Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’d imagine because his rights don’t expire before the draft. So it rolls over to next draft when his rights expire out in August. Hayes didn’t sign until August of 2014 with the Rangers. The Blackhawks didn’t get the compensation pick until the 2015 draft.

Not sure why this was ever so confusing for people. 2024 seemed obvious from the get-go.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I'm with you on this. He's a dude I wouldn't necessarily pick depending on how the board shakes out at 7 but I would not be upset if they took him (again, depending on how the board shakes out and who else is available). It would be interesting if he is still sitting there at 11-12 if they traded back up to get him. There seems to be a TON of forwards in that 7-20 area that I don't think anyone would blink if these guys went in any order in that range. What's really can shape this draft is when the defensemen will go. I think there's a real possibility that no defensemen go in the top ten, which could mean a lot of trade ups and a run on defensemen in the 10-20 range. There's also a chance that multiple defensemen go in the top ten which could mean a bunch of trades to grab an unexpected forward that dropped.
I have this feeling now that Dvorsky is capable of way more offensive production than we think. His production in the J20 league was consistently super good and he was buried on the 3rd line in the Allsvenskan for a deep SHL organization this year. His production was pretty good for a draft year player but I bet he's capable of way way more. If someone from a time machine told me Dvorsky becomes one of the big steals of the draft and proves a ton of people wrong, I would believe it. But scouts have to talk to his coaches to get the whole picture tbh.

But he definitely needs to work on taking the puck to the slot a bit more and doing less perimeter stuff

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

saophim

Mar 19, 2015
Prague
At 7 OA i would take Smith or Dvorsky.

McKeen's on Smith:
Over the course of the season, Smith’s decision making with the puck has improved by leaps and bounds.
Last year and early on this year, Smith was still learning to pick his spots to try to take on defenders
one on one. He would occasionally skate himself into trouble and offensive zone turnovers were too
commonplace. However, in the second half, these turnovers relatively disappeared from his game as he
learned to trust his linemates even more and made better decisions on when to attack, when to defer, and
when to dump the puck in or circle back to regroup. Creative players like Smith are going to turn the puck
over at the pro level; it’s inevitable as they try to generate scoring chances for themselves or for others.
However, mitigating risk is critical and Smith has shown that he can do that.
The only true concerning aspect of his game is his two-way compete and overall defensive awareness.
When those turnovers do occur, he needs to do a better job of hustling on the backcheck to eliminate
potential scoring chances for the opposition. Additionally, his defensive zone coverage is best described as
inconsistent. He can be too lax physically and this can lead to sustained pressure down low, with his line
getting hemmed in. A perfect role model for Smith would be Toronto’s Mitch Marner, who has transformed
himself into a terrific two-way player despite being around the same size and stature as Smith. Given
Smith’s inconsistent two-way play, there is some concern that he moves to the wing at the pro level.

And on Dvorsky:
Without a doubt, the young Slovak will be drafted to become a future offensive dynamo for his new NHL
organization. He understands time and space in creating angles for himself and as deadly as his accurate
wrist shot has been on oh so many occasions, he’s just as apt to sneak around as a net front presence and
tap in loose pucks from all angles. He’s got “multifaceted weapon“ written all over him.

And they are comparing his maturing process to Draisaitl's. Hell yeah, give me new Leon.

saophim

Mar 19, 2015
Prague
Mckeen's about Leonard:
As a two-way player, Leonard’s relentless pressure in puck pursuit helps him to be an extremely reliable
defensive and neutral zone presence. While it is cliche, he simply never quits on a play and his physicality
is a major weapon for him to help separate opposing players from the puck. It is for this reason that
Leonard was used as one of the U.S.’ top penalty killers this year on the U18 team. Leonard is also a great
shot blocker; again, showing that he is the kind of player who is willing to do anything to help his team
win. Simply put, Leonard is going to be a player that NHL teams will want in their lineup come playoff
time.

The million-dollar question is ultimately…what is Leonard’s upside as a player who is really good at
absolutely everything, but not elite in one thing
? Can he be a first line winger the way guys like Gabriel
Landeskog or Matthew Tkachuk are? Or does he fit into more of the middle of the lineup as a Brandon
Saad or Nick Foligno type? If you’re using a top ten selection on Leonard (and we firmly believe that
someone will), then you definitely imagine that his projection is the former.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
32thoughts on Michkov saying it will be interesting to which teams get to talk to him. Said teams that tried in Russia found it difficult to get to him and that he may want to go to specific teams.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Leonard's fine but at what point do you stop chasing the same architect of player? Another RH too, which I don't think should be much of a consideration at the top, but...
All else being equal, being a RH does matter, if he was clearly BPA, then no.
But it looks like the 2nd tier is pretty even, different qualities but similar value.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
32thoughts on Michkov saying it will be interesting to which teams get to talk to him. Said teams that tried in Russia found it difficult to get to him and that he may want to go to specific teams.

Passing on Michkov because he has preferred teams would be the worst rationale possible.

Reactions: BiggE

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Benson at 7 and Gulyayev at 22 (or earlier if we nab another top 20 pick) is my dream.

Im sure he wants to go to the Caps or Red Wings, but tough shit.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Passing on Michkov because he has preferred teams would be the worst rationale possible.
Why? An already difficult situation made more difficult by a prospect that has a list of teams he won't play for. Seems like that would be a pretty good reason to pass on him. The kid ain't Lindros, if he's drafted and refuses to play for the team that drafted him, you're not getting a franchise altering return for him.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Why? An already difficult situation made more difficult by a prospect that has a list of teams he won't play for. Seems like that would be a pretty good reason to pass on him. The kid ain't Lindros, if he's drafted and refuses to play for the team that drafted him, you're not getting a franchise altering return for him.
If he is the bpa, you take him and get a haul in 3 years if he still doesn't want to play for you.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

I'm not sure it is a matter of refusing to play, just a matter of him having preferred teams. Which is simply too bad for him, I'm sure every kid has a team they want to play for.

Michkov wants to play with Ovechkin? Don't care. Bedard probably wants to play with Crosby.

Take the talent, let him be dissapointed on draft night, and I'm sure he'll be over it in 3 years when he wants to come to the NHL.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If he is the bpa, you take him and get a haul in 3 years if he still doesn't want to play for you.
Would he return a haul though? That assumes 1) three years from now he wants to come to the NHL; 2) he is able to come to the NHL (re: geopolitical issues); and 3) the list of teams he will agree to pay for are willing to give up a haul to take on what could be a risky player who may return to Russia if he doesn't get what he wants in regards to playing time, accolades, etc.

I'm not opposed to picking him, don't get me wrong it may be worth the gamble, but at the same time passing for these reasons makes sense. Also, the first pick of your rebuild probably should not be a guy that HOPEFULLY you can trade in three years if he doesn't want to play here.

I'm not sure it is a matter of refusing to play, just a matter of him having preferred teams. Which is simply too bad for him, I'm sure every kid has a team they want to play for.

Michkov wants to play with Ovechkin? Don't care. Bedard probably wants to play with Crosby.

Take the talent, let him be dissapointed on draft night, and I'm sure he'll be over it in 3 years when he wants to come to the NHL.
That's a different story. I was thinking of it more like Lindros saying "do not draft me I won't play there" kind of situation. If he is just saying "I'd prefer to go to teams X, Y, or Z" but he'll play wherever he is drafted, it is far less risky. Still a risk, but not as risky.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is Michkov really a dominant talent, or the next DeBrincat, who puts up great stats but may never be a factor in the playoffs.
Great skill, but a lot of mixed messages out there.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Is Michkov really a dominant talent, or the next DeBrincat, who puts up great stats but may never be a factor in the playoffs.
Great skill, but a lot of mixed messages out there.
What in the hell does DeBrincat have to do with Michkov? Did you just pick the first offensively talented small winger (isn't Michkov like 6'?) that popped into your head? Also, Michkov's on a completely different level as a prospect. You blurt out the weirdest shit.

Not to mention that DeBrincat's been on almost uniformly not-quite-bubble over-the-hill Blackhawks teams his whole career. He's played a total of 9 playoff games once and scored 6 points.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Am I making this up or do Russian players draft rights either never expire or have like a 7 year expiration? That’s how we were able to hold onto Fedotov for so long? So if we draft Michkov and he wants to play for a certain team, we could simply just let him rot in the KHL for eternity and he’d have to forgo playing in the best league in the world with the most salary potential. If he wants to play in the NHL, there’s not much of a choice for him other than reporting to the team that drafts him and playing out his ELC. Like I said though I could totally be misremembering the rights rules with Russian players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad