Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
What's wrong with Gauthier?

Also do you guys think nationality plays a factor in who we pick?

I posted a vid of Gauthier on the previous page, its worth a look if u havent. He scores 3 goals in the game. Not even sure how to describe his play ( maybe 20 foot game ?)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Really don't find this year's draft class all that impressive. The top 10 has some nice size and speed, hopefully the Flames can grab someone to fill a Top 6 winger position. Not really all that optimistic though. They picked a good year to finish in the bottom 3rd I guess.

Dubois was just suspended indefinitely, wonder how much that'll affect his position.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/top-prospect-dubois-suspended-indefinitely-by-qmjhl/

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Thanks everyone. :)

New users, please take note of the bolded.

On topic,

Winnipeg and Edmonton play tomorrow so those are games to watch. The former would be tied with us in points.

The later would be one point behind us.

This assuming we lose on Thursday.

Plus, the Jets would move ahead of us because they hold the tie breaker!!

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
I posted a vid of Gauthier on the previous page, its worth a look if u havent. He scores 3 goals in the game. Not even sure how to describe his play ( maybe 20 foot game ?)

Ah I see, thanks :)

If he is completely lost on the ice then yeah I agree with SmellOfVictory on that he shouldn't be someone we pick top 10

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Really don't find this year's draft class all that impressive. The top 10 has some nice size and speed, hopefully the Flames can grab someone to fill a Top 6 winger position. Not really all that optimistic though. They picked a good year to finish in the bottom 3rd I guess.

Dubois was just suspended indefinitely, wonder how much that'll affect his position.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/top-prospect-dubois-suspended-indefinitely-by-qmjhl/

I think the top 7 look good. As good as any other year draft. Reminds me of 2014 but with more size. Not an overly impressive draft, but there's good players.

As for Dubois; I think it's pretty firm he'll be in the top 7, might move a bit down... But should be okay. I think if someone wanted him at 4; they'd still take him.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
If after this horrible season the Flames ended up drafting Gauthier I would be infuriated.

I don't see us drafting lower than 7 though and from what I heard from the Flames there is a big 8 then it falls off a cliff and I assume Gauthier isn't in that top 8 anyway so.

One of Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Chychrun, Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Joulevi/Serg, McLead will be ours come draft day barring Trevling doing something crazy and trading our 1st away (which if he did would be for a legit top player).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If after this horrible season the Flames ended up drafting Gauthier I would be infuriated.

I don't see us drafting lower than 7 though and from what I heard from the Flames there is a big 8 then it falls off a cliff and I assume Gauthier isn't in that top 8 anyway so.

One of Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Chychrun, Dubois, Tkachuk, Nylander, Joulevi/Serg, McLead will be ours come draft day barring Trevling doing something crazy and trading our 1st away (which if he did would be for a legit top player).

It's weird, because I think of Flames of old... but having a GM like Treliving is awesome. If he makes a trade; it always seems calculated and right away you see the benefit without having the fan related denial.

"Yeah... we moved our first, but we got a guy who scored 17 goals last season and chipped in 40 points... he's only 26 too, but also doesn't have a lot of wear on him. I think it'll work out. We'll give him top line duties, he'll put up points, I'm sure!"

My hope is for a top 3 pick. I'd be beyond awesome to add one of those studs to our cupboard. Flames would be all kinds of dangerous up front with one more big piece. I think that they'll add one offensive piece and Bennett will likely take some steps forward; but there's just that secondary scoring punch missing from about 80% of this season :laugh:.

If we don't get the top 3; I'm all in for Dubois, Nylander or Tkachuk. We will likely get one, so I'm not super worried... Just hoping for Matthews, as that'd take Calgary into super-nova.

moon*

I said it earlier but I really, really don't get this thinking. There are a lot worse choices in the top 10 than Gauthier.

I would say anything outside the top 5 (Matthews, Finns, Tkachuk and Chychrun) would be disappointing but Gauthier would be a lot better than Nylander, Sergachev, McLeod and Juolevi.

I think getting Nylander, Sergachev or Juolevi would feel like the season was a it of a waste as I am not sure any of them are better than the 10-20 guys so that would be a lot of losing to get a piece that likely is going to do much for your team, if anything.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
I said it earlier but I really, really don't get this thinking. There are a lot worse choices in the top 10 than Gauthier.

I would say anything outside the top 5 (Matthews, Finns, Tkachuk and Chychrun) would be disappointing but Gauthier would be a lot better than Nylander, Sergachev, McLeod and Juolevi.

I think getting Nylander, Sergachev or Juolevi would feel like the season was a it of a waste as I am not sure any of them are better than the 10-20 guys so that would be a lot of losing to get a piece that likely is going to do much for your team, if anything.

Where is Dubois in any of this?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Here's a weird one, purely speculation and just for fun. Say the Hockey Gods frown on Toronto for their tanking.

Lotto goes:
1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Buffalo Sabres
3) Columbus Blue Jackets

Toronto ends up with pick 4, Calgary with pick 7. Toronto decides, well, know what, we want both Nylander brothers; and they'd be willing to move down to 7. What would it cost Calgary to move up 3 spots? How many of those sweet, sweet, second round picks? Or would you even be interested?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Here's a weird one, purely speculation and just for fun. Say the Hockey Gods frown on Toronto for their tanking.

Lotto goes:
1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Buffalo Sabres
3) Columbus Blue Jackets

Toronto ends up with pick 4, Calgary with pick 7. Toronto decides, well, know what, we want both Nylander brothers; and they'd be willing to move down to 7. What would it cost Calgary to move up 3 spots? How many of those sweet, sweet, second round picks? Or would you even be interested?

Presumably Dubois is sitting on the board at that point.

Depending on the cost I seriously consider it.

I think there is the top 3, then Dubois, then a bit of a drop at 5.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Lotto goes:
1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Buffalo Sabres
3) Columbus Blue Jackets

I was just thinking of something similar. But I was more thinking Marner for Nylander + Hickey :naughty:

As to the scenario you proposed, I could see them wanting any one of Nylander/Juolevi/Dubois/Chychrun
I'd offer our second, Spoon and #7.

I'm okay with Nylander though. He would be a great RW for the top line because he's a threat off the rush. It's really only Juolevi I don't want.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Honestly, I would be happy as long as we draft in the top 6. I would love to get any of the following guys (in order):

Matthews
Laine/Puljujarvi
Puljujarvi/Laine
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

I didn't list any D-men as I'm not too interested in drafting a D, especially with our first pick as I am always hesitant when it comes to drafting D early in the draft.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I'd be happy with pretty much anyone in the top 10. Obviously the top 4 (Matthews, Finns, Dubios in my mind) would be ideal but the other 6 or so would definitely fill a need.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Honestly, I would be happy as long as we draft in the top 6. I would love to get any of the following guys (in order):

Matthews
Laine/Puljujarvi
Puljujarvi/Laine
Dubois
Nylander
Tkachuk

I didn't list any D-men as I'm not too interested in drafting a D, especially with our first pick as I am always hesitant when it comes to drafting D early in the draft.

Im the same, just w Tkachuk above Nylander.

moon*

Lotto goes:
1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Buffalo Sabres
3) Columbus Blue Jackets

I doubt they would be willing to move to 7th if it was Nylander that they wanted since there is a good chance he is gone by then. But assuming the deal is something along the lines of them taking Dubois and then trading him to us if Nylander still available I think it would cost way too much.

2nd round picks don't get it done. I think Bennett is likely too much to give but that it the type of return they are likely looking at to drop down 4 spots at the top of the draft.

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
As long as we come away with a skilled forward, preferably with size I will be happy. With what we have on the team and in the system I think we shouldn't even entertain taking a defenseman with our high 1st. Anywhere else in the draft would be ok but the glaring hole we have is high end skill and size up front to play top 2 lines. Let's hope the hockey gods are shining down on us!

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

He was only suspended two games actually. He was suspended indefinitely while the decision was made, and then it was determined to be a two game suspension. So I suspect it affects him not at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad