OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I always wonder what guys like Matt McCarthy and DJ Bean etc do for work outside their part time media duties.

I’m pretty sure Bean was full-time at nbc sports. He was all over that channel for a while.

Him and Pete Blackburn have a Patreon podcast too but I don’t think that would be enough to make a living.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We can see where this is headed

Matthew Volk, an executive with experience integrating sports betting with sports content, will be the new chief operating officer at NESN.

The Bowdoin graduate oversaw the launch and management of Audacy’s “BetQL Network,” featuring experts’ picks programming, within the company’s sports radio, digital editorial, podcast, and livestreaming portfolio.

As senior vice president at Audacy, Volk also helped launch the 2400Sports podcast division.
Before Audacy, Volk worked at NBC Sports Washington as vice president of content strategy, overseeing the network’s content creation, operations, and studio programming. Part of Volk’s purview included two sports betting initiatives, as well as the network’s digital content strategy.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
We can see where this is headed

Matthew Volk, an executive with experience integrating sports betting with sports content, will be the new chief operating officer at NESN.

The Bowdoin graduate oversaw the launch and management of Audacy’s “BetQL Network,” featuring experts’ picks programming, within the company’s sports radio, digital editorial, podcast, and livestreaming portfolio.

As senior vice president at Audacy, Volk also helped launch the 2400Sports podcast division.
Before Audacy, Volk worked at NBC Sports Washington as vice president of content strategy, overseeing the network’s content creation, operations, and studio programming. Part of Volk’s purview included two sports betting initiatives, as well as the network’s digital content strategy.
Nesn is going to be even more unwatchable.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I know someone alluded to Adam Jones going to WEEI but has that been announced? It looks like the Sports Hub has scrubbed his show from their lineup on their website. When was the last time he was on air?

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
I know someone alluded to Adam Jones going to WEEI but has that been announced? It looks like the Sports Hub has scrubbed his show from their lineup on their website. When was the last time he was on air?
huh, that's interesting. I was wondering why he wasn't on last night. Gave a listen to Keefe for a bit, wasn't too bad. Sports talk radio has been really hard to listen to the last few days due to the Hamlin injury.

Complete speculation on my part, but maybe the Sports Hub doesn't want to invest too much in a late night host due to mostly just being Bruins/Celtics games at night anyway? They also fired Arcand a few months ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyNameIsJonas

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Isn't WEEI now run by guy who ran the Sports Hub? He'll have Jones, Keefe and Arcand under him now.

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
huh, that's interesting. I was wondering why he wasn't on last night. Gave a listen to Keefe for a bit, wasn't too bad. Sports talk radio has been really hard to listen to the last few days due to the Hamlin injury.

Complete speculation on my part, but maybe the Sports Hub doesn't want to invest too much in a late night host due to mostly just being Bruins/Celtics games at night anyway? They also fired Arcand a few months ago.

Yes I think this is it. SH have so many broadcast games, they can just fill in with Joe Murray etc on off nights. Easy cost cutting move for Beasley. Good move for WEEI, Keefe is an upgrade over Mutt. He’s more likeable and seems more at ease flying solo.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Thank god the Pats season is over. Now talk radio can concentrate on prospective 5th round picks and back up O Linemen for the Pats.
It'll go on and on and on until the coaching status is solidified. Then when you think you're going to hear Bruins talk it will be 'pitchers and catchers report exactly 5 weeks from now, we'll get you all caught up on that in just a few minutes'.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Chad Finn blatantly ripped me off!

Meanwhile, Adam Jones’s addition to WEEI’s afternoon-drive program appears imminent. Mentions of Jones, the intramural Michael Felger, have mostly been scrubbed from 98.5 The Sports Hub’s website, where he hosted the evening program until his contract expired at the end of the year

did mazz say why he was out for so long?
Health issue(s) but didn't go into great detail. Said his schedule will be a slow build up for the time being until he is ready to get back at it full time.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I will say if WEEI wants to compete with Felger, Adam Jones gives them their best chance in recent memory. I think the problem could be that Jones is more negative than Felger and ALWAYS looks to complain about something. Felger doesn't do that. But maybe Jones reigns it in a bit. This is his first shot at afternoon drive. I think he's actually a good host. He can be funny. Annoying? Sure but that's also part of the job. He's present on Twitter too which doesn't hurt him.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Joe Murray is awful.
Yep. He is not meant to be a permanent lead guy. Plus I hate any and all gambling talk. It's just incredibly boring. Matt McCarthy at least has some energy and I think could make a good night host but does he have the personality? If they are gonna go with someone from within, McCarthy would be my choice.

People can say they hate Adam Jones but if I am fed Joe Murray? Immediate switch over to WEEI for Rich Keefe. Listening to him right now.

• Love
Reactions: smithformeragent

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I should also add that if WEEI was in the process of hiring Adam Jones why not give Jones and Keefe a run in afternoon drive? Didn't they have good chemistry at the Hub?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
did mazz say why he was out for so long?

(33:03) Mazz gives an update of where he has been recently.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tony Massarotti has been at 98.5 The Sports Hub since the station’s inception in 2009.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Don’t understand the dislike of Joe Murray. Who doesn’t want constant gambling and Alice in Chains talk?
he also constantly talks about roast beef sandwiches. I get that is a thing for people in Massachusetts (I still don't understand the fascination even after living here for over a decade) but it's Joe Murray's entire personality.

• Haha
Reactions: Walkenthewalk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad