Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Not familiar with this guy but if you need some reading material on the draft...

I appreciate his detail, but complaining about Michkov's skating and size before Benson's. Yikes. Michkov looks solidly up to speed in the KHL, on European ice. Benson looks a bit sluggish in the WHL on NA ice

Michkov is also vastly more elusive with the puck. Benson is probably going to be a player who in the NHL has to rely on moving the puck to maintain possession. So as a result his effectiveness would be highly dependent on the quality of the team surrounding him.

Reactions: CutOnDime97

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
In fairness though, Ricci was a pretty highly regarded prospect at the time. It isn't as though they reached for him and Jagr was a much higher regarded prospect (he did go #5, it isn't like the Flyers took Ricci at #1 and passed on Jagr, three other teams also picked worse players). I'm not great with my Eastern European geopolitical timelines, but I think at this time would Jagr have had to "defect" if he wanted to play in the NHL or was he allowed to come over voluntarily?
Ricci was extremely highly regarded by nearly all scouts and an absolutely understandable pick at 4 that year. Now would they have taken him over Jagr if Jagr was a Canadian? Probably not, but then again, if Jagr was born and bred in Canada, he’s probably going 1OA that year.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Why isn't there as much love for Gabe Perrault as there seemingly should be? Are there just better options or is there some flaw in his game that I'm not paying enough attention to? I've seen him go as high as 7 in some mocks to the late teens in others. I'd be cool with him at 7 and then taking either a projectable center or a defenseman at 22.
Subpar skating is the red flag on him.

I have a scary level of confidence this team will f*** up this draft. I'd put money down if I was a deranged gambling addict.
The odds would be so in favor of it though that you’d need to bet $1000 to win $50. I mean they’ve literally f***ed up everything for over a decade, the odds are overwhelming that they f*** this up too.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
The Athletic reports that MTL is diligently trying to swap picks with SJS, but the deal doesn't seem to be easily made, which would strongly imply both teams prefer Will Smith to Michkov. Beyond that, rumors of MTL being concerned about Michkov leave him available at #6. At which point the price to swap picks with Arizona might not be too bad. Or Flyers may have intel that Arizona would pass on Michkov (as I commented earlier, if any team should have worries about their pull to North America it's probably arizona)

Last edited:

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
The Athletic reports that MTL is diligently trying to swap picks with SJS, but the deal doesn't seem to be easily made, which would strongly imply both teams prefer Will Smith to Michkov. Beyond that, rumors of MTL being concerned about Michkov leave him available at #6. At which point the price to swap picks with Arizona might not be too bad. Or Flyers may have intel that Arizona would pass on Michkov (as I commented earlier, if any team should have worries about their pull to North America it's probably arizona)
there are also reports they are trying to move to 2nd, things that will not happen

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Ricci was extremely highly regarded by nearly all scouts and an absolutely understandable pick at 4 that year. Now would they have taken him over Jagr if Jagr was a Canadian? Probably not, but then again, if Jagr was born and bred in Canada, he’s probably going 1OA that year.
This. Jagr was clearly the best player. I watched the WC that year and he dangled and walked around Al Macinnes like he was a pylon.

Reactions: BiggE

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
there are also reports they are trying to move to 2nd, things that will not happen
yeah but the point I suppose is, if SJS wanted Michkov and MTL wanted Smith. The swap might be easier to make. It makes it more likely that SJS wants Smith, that we're hearing about aggressive efforts on MTL's part. And seems to further solidy that MTL doesn't want Michkov

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
yeah but the point I suppose is, if SJS wanted Michkov and MTL wanted Smith. The swap might be easier to make. It makes it more likely that SJS wants Smith, that we're hearing about aggressive efforts on MTL's part. And seems to further solidy that MTL doesn't want Michkov
The habs want Smith big time.

Reactions: Unger9

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Barlow at 7? Do we really need another straight-line shoot-first one-tricky pony?

It'd be one thing if he had resplendent physical tools. Think Tippett. He absolutely does not -- they're quite flat. I don't dislike Barlow, and I assumed I would. But buddy was born to be a grindy NHL 3rd liner, which -- what with the mustache and wearing the 'C' and high compete -- is HockeyGuy™ catnip. He's involved in the play, and you don't have to look for him; even if he shoots too much he's not exactly a one-trick pony or skill deficient, but he's the definition of what you see is what you get. An easy scout. We'll see if Reinbacher and Leonard get reached on above the Flyers, but how many top 10ish rumored prospects look like future regrettable picks is worrisome. This draft is a minefield.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Is it that bad though? Things I've read is more like a strength and conditioning thing, not necessarily skill or form.
Hard to say. His dad was a mediocre skater, but was smart enough and skilled enough to be a good middle six forward. The son might be an even worse skater when you look at each vs the other players of their eras, but he might be more skilled.

It’s probably gonna be boom or bust with this kid, I don’t see much middle ground.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Almost had him in the Simashev, Reinbacher, ASP tier. Really good year for RHD's.

There's no shot they are taking him either. :laugh:

Not that I think he'd be BPA at 22, but in a creative trade down it won't happen. Boy would I love to by a fly in the wall of the Flyers draft room.

Feels very Brandt Clarke-ish. He's bad defensively now and the skating isn't great (probably related), but we know those two things can improve. Those other skills, not so much. He's the most skilled defenseman in the draft and he might not even go in the first. You just can't pay me to take a defenseman top 10.

Last edited:

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I have a scary level of confidence this team will f*** up this draft. I'd put money down if I was a deranged gambling addict.
I’m f*****g terrified. So many talented players available, more than most years, and they will somehow find way to pick the most bland, safe pick imaginable.

Reactions: BiggE

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
> Barlow is a one-trick pony
> we want Michkov

lol guys

And also one thing, which fans of dwarfs try to avoid. Since 2019 Flyers drafted 9 skaters in top-100. Five of them are 5`11 or even smaller (York, Brink, Andrae, Wisdom, Tuomaala). So it`s time to stop laughing about "old school" culture, "mad about size" etc.
Considering they already have Konecny, and everytime adds players like Atkinson, Deangelo etc, seems like they really mad about size - small size

Last edited:

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I hadn't watched Dvorsky's 2023 WJC and I've done somewhat of a 180 on him. My criticisms were all very much wrong because I saw either bad games or old tape. W/ regards to fundamentals and attention to detail, his WJC performance was exceptional for a DY player. He has play driving juggernaut labeled all over him. His one goal in the WJC showcased his shooting ability, which is plus for sure. He also has a one timer. I'm of the belief that his results in the WJC this year could have been way more impressive than they were. Either his line was being used tactically (it seemed like he was constantly on the ice against the other team's top lines) or they were a bit unlucky w/ regards to materialized plays

I don't believe we've had a prospect in recent years who had a more dominant WJC performance from a play driving standpoint than Dvorsky just had in his DY. I'm talking about puck possession, winning loose pucks, creating chances etc. He was phenomenal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be one of the best players in the tournament next year. I don't think there is any issue with his skating whatsoever. He looked completely fine on the IIHF ice and won foot races vs high profile prospects like Shane Wright, Dylan Guenther. I think his finishing ability is good and he has great net front ability. To me the question is regarding his overall offensive IQ or perhaps offensive creativity, from what I saw in the WJC. I'm not sure exactly which one I mean. But this could possibly go back to deployment, coaching, linemates. One goal he scored in the U18 WJC vs Canada (embedded) was a great display of hockey IQ. Instead of making a dumb pass or a low % shot, he strafed sideways in the slot to open up the defender, waited and waited, then buried it when the shot opened up.

He's moved up my rankings, and at this point I'm having trouble deciphering whether I prefer Moore or Dvorsky. I think for the overall toolset and long term ceiling, I prefer Moore? His speed, puck carrying ability, and shooting ability could make him a lethal weapon. But Dvorsky also has a lethal shot (selection could be better but coachable), and he's more of a play driving juggernaut than Moore appears to be, who is no slouch. You also can't understate the fact that Dvorsky looked like a professional amongst already drafted players in the WJC in his draft year. That is quite rare. I think Dvorsky could play in the NHL next year, although I don't recommend it b/c he needs to develop his offensive creativity, But he could. Moore couldn't

I think Kotkaniemi is reasonable comparable for Dvorsky? Does that sound right? Anyways I wouldn't be mad if they take him. Because I think our scouts are fine, and I have trust in Briere to keep this drafting team on track in terms of big picture. The only reasonable pick that would make me seriously wonder, is if they took Reinbacher. It would feel like a reach, but I'd be willing to be convinced that he is in fact an upside pick

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
> we want Michkov

lol guys

And also one thing, which fans of dwarfs try to avoid. Since 2019 Flyers drafted 9 skaters in top-100. Five of them are 5`11 or even smaller (York, Brink, Andrae, Wisdom, Tuomaala). So it`s time to stop laughing about "old school" culture, "mad about size" etc.
Considering they already have Konecny, and everytime adds players like Atkinson, Deangelo etc, seems like they really mad about size - small size

If I'm going for a one trick pony, it's 100% going to be Michkov. Yeah his defense certainly leaves something to be desired, but his offensive ceiling is way up there, like 2nd best in the draft up there.

Reactions: bauer and Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
> we want Michkov

lol guys

Please dont compare Barlow to Michkov.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I hadn't watched Dvorsky's 2023 WJC and I've done somewhat of a 180 on him. My criticisms were all very much wrong because I saw either bad games or old tape. W/ regards to fundamentals and attention to detail, his WJC performance was exceptional for a DY player. He has play driving juggernaut labeled all over him. His one goal in the WJC showcased his shooting ability, which is plus for sure. He also has a one timer. I'm of the belief that his results in the WJC this year could have been way more impressive than they were. Either his line was being used tactically (it seemed like he was constantly on the ice against the other team's top lines) or they were a bit unlucky w/ regards to materialized plays

I don't believe we've had a prospect in recent years who had a more dominant WJC performance from a play driving standpoint than Dvorsky just had in his DY. I'm talking about puck possession, winning loose pucks, creating chances etc. He was phenomenal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be one of the best players in the tournament next year. I don't think there is any issue with his skating whatsoever. He looked completely fine on the IIHF ice and won foot races vs high profile prospects like Shane Wright, Dylan Guenther. I think his finishing ability is good and he has great net front ability. To me the question is regarding his overall offensive IQ or perhaps offensive creativity, from what I saw in the WJC. I'm not sure exactly which one I mean. But this could possibly go back to deployment, coaching, linemates. One goal he scored in the U18 WJC vs Canada (embedded) was a great display of hockey IQ. Instead of making a dumb pass or a low % shot, he strafed sideways in the slot to open up the defender, waited and waited, then buried it when the shot opened up.

He's moved up my rankings, and at this point I'm having trouble deciphering whether I prefer Moore or Dvorsky. I think for the overall toolset and long term ceiling, I prefer Moore? His speed, puck carrying ability, and shooting ability could make him a lethal weapon. But Dvorsky also has a lethal shot (selection could be better but coachable), and he's more of a play driving juggernaut than Moore appears to be, who is no slouch. You also can't understate the fact that Dvorsky looked like a professional amongst already drafted players in the WJC in his draft year. That is quite rare. I think Dvorsky could play in the NHL next year, although I don't recommend it b/c he needs to develop his offensive creativity, But he could. Moore couldn't

I think Kotkaniemi is reasonable comparable for Dvorsky? Does that sound right? Anyways I wouldn't be mad if they take him. Because I think our scouts are fine, and I have trust in Briere to keep this drafting team on track in terms of big picture. The only reasonable pick that would make me seriously wonder, is if they took Reinbacher. It would feel like a reach, but I'd be willing to be convinced that he is in fact an upside pick

I'm with you on this. He's a dude I wouldn't necessarily pick depending on how the board shakes out at 7 but I would not be upset if they took him (again, depending on how the board shakes out and who else is available). It would be interesting if he is still sitting there at 11-12 if they traded back up to get him. There seems to be a TON of forwards in that 7-20 area that I don't think anyone would blink if these guys went in any order in that range. What's really can shape this draft is when the defensemen will go. I think there's a real possibility that no defensemen go in the top ten, which could mean a lot of trade ups and a run on defensemen in the 10-20 range. There's also a chance that multiple defensemen go in the top ten which could mean a bunch of trades to grab an unexpected forward that dropped.

Reactions: Unger9

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
There's no shot they are taking him either. :laugh:

Not that I think he'd be BPA at 22, but in a creative trade down it won't happen. Boy would I love to by a fly in the wall of the Flyers draft room.

Feels very Brandt Clarke-ish. He's bad defensively now and the skating isn't great (probably related), but we know those two things can improve. Those other skills, not so much. He's the most skilled defenseman in the draft and he might not even go in the first. You just can't pay me to take a defenseman top 10.

Idk if I’d say he’s the most skilled in the draft, but he’s up there in terms of offense.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up having a better career than the other 3 dmen I almost had him with.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad