Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013

Attachments

• F201D931-2F6C-4891-BF88-7EC2C7F6BF18.jpeg
    F201D931-2F6C-4891-BF88-7EC2C7F6BF18.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Small skilled players have a place, but how many?
Vegas had two mobile skilled D-men, and one "smurf" on offense.

Flyers have TK, Atkinson, Frost, Brink at forward, Farabee unless he adds strength this summer.
York, Andrae, Sanheim, Zamula.

Flyers don't need more "undersized, less physical" skilled players, they need better ones.

Reactions: Hockeypete49

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Small skilled players have a place, but how many?
Vegas had two mobile skilled D-men, and one "smurf" on offense.

Flyers have TK, Atkinson, Frost, Brink at forward, Farabee unless he adds strength this summer.
York, Andrae, Sanheim, Zamula.

Flyers don't need more "undersized, less physical" skilled players, they need better ones.
It would be an enormous mistake to draft players at the very beginning of a rebuild based on what's here now. You draft players who you believe have the most talent and go from there. I don't care if they're midgets or enormous...the most talent possible.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland

Loved the analysis....

His half board acumen is awe inspiring........many players are stationary while his movement there is beyond reproach. Selke???? Can't hurt can it???
I'd be glad all over if the Flyers pick him

1963-64

In junior high, all the girls in class, would write on their canvas notebooks: "I love the Beatles or Dave Clark Five". After class or school the girls would argue who was better but we [ the guys] would snicker 'cause we knew that the Rolling Stones or the Beach Boys were the " 'manly man' music". Still girl groups were popular: witness the Shangri-Las and Motown and Soul were starting to come to fore too. Happier times but Vietnam War was over the horizon,

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Now do their defense. No one under 6'3. Big and mobile....the new NHL
Big, skilled and mobile is better than small & slow or big slow puck butchers. You can have smaller D and win, but they have to be really good.

What struck me about the final was that Florida beat Boston by running over their smaller D, then Toronto and Carolina. The Panthers looked like killers. Then against Vegas, guys like Bennett, Duclair and Cousins were trying to hit, but just bouncing off the Knights like Bantams playing against men.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It would be an enormous mistake to draft players at the very beginning of a rebuild based on what's here now. You draft players who you believe have the most talent and go from there. I don't care if they're midgets or enormous...the most talent possible.
"Size" is a "skill," if a player knows how to use it, just like skating or shooting or passing.
Problem I had with Voracek, JVR and Hayes is they had size, but didn't take advantage of it.
Compare to say Tkachuk.

You draft for a combination of attributes, but you also have to keep in mind how your team shapes up down the road, though by going BPA, you can accumulate assets you can trade to improve the balance on your team.

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
"Size" is a "skill," if a player knows how to use it, just like skating or shooting or passing.
Problem I had with Voracek, JVR and Hayes is they had size, but didn't take advantage of it.
Compare to say Tkachuk.

You draft for a combination of attributes, but you also have to keep in mind how your team shapes up down the road, though by going BPA, you can accumulate assets you can trade to improve the balance on your team.
This is my whole point. You should always be drafting the BPA. I don't care what size, what position, you always go with the guy you think has the best upside and will be the best player. You can always make trades later if you have too many guys at a position, or too many "little" guys. Lets just start with getting talent on the team for now.

Reactions: dats81 and BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Loved the analysis....

His half board acumen is awe inspiring........many players are stationary while his movement there is beyond reproach. Selke???? Can't hurt can it???
I'd be glad all over if the Flyers pick him

1963-64

In junior high, all the girls in class, would write on their canvas notebooks: "I love the Beatles or Dave Clark Five". After class or school the girls would argue who was better but we [ the guys] would snicker 'cause we knew that the Rolling Stones or the Beach Boys were the " 'manly man' music". Still girl groups were popular: witness the Shangri-Las and Motown and Soul were starting to come to fore too. Happier times but Vietnam War was over the horizon,

Motown? Had some girl groups, Smokey was a bit androgynous, but Levi Stubbs was as "manly" as they come.

What Motown had was song writing sophistication at the level of the Brill building, combined with a house band that could kick any 60s rock band to the curb. The only rivals were the Stax house band and the LA wrecking crew. Given the era, they had to rely on innuendo, but they stole from the blues and cleaned it up, not in a Pat Boone white wash, but with the polish that was more common in Broadway musicals and Tin Pan alley than Black music. But lust was the undercurrent.

Reactions: chadateit

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Big, skilled and mobile is better than small & slow or big slow puck butchers. You can have smaller D and win, but they have to be really good.

What struck me about the final was that Florida beat Boston by running over their smaller D, then Toronto and Carolina. The Panthers looked like killers. Then against Vegas, guys like Bennett, Duclair and Cousins were trying to hit, but just bouncing off the Knights like Bantams playing against men.
Gretzky said the fastest thing on the ice was the puck. Guys who are good at giving and taking passes don’t have to be skating burners. Benson’s ability to move the puck should counter his so called lack of speed.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Full list. Not sure you can take much from it, but historically the Flyers board has been eerily similar to his. I don't remember what he thought of Farabee, but every 1st pick going back to Morin, he was pretty much the high man on. I think he's buddies with Dennis Patterson.

Awful list.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why isn't there as much love for Gabe Perrault as there seemingly should be? Are there just better options or is there some flaw in his game that I'm not paying enough attention to? I've seen him go as high as 7 in some mocks to the late teens in others. I'd be cool with him at 7 and then taking either a projectable center or a defenseman at 22.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why isn't there as much love for Gabe Perrault as there seemingly should be? Are there just better options or is there some flaw in his game that I'm not paying enough attention to? I've seen him go as high as 7 in some mocks to the late teens in others. I'd be cool with him at 7 and then taking either a projectable center or a defenseman at 22.

Why should there be love for Perreault at 7?

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Gretzky said the fastest thing on the ice was the puck. Guys who are good at giving and taking passes don’t have to be skating burners. Benson’s ability to move the puck should counter his so called lack of speed.
Benson should be OK at the NHL level. There are a few of his type who are smaller and not blindingly fast, e.g. Kucherov. What Gretzky says is true, but you have to play defense too and if you can't catch your man, or stop him if you do, you become a liability - esp on D, unless you're smart like Kimmo.

The Flyers have some good big kids coming at F and on D, rangy and filling out, e.g. Zamula, Attard and I guess we'll see about Grans, to go with York and Andrae. Sanheim has good size and can really skate. He counts as one. One down, 5 to go...

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
In my eyes the likelihood that Flyers come away with Dvorsky from the draft has shot up, given rumors about teams in front of them. And I'm not worried about it. I think he may be one of those players that's more than the sum.. more effective than eye grabbing. His shot is probably underrated. His SHL club was also one of the better in the league, so he likely had a lot of depth above him

Leonard is still possible if Reinbacher/Michkov are off the board

Last edited:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why should there be love for Perreault at 7?
Every scouting report I've seen seems to indicate he is a very high IQ kind of player who can score and make plays. He also racked up a ton of points this year on a team that featured other big name players that are talked about at or before #7. Seems like his size maybe is a factor. Only real knock I have seen is his skating, which doesn't sound or look terrible just isn't elite. Is there something I am missing? I'm not going to pretend like I have seen a ton of his live play so if my perception is wrong that's fine, just from everything I am reading and seeing it seems like he should be in the mix at #7.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think there's a "formula."

Maybe the closest to one is you need balance, some skilled forwards, some mobile puck moving defensemen, some above average bottom six energy guys, some physical D-men who can protect the goalie.

One reason for balance is you play four series, and odds are you'll face different styles of play, so you need to be able to matchup against different teams.
Outskate weak teams, stand toe to toe with physical teams, crowd the blue paint against hot goalies, etc.

Few teams are so talented they can win on talent alone, most teams have to have grit, smarts, and play good fundamental hockey to win with the talent they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad