OT: Official Sports Media Thread X: WEEI's owner is nearly broke

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Just a terrible take here. Kirk was awful. All about him all the time. Listening to that bullshit for 20 second made me want to drive into a brick wall.

You can hate him all you want. The ratings don’t lie. They’ve gone into the shitter since the day he stopped being in air

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You can hate him all you want. The ratings don’t lie. They’ve gone into the shitter since the day he stopped being in air

The fact no one else has given him a radio show tells you everything you need to know. You can have amazing ratings, but it doesn't matter if advertisers (or the local baseball team whose rights were/are keeping you solvent) want nothing to do with you. Guy made himself completely toxic by the end. At the end of the day it was basic market forces that forced him off the air.

Reactions: LSCII

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
The fact no one else has given him a radio show tells you everything you need to know. You can have amazing ratings, but it doesn't matter if advertisers (or the local baseball team whose rights were/are keeping you solvent) want nothing to do with you. Guy made himself completely toxic by the end. At the end of the day it was basic market forces that forced him off the air.

He’s still bad with advertisers now even at barstool. But that’s not what I’m arguing. Since he has been off the air at EEI there ratings have tanked.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
He’s still bad with advertisers now even at barstool. But that’s not what I’m arguing. Since he has been off the air at EEI there ratings have tanked.

I don't think it's a "no Kirk" issue. I think it's a poor lineup combined with the fact EEI's listeners skewed older to begin with. The station also turned off an entire generation of listeners and it's hard to recover from something like that.

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
Kirk was masterful during Deflategate. He absolutely eviscerated national writers and their "logic" on a daily basis (Bart Hubboch comes to mind.) Kirk is a sharp guy, you could tell when he was focused he could absolutely drive you into a corner if you hadn't prepared your defense. Of course, like everything else he ended up taking it too far (suggesting Goodell should be murdered) and when left to cover a random assortment of topics he went haywire. I do believe he had some serious mental health issues at the end of his WEEI tenure so I think he deserves some leeway there. I haven't kept up with what he's doing these days but obviously it didn't go well for anyone at WEEI really. But I look back at the Deflategate era of sports radio with a smile. It was one of the most ludicrous contrversies in sports history but thanks to a select few it ended up bringing out some of the greatest comedic moments in radio.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
NBC 10/NECN ending coverage in Vermont and Jack Thurston has been/will be released as of 12/30/22, as the bureau there closes permanently

Reactions: MyNameIsJonas

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They stunk to begin with. You honestly think they’d have fired him if he was making them money with good ratings? When did he get yanked? I’ll look up the ratings book with his numbers vs the sports hub and I guarantee it won’t be close.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
They stunk to begin with. You honestly think they’d have fired him if he was making them money with good ratings? When did he get yanked? I’ll look up the ratings book with his numbers vs the sports hub and I guarantee it won’t be close.

I believe it was in September of 2018 or around then

They beat the sports hub in his last book

Lost the next one and then it was over

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I believe it was in September of 2018 or around then

They beat the sports hub in his last book

Lost the next one and then it was over

Yeah but he wasn’t on air for most of that book. It even says it in the link you posted. He was on mental health leave for most of it, so it wasn’t him that was the X factor since he was barely there. And then he got fired to boot.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Yeah but he wasn’t on air for most of that book. It even says it in the link you posted. He was on mental health leave for most of it, so it wasn’t him that was the X factor since he was barely there. And then he got fired to boot.

Missed a week in august, left in September.

Either way, you guaranteed it wasn’t close. They used to be 1 and 2 pretty much every ratings period. Now EEI is way behind.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Missed a week in august, left in September.

Either way, you guaranteed it wasn’t close. They used to be 1 and 2 pretty much every ratings period. Now EEI is way behind.
Again he was on then off then MIA then back then fired. Nobody was tuning in to hear him bc it wasn’t known if he’d even be there.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Again he was on then off then MIA then back then fired. Nobody was tuning in to hear him bc it wasn’t known if he’d even be there.

Okay. Did you look up the ratings to find that the ratings weren’t close like you guaranteed? Because i seem to remember the two morning shows battling for a while. Now it’s not even close.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Okay. Did you look up the ratings to find that the ratings weren’t close like you guaranteed? Because i seem to remember the two morning shows battling for a while. Now it’s not even close.
No because you posted that and I didn’t get into it since you had. I’m fine checking and I do recall it was back and forth for a bit. Not sure how long but it was. Didn’t John Dennis quit abruptly because of Kirk too? It’s going back years but that sticks in my memory for some reason. He hated working with him?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
No because you posted that and I didn’t get into it since you had. I’m fine checking and I do recall it was back and forth for a bit. Not sure how long but it was. Didn’t John Dennis quit abruptly because of Kirk too? It’s going back years but that sticks in my memory for some reason. He hated working with him?

I believe Kirk pushed him out and they did hate each other. That’s his MO. Ticking time bomb.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I believe Kirk pushed him out and they did hate each other. That’s his MO. Ticking time bomb.
Now that I can believe. That’s the issue I had with him tbh. He had to make it all about him and as he’s not a likable person, that show was not for me.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Who even listens to Weei anymore?(my phone tried to auto-correct that to 'weed' and I almost left it.)
I like Greg Hill. I like their mix. The mid day show is shit. The afternoon is good. I liked Lou. Mego has grown in me. Not a Fauria fan as he doesn’t know anything but football. That’s the problem. All the talk about is football. Can you imagine the new mid day show coming up? Gresh and Fauria. My god. At least it matches 98.5’s mid day. Both snooze fests.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Legendary Maine Broadcaster and Storyteller John McDonald, who hosted a radio show every weekend for 25 years on Newsradio 560 WGAN.... Passes at 78; McDonald's show was axed in the 1st full year of the Pandemic year of 2020

MyNameIsJonas

Oct 27, 2022
The sticks
I like Keefe at weei. They screwed him over. Not a show over there I’ll regularly listen to now. I do like some of their weekend guests. They’ll probably do a hockey show again on Sunday’s when football is over

Reactions: EverettMike

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I like Keefe at weei. They screwed him over. Not a show over there I’ll regularly listen to now. I do like some of their weekend guests. They’ll probably do a hockey show again on Sunday’s when football is over
It’s going to get worse with the new moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad