Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moon*

We obviously can still get a decent player or fluke out and win the lottery but the frustrating thing was that with a top 3 pick you could see a very quick fix to our problems next year.

Slide the 1st pick and a UFA/trade into the top 6 and boom we look pretty good.

With the later pick that we pretty much look like we are getting there is about a zero percentage chance we can slot them in the top 6 this year and really next so that is a big, big hole left in the Flames line-up.

Oh well at least we will have a winning culture to help us with secondary scoring.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We obviously can still get a decent player or fluke out and win the lottery but the frustrating thing was that with a top 3 pick you could see a very quick fix to our problems next year.

Slide the 1st pick and a UFA/trade into the top 6 and boom we look pretty good.

With the later pick that we pretty much look like we are getting there is about a zero percentage chance we can slot them in the top 6 this year and really next so that is a big, big hole left in the Flames line-up.

Oh well at least we will have a winning culture to help us with secondary scoring.

We have guys in the system who should be making a push for those spots starting next season. And we have more than one such option, so it's not like we're hoping on a prayer. The good news is if the solution to those holes is indeed a young prospect, he'll have a very solid support around him. He won't enter the league feeling like the team is relying on him.

moon*

We have guys in the system who should be making a push for those spots starting next season. And we have more than one such option, so it's not like we're hoping on a prayer. The good news is if the solution to those holes is indeed a young prospect, he'll have a very solid support around him. He won't enter the league feeling like the team is relying on him.

Sure we have guys that could step up but I think it is nice to have a much surer thing in a top 3 pick. But they (especially the Finns) may not have been ready for it themselves.

I think even with a top pick coming in they would be in a good situation as either on the 2nd line with knows who or as the 3rd guy on the top line so no need to be driving the line or creating the offense just letting Gaudreau and Monahan do the hard work while they learn the NHL game.

That is why Gauthier intrigues me. I am not sold he is the top talent if we were at say 8 but with his size and scoring I think he may be a great fit on that top line. Probably a bad reason to draft a guy (and I do like him on his own) but he is the one guy outside of the top 3 that I could see stepping into a top 6 role up front next season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sure we have guys that could step up but I think it is nice to have a much surer thing in a top 3 pick. But they (especially the Finns) may not have been ready for it themselves.

I think even with a top pick coming in they would be in a good situation as either on the 2nd line with knows who or as the 3rd guy on the top line so no need to be driving the line or creating the offense just letting Gaudreau and Monahan do the hard work while they learn the NHL game.

That is why Gauthier intrigues me. I am not sold he is the top talent if we were at say 8 but with his size and scoring I think he may be a great fit on that top line. Probably a bad reason to draft a guy (and I do like him on his own) but he is the one guy outside of the top 3 that I could see stepping into a top 6 role up front next season.

Of course it would be nice to have the team we have now with a top 3 pick. Hopefully it works out that way. But as a fan of the team, I would prefer that the current nucleus not be that bad at hockey.

moon*

Winning culture means winning against weak teams when it doesnt count?

It was a joke. I have been a very vocal opponent of the "winning/losing culture" nonsense.

And as you point out it means even less beating teams that have given up like Winnipeg and Montreal.

moon*

Of course it would be nice to have the team we have now with a top 3 pick. Hopefully it works out that way. But as a fan of the team, I would prefer that the current nucleus not be that bad at hockey.

I guess I haven't seen much in the last 10 games that has changed my opinion of the team from when they were 2nd last and doubt that if they lost all these games much would change either.

I felt pretty confident we had a solid core win or lose to end season, so I was not so concerned about our results or really our play to end the year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I guess I haven't seen much in the last 10 games that has changed my opinion of the team from when they were 2nd last and doubt that if they lost all these games much would change either.

I felt pretty confident we had a solid core win or lose to end season, so I was not so concerned about our results or really our play to end the year.

But you're acting as though the quality of the players is unrelated to the results in games down the late stretch.

moon*

But you're acting as though the quality of the players is unrelated to the results in games down the late stretch.

Not totally sure what you mean here but will try to respond.

I don't think the Flames are playing any better of late than they did earlier in the year (at least the guys that I care about going forward).

They have run into some teams that have given up and/or have given dreadful performances which has been the key reason they have got more wins than I would have liked.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
A top 3 pick would be great of course but that might cause cap issues in the future. I agree with moon (for the first time ever :laugh:) that a guy like Gauthier or maybe even Nylander could round out the top line with mony and Johnny. You don't need all your top 6 players to produce 65 points a year. If your team is like that you're gonna run into cap trouble like the oilers with all their firepower up front.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Winning when nothing is on the line is not really a good indicator of anything....

It may as well be an exhibition game.

BTW, I think the team has a good core...it's just a very small core...a top pick would certainly help.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not totally sure what you mean here but will try to respond.

I don't think the Flames are playing any better of late than they did earlier in the year (at least the guys that I care about going forward).

They have run into some teams that have given up and/or have given dreadful performances which has been the key reason they have got more wins than I would have liked.

True. I think these wins have been as much about the opposition performance than the Flames. But every team where we are in the standings is going to get those games. The ones that aren't even able to win games like that are in much more dire need of help than us.

The Flames last year were a team that hammered bad teams and were competitive against good teams. The Flames this year are a team that usually beats bad teams and usually loses to good teams. The teams that deserve top picks usually lose to bad teams and get hammered by good teams.

There have been claims that the Flames never started winning until it was too late, but that's not true. The Flames basically went on winning stretches this season whenever they got a light schedule for a stretch of games. They started off really badly, playing the worst hockey they have since Hartley took over, but since then they've played .500 hockey, just about. They haven't been good, but they haven't truly been terrible either; not as bad as the start of the season.

Basically, like any fan, I'd love a top 3 pick. But I do not think our franchise is in such dire straits that they need one. If we get one, great. If not, I think our team has a lot of room for improvement over this year.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing us take Olli Juolevi. We do desperately need top 6 secondary scoring however.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Yeah outside the 6-7 is the area where I'd rather trade down. These loser keep winning at this point it won't even be top 10 lol!

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
A top pick would be great but honestly as far as talent goes I don't think this team needs it more than others (Canucks, Leafs, Jets, Jackets). Flames have 2 young stars who have been incredible their first 2 years in the league. Johnny has become a superstar in my opinion and Mony even in a down year is putting up amazing numbers for someone his age. Flames still have Bennett who has had moments of brilliants this year and will only get better. I for one would be happy with a top 10 pick because I really do think the team underachieved this year and overachieved last year. Flames can get a a very very good prospect at the 6-10 range with Nylander or Gauthier looking very ideal. Knowing the Flames they will probably have a great last month like they did 2 years ago with Johnny and Mony will want to play their ass off for a big contract which isn't a bad thing. Flames fans shouldn't be pissed if the team doesn't get a top 3 pick because this team has far more proven young players then most teams. Hamilton has looked amazing the past few months as well so the future looks very bright, no need to fret if the flames dont luck out for Matthew's or the two fins.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we stay in the top 10 I'll still be happy, consider:

Get a lotto pick - Matthews, laine, puljujarvi OR

Get a offensive forward - tkachuk, nylander OR

Get hamilton's new partner - juolevi, chychrun OR

Get everyone's favourite riser - Dubois OR

Get a speed demon - McLeod OR

Get a man child - Gauthier

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Gauthier is basically a big yakupov. Completely lost on the ice.

Someone said the other day that he slides further and further down their list with every viewing due to low hockey I.Q. Also the scouting report on McLeod makes me think Lombardi which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think we could do better.

moon*

Gauthier looked really good in the August summer camps and at the WJHC so surprised to see people slagging his hockey IQ. He seemed to really know exactly where to go to get into scoring position and it wasn't surprising to me that he was lighting up the QMJHL in goal scoring this year.

Now I only have those games to go off of some maybe in Quebec he shows something completely different but for me he reminded me a Brett Hull (not saying he will be that good) type guy who doesn't look pretty out there but gets to where he needs to to get results.

I did have concern about him creating his own offense and maybe being able to score because his strength is much better than the kids he is playing against but his hockey sense, at least for scoring goals, seemed to be a strength in his Team Canada play.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Someone said the other day that he slides further and further down their list with every viewing due to low hockey I.Q. Also the scouting report on McLeod makes me think Lombardi which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think we could do better.

He reminds me of Virtanen in that he has an exciting toolset, and no tool box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad