Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I swear, if Michkov and Benson are there at 7 and they skip over them to take defense that might be it for me as a fan.

Briere and Jones have talked incessantly about the need to add high end skill so it’s time for them to show us they mean it.

Go Michkov, then Benson. If they’re both taken, then look at Leonard or Moore. Don’t get cute with the pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Which is why I said and some change. He's not quite 5'10, that's not a knock on him, or a shot at you, just stating a fact, small players can still be great players, some people really over value size
Well, given the age, you figure there's a 1/4 inch of growth left in him. ;)

5'10 170 is small, but not "smurf" small, it's Danny Briere small.
I don't think his size would matter to Briere, but he knows what it takes to excel at that size and will be looking for those intangibles.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelmitchell2

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Anyone who tells you Leonard is a bad passer is undeniably wrong. This is what I wrote before the u18s: "He’s an excellent puck getter, adept as a transporter, with 1v1 power moves (the forehand shimmy shake drive or pull to his backhand). [...] More often than not in my viewings, when he had to make a skilled pass with a defender in a lane, it didn’t work. But his passing has actually grown on me in a play connector way: quick touches on exits, slinging it in the cycle. He’s not panicky."

I also think (this is meant towards David St-Louis) that 1 minute of 8 passes doesn't make a case either, and many of those were drop passes or hitting the open trailer or give-n-go's, and they were almost all off the rush. Half of those I saw in-game. You can clip a handful of plays of any prospect doing anything, but I think the game footage tells a different tale, especially with volume shooting as a crutch. I don't find his chance assist frequency or his success rate standout, or his touch. I really believe it was not just because of role -- I caught a dozen games or so. He's a functional passer (they can make nice passes too!), even in volume, more than a playmaker, who can play off more skilled players. He can help connect the game for top end guys. I think that's an important distinction. He's not generally making royal road passes, or dragging guys in on the walls, or manipulating advanced angles, but he's the guy who can be involved in those sequences. Again, he's not panicky; we're just talking degree of difficulty on his touches.

Leonard does a lot well. Hence me having him in the 8-11 range. But he touches a lot of areas that GMs salivate over, and I think things are getting daydreamy because of that, with the top 5 talk. He's not some secret plus passer or oozing top line creativity (I pretty much described his bag of tricks above), and it's not because he played with Smith/Perreault. I've seen him with Moore too for shifts or the odd game. Truly, he's maybe the easiest player to scout in the draft after the top 2. Maybe that's why I'm confused. He'll drive possession while being an o-zone support piece up and down the lineup. But I simply cannot believe in his offensive ceiling being comparable to Benson, Moore, etc. I think a good mental test is: could you put an average middle 6 player with Gauthier+Leonard, and that's a Cup caliber top line or a 2nd line? I'm very skeptical.

Last edited:

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Maybe a good question is, how good is his 75% percentile ceiling? Is his ceiling quality vs percentile curve reaching good ceilings really early? Perhaps Benson is a swing for the fences type pick in that regard, which implies more risk. But I'm not convinced their ceilings are much different in quality

I also wanted to say I think I'm having a change of attitude toward Dvorsky. A lot of the viewings I had were probably not favorable viewings, maybe older tape. He has a lot of tools and I think I was wrong about most of my criticisms towards him. It's uncommon for DY players to score 3 points in 5 WJC-20 games

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
There was rumors from Russ Cohen (“sportsology” in Twitter) Flyers are really interested in Leonard, Moore and Reinbacher (especially). But also it seems like Leonard and Rein will go before #7 (Montreal and Arizona). So it will be Moore. Not a biggest fan of him, but I will be OK with this pick. Disagree with opinion about his hockey IQ issues.
He just didn’t have wings which Smith has.
At times when Moore played with Eiserman he showed great vision.

Reactions: Unger9

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Some hot takes in these rankings

1686586417504.png

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild #cutterwasright #AlexeiAWOL
May 26, 2012
I remember when the Flyers passed on Jagr for Mike Ricci because of culture- Jagr didn’t speak English… the good ol days. Would we really pass on Michkov and gift wrap him to the Caps?

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
I remember when the Flyers passed on Jagr for Mike Ricci because of culture- Jagr didn’t speak English… the good ol days. Would we really pass on Michkov and gift wrap him to the Caps?
Philly never passed on Jagr.
Jaromir told the four teams before the Penguins’ pick he wasn’t coming over right away and to not pick him.
He really only wanted to play with Mario.

Reactions: Breeze 44

Tarpongg

May 26, 2012
Philly never passed on Jagr.
Jaromir told the four teams before the Penguins’ pick he wasn’t coming over right away and to not pick him.
He really only wanted to play with Mario.
“The Flyers had identified Mike Ricci as the next Bobby Clarke and that was a pretty hard thing to jump over because of the aura there and a guy we thought would be a long-term leader so we settled on that and decided that was our guy,” Farwell said.

The Flyers passed on Jagr and Jagr told teams he wasn’t coming over immediately. Both are true.

The articles leading up to that draft talked about Flyer front office concerns around Jagr’s cultural fit given the language barrier, and how Ricci was essentially born to be a Flyer. They were taking Ricci regardless.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
“The Flyers had identified Mike Ricci as the next Bobby Clarke and that was a pretty hard thing to jump over because of the aura there and a guy we thought would be a long-term leader so we settled on that and decided that was our guy,” Farwell said.

The Flyers passed on Jagr and Jagr told teams he wasn’t coming over immediately. Both are true.

The articles leading up to that draft talked about Flyer front office concerns around Jagr’s cultural fit given the language barrier, and how Ricci was essentially born to be a Flyer. They were taking Ricci regardless.

The aura... Born to be a Flyer... Dear God...

They're skipping Michkov if he's still there, aren't they?

• Haha
Reactions: Larry44

Tarpongg

May 26, 2012
That's not what happened. I beg you, let's not have the Ricci/Jagr debate for the billionth time.

Lol. I will drop it right here out of respect for capt Poulin. But here’s an article with the facts from those in the front office involved

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Lol. I will drop it right here out of respect for capt Poulin. But here’s an article with the facts from those in the front office involved

Those aren't facts - that is hindsight.

Anyway, I am not doing this again, nor do I wish to fight with you.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
I don't see much reason to expect them to pass on Michkov if he's there. Briere saying he thinks Michkov will be gone by 7 implies that he thinks highly of him, now that it's coming out that MTL and ARI have eyes on other guys

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

In fairness though, Ricci was a pretty highly regarded prospect at the time. It isn't as though they reached for him and Jagr was a much higher regarded prospect (he did go #5, it isn't like the Flyers took Ricci at #1 and passed on Jagr, three other teams also picked worse players). I'm not great with my Eastern European geopolitical timelines, but I think at this time would Jagr have had to "defect" if he wanted to play in the NHL or was he allowed to come over voluntarily?

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
I know I went heavy on lw, but if we got this lucky in the draft Id be so moist

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_145445_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_145445_Chrome.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230613_145452_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_145452_Chrome.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.