*OFFICIAL* Moncton Wildcats 2013-2014 Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BL27

Jun 5, 2013
Cuts

Forwards:

Lafontaine(18)
Burns(17)
Gray(17)
Bower(16)

Defensemen:

Morgan(17)
Belliveau(18)
Kropp(18)

Goaltenders:

Grady(18)
Kelly(17)

This leaves 32 players:

G-Dubeau(19) Hunt(18)

D-Emond(20) Sweeney(18) Yarwood(19) O'brien(19) Johnston(18) Poirier(18) McCabe(17) White(17) Holwell(16)

F-Caissy(20) Lalonde(19) Haas(19) Tremaine(19) Penny(19) Whitlock(18) Bradley(18) Johnson(18) Simpson(18) Drover(18) Tkachev(18) Barbashev(18) Seeger(18) Hynes(17) Garland(17) Smith(17) Curtis(17) Batt(17) Pugsley(17) Tibbo(17) Olivier(16)

Z.Beaudoin and Max Pitre are cut??

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
That's setting the bar high , I agree but I'd be happy if he came in and did what Stephen Johnson did last year. Nothing special but a respectable rookie season never the less.

he needs to focus on having a good 50 game season without major shoulder injuries, which, he has not done in 3 years.
Johnson and Jacob are not the same style player, and Jacob cannot play the role Johnson did last year. Jacob cannot play a 4th line role and be expected to produce. Having said that...is he ready for a top 9 role. Not a chance...even you have to admit.

Go have a healthy/dominant season at midget and come back stronger and more ready for the grind of major junior.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
he needs to focus on having a good 50 game season without major shoulder injuries, which, he has not done in 3 years.
Johnson and Jacob are not the same style player, and Jacob cannot play the role Johnson did last year. Jacob cannot play a 4th line role and be expected to produce. Having said that...is he ready for a top 9 role. Not a chance...even you have to admit.

Go have a healthy/dominant season at midget and come back stronger and more ready for the grind of major junior.

I think he could have a good season in major junior but don't disagree he could benefit from another year of AAA. Sure.It was strictly another option when BizNasty mentioned that he thought Holwell and Olivier were staying because Moncton plans to carry two 97s.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
so, can someone correct me or confirm.
Last week, Lafontaine decided to go home to protect his college eligibility. The wildcats wanted him to stay, they pursued that process and got him to return, only to cut him after a few more days in camp?
And the kid has now lost his college eligibility?

not sure this is fact, just trying to confirm.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Last week, Lafontaine decided to go home to protect his college eligibility. The wildcats wanted him to stay, they pursued that process and got him to return, only to cut him after a few more days in camp?

He left after rookie camp ended because management wouldn't guarantee him a roster spot and he wanted to main his eligibility. After a couple of days at home , he decided to come back and attend main camp to try to clinch a spot on the team. In reality , he was a fairly average player and already 18 years old. Moncton made 9 cuts Wednesday night and he was one of them. He didn't play an exhibition game and he paid his own way , so his US eligibility is still intact.

wein

Jul 2, 2013

He hasn't lost his eligibility. He/his family aren't dumb and the wildcats aren't that big of jerks. He paid his own way after the 48 hours and didn't play any exbition games so he's fine with regards to college.

Last edited:

NEhockeycoach

Sep 9, 2012
I agree that he (Lafontaine) is fairly average. Great IQ in the O-Zone, but thats about it. Not a great skater, definitely not very strong on the puck either.

Glad he tried it and maintained his eligibility. Wish more kids from down here would at least give it a serious look.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
i dont think anyone referred to his family as dumb....as my post indicated, i was trying to find out the facts

tks for the clarification everyone :)

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Moncton beat Halifax 4-3 and 5-4 (SO) in exhibition action. Newly acquired Kyle Tibbo had a strong start for Moncton. He scored two goals on Friday night and added an assist Sunday afternoon. He has good chemistry with fellow Newfoundlander Liam Hynes. 16 year old Olivier Mathieu also had to great games and is making it nearly impossible for management to cut him. He scored two goals in Sunday's game and is a solid two-way presence on the ice. Overall the Cats are down to 32 players(includes Barbashev and Tkachev who aren't present due to visa issues) and the roster is rounding out nicely. I expect Benji Curtis(17) , Michael Poirier(18) and Adam Holwell(16) to be amongs the next cuts.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
So Kyle Haas is fighting 16-year-olds now?

A lot of talk about this "unwritten-rule" of fighting in junior... I don't see a big deal with this. It's not like it's some imposing, Sam Noreau type veteran fighting a rookie, Haas has about 40 games on him and is in fact smaller than Moynihan, as he's a pretty big 16yo... Connor led his league in PIMs last year, and probably wants to make an impression in to his peers and coaches.... It happened right off a face-off, so both parties were willing.... Tee off!

If the team really has a problem with it, Trey Lewis will be right there for the Home Opener.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
A lot of talk about this "unwritten-rule" of fighting in junior... I don't see a big deal with this. It's not like it's some imposing, Sam Noreau type veteran fighting a rookie, Haas has about 40 games on him and is in fact smaller than Moynihan, as he's a pretty big 16yo... Connor led his league in PIMs last year, and probably wants to make an impression in to his peers and coaches.... It happened right off a face-off, so both parties were willing.... Tee off!

If the team really has a problem with it, Trey Lewis will be right there for the Home Opener.

Fair enough. I just don't know how happy I'd be if I were a 19 or 20-year-old on the Mooseheads. Good to know that Connor will fight though.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
It was a stage fight so it's not like Haas jumped him. I think this was more a case of Moynihan wanted to show what he can do. Still no details on the fight. Wonder if Moynihan held his own ?

ns64

Aug 8, 2013
Moncton beat Halifax 4-3 and 5-4 (SO) in exhibition action. Newly acquired Kyle Tibbo had a strong start for Moncton. He scored two goals on Friday night and added an assist Sunday afternoon. He has good chemistry with fellow Newfoundlander Liam Hynes. 16 year old Olivier Mathieu also had to great games and is making it nearly impossible for management to cut him. He scored two goals in Sunday's game and is a solid two-way presence on the ice. Overall the Cats are down to 32 players(includes Barbashev and Tkachev who aren't present due to visa issues) and the roster is rounding out nicely. I expect Benji Curtis(17) , Michael Poirier(18) and Adam Holwell(16) to be amongs the next cuts.

I thought I read somewhere that Holwell was promised a spot on the team ? do you think Whitlock is going to stick with the team?

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I thought I read somewhere that Holwell was promised a spot on the team ? do you think Whitlock is going to stick with the team?

There's some rumours going around but I can't see them keeping him , he's really a year away. They might though. As far as Whitlock goes , I'd like to keep him and Rumble said he wants role players for the bottom six so he certainly fits the bill. I'd give him a 50/50 chance. It comes down to who do you cut ? There's some good young kids with potential that will have to go. (i.e Pusgley,Drover,Olivier,Simpson,Hynes,Tibbo). They can't all stay. Some of those guys are hard to cut.

ArmadaNE

May 18, 2013
Word was pretty clear Seegar was told to come back for Tuesday, apparently he did not return. He wasn't cut according to the paper when he left, and the scoop was he was returning to iron out details with high school. Buzz around rink was he should have been signed, does anyone know what happened?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad