Official 2015 tank thread IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just. Stop. It.

Do not even talk about the Oilers game before it ends. Ever time you do, they blow it.

Wait till the game is final, like how Columbus scored with 1 minutes left to beat the Avs.

Stating an objective fact like the score is not a jinx. The problem arises when you start attaching predictions or implying that the outcome has been determined.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Watching Oilers Isles, and, the Oil is way, way way better than the Sabres. AINEC. Still pretty terrible, but reasonably bad, as opposed to whatever it is that the Sabres are.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Watching Oilers Isles, and, the Oil is way, way way better than the Sabres. AINEC. Still pretty terrible, but reasonably bad, as opposed to whatever it is that the Sabres are.

First time you've turned on the Oilers this season, huh? I've watched them a lot. They usually look much worse.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Well, they are miles better offensively. The movement is fluid, purposeful, it's just fun to watch.

Defensively though they're terrible. Every game you get a bunch of random hiccups that lead to conceded goals.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

Silly thing to say based off one game.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I think the biggest difference between the two is the play in the offensive zone. When they get it going in the offensive zone, it's visually pleasing. It's not chip and chase, and #compete, it's skill.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I've watched a lot of Oilers games and I don't hesitate to say that, on the whole, I think Edmonton is a better hockey team than Buffalo. I think the standings after 82 games will show that, as well.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

It's really not. There is a discernible, purposeful system in their game that is totally lacking in the Sabres play. Teddy is the tank commander. And he doesn't even know it. GMTM is a genius.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I think the biggest difference between the two is the play in the offensive zone. When they get it going in the offensive zone, it's visually pleasing. It's not chip and chase, and #compete, it's skill.
Good point.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Yeah, that is definitely what I'm seeing.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

They generally get that out of the RNH line and that's it. We generally get it out of the Ennis line, to a lesser degree, and that's it. I don't think there is much of a difference. They aren't very skilled outside of that top line.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
They generally get that out of the RNH line and that's it. We generally get it out of the Ennis line, to a lesser degree, and that's it. I don't think there is much of a difference.
The fact that you named the line after a winger speaks volumes about the role of Ennis in making it look like an actual 1st line. I'd say we generally get it out of Tyler Ennis, period. :laugh:

And, no, purposeful hockey is definitely not exclusive to the Oilers RNH line.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The fact that you named the line after a winger speaks volumes about the role of Ennis in making it look like an actual 1st line. I'd say we generally get it out of Tyler Ennis, period. :laugh:

And, no, purposeful hockey is definitely not exclusive to the Oilers RNH line.

It's a system thing though, no? I mean, Rob Freaking Klinkhammer isn't a better hockey player than Drew Stafford, right?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
It's a system thing though, no? I mean, Rob Freaking Klinkhammer isn't a better hockey player than Drew Stafford, right?
I really don't know. It probably is a factor, but I think it mostly boils down to the simple fact that they have more skilled forwards.

A 4th line exerting pressure offensively is more of an exception than a rule.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I really don't know. It probably is a factor, but I think it mostly boils down to the simple fact that they have more skilled forwards.

A 4th line exerting pressure offensively is more of an exception than a rule.

Yeah, but what I see watching Edmonton is that when a forward has the puck on the boards, especially around the dot, there is exactly one defender (F or D) chasing him, because everyone else is in a dangerous position, so they're covered. When it's the Sabres, two guys immediately crash the boards, because literally no other Sabres are in scoring position. There'll be a guy behind the net, and a defensemen pinning the board at the blue line. Those two guys are effectively out of the play. No one is near the front of the net, and then the other forward comes zooming in to make it 2 on 2, taking his man with him, so really, it's 3 on 2. It's just bad hockey. And though I recognize that the Sabres are somewhat lacking in the skill department, they are also playing really stupidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad