? Now that's boring. And I'm not just saying this as a Jones defender. There were plenty of times I turned him off because of the predictable forced negative take that even Felger wouldn't say. I will be fascinated to see how the ratings do on 98.5 night time shift now. If it's someone like Joe Murray? I think you'll see a massive drop off and probably a boost for Rich Keefe.

I am interested to see if he changes his persona at all now that he's gotten the "dream" gig in radio--that 2-6 time slot. Will he be doing his John Henry impersonations on the home of the Red Sox? Ultimately it might just be that nobody can touch Felger and Mazz for the foreseeable future but I think Adam Jones gives WEEI their best chance considering what they have been throwing out there.
Jones is flat out terrible.

Like @EverettMike stated

He is predictable

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Jones is flat out terrible.

Like @EverettMike stated

He is predictable
Yes, that's your personal opinion. And I realize his negativity is predictable. But as a radio host, he is good at what he does. I'd imagine that's why the guy who used to run the Sports Hub brought him over for the important 2-6 slot. Maybe it doesn't work, who knows. Sorta like how I think Fred Toucher is absolutely awful. Yet they seem to kill it in the ratings.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yes, that's your personal opinion. And I realize his negativity is predictable. But as a radio host, he is good at what he does. I'd imagine that's why the guy who used to run the Sports Hub brought him over for the important 2-6 slot. Maybe it doesn't work, who knows. Sorta like how I think Fred Toucher is absolutely awful. Yet they seem to kill it in the ratings.
So you are telling me you like predictable.

If you like it fine.

I will not listen to someone saying the opposite just because

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So you are telling me you like predictable.

If you like it fine.

I will not listen to someone saying the opposite just because
Not necessarily. There's stuff he's right on and then there's stuff that he forces and I turn him off. But simply being predictable is also a charge Felger and Mazz face and they crush it in the ratings. People have this myopic view of sports talk that everyone should be Mike Mutnansky. That is what's boring and doesn't get ratings. Jones and Felger are entertaining and can piss people off. No, not everyone likes it but it is what it is.

• Haha

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Not necessarily. There's stuff he's right on and then there's stuff that he forces and I turn him off. But simply being predictable is also a charge Felger and Mazz face and they crush it in the ratings. People have this myopic view of sports talk that everyone should be Mike Mutnansky. That is what's boring and doesn't get ratings. Jones and Felger are entertaining and can piss people off. No, not everyone likes it but it is what it is.
We will disagree

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Love Felger, who knows his stuff. Would rather rip my face off than listen to Jones. He admits openly his only angle is be contrarian and negative. And he doesn't really know enough about sports to do otherwise.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If I wanted to listen to Felger, I would tune into Felger. Ken Laird failing upwards.

What an absolute choad.

Go do a morning show with a chick on an adult contemporary station and talk about Dancing With The Stars. Which is pretty much what you are doing. You'll have your "You're absolutely right, Adam" guy with you too.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Excellent take

Mego isn’t or hasn’t shown to be even 1% troll so I’m not sure Jones will be as bad as he has been

WEEI and Sports Hub had a different style but bringing over Jones will be curious to see what they are doing

Fred unfortunately has hijacked the morning show into his messed up life - I like him overall but I’m not interested about what age he got to second base 15 times a year

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Either station going to start talking about the Bruins besides the occasional Felger swapping from they stink too if they don’t win the cup they choked once every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad