OT: Official 2014 Patriots/NFL Thread - III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Good read, Mike.

I'd love to see the arrogant and entitled NFL come crashing down.

It's just too much in your face everywhere you look.
As Felger often says, they're about getting every last crumb of $.

I don't know why that's such a bad thing. I love Thursday night football. I like the constant coverage of the game. And I still love what happens on the field.

But I guess I'm in the minority when I say I watch football for the football and care a heck of a lot more about what happens on the field than the drama off of it.

Until this Ray Rice thing, I think Goodell's done a great job. Why do people care that the cba favors the owners or that the NFL owners are earning their money?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I don't know why that's such a bad thing. I love Thursday night football. I like the constant coverage of the game. And I still love what happens on the field.

But I guess I'm in the minority when I say I watch football for the football and care a heck of a lot more about what happens on the field than the drama off of it.

Until this Ray Rice thing, I think Goodell's done a great job. Why do people care that the cba favors the owners or that the NFL owners are earning their money?

Because things like a bad CBA and Thursday football hurt the players. The vast majority of NFL players aren't making astounding money over a 15-year career. They're playing a year or two if they're lucky, and many end up with debilitating injuries. I love football, but everything I've ever heard from players past and present makes me appalled at Thursday football and the relentless expansion of the season, all for the sake of the almighty dollar. The commissioner shouldn't only be looking to put money in owners' pockets, he should at least be a human being when it comes to the players and their families.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Because things like a bad CBA and Thursday football hurt the players. The vast majority of NFL players aren't making astounding money over a 15-year career. They're playing a year or two if they're lucky, and many end up with debilitating injuries. I love football, but everything I've ever heard from players past and present makes me appalled at Thursday football and the relentless expansion of the season, all for the sake of the almighty dollar. The commissioner shouldn't only be looking to put money in owners' pockets, he should at least be a human being when it comes to the players and their families.

Pretty sure the NFLPA is happy with that extra $250 million contract as well. They did agree to it.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Players union should have 50% say in who the commish is, imo.

member 96824

Players union should have 50% say in who the commish is, imo.

Dangerous path IMO

Because then that would have to allow owners to have 50% say in who the players union rep is I would imagine.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
I'm just gonna leave this....right.....here.

RIHANNA THEME SONG KICKS OFF RAVENS' THURSDAY NIGHT GAME

I mean....I'm.....

......my 21-pound cat would be a more effective PR manager/branding/marketing strategist than whomever is working in that capacity for the NFL.

They're supposed to pull the plug on Rihanna because she was also a victim? What? I don't follow. I mean, having Chris Brown perform would be one thing, but why can't Rihanna?

Whatever. Looking forward to some football tonight.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Dangerous path IMO

Because then that would have to allow owners to have 50% say in who the players union rep is I would imagine.

Good point. How bout dis..

owners get 49% say in who the union rep is (union gets 51)
NFLPA gets 49% say in who the commish is (owners get 51)

:yo::yo::yo: BOOM :yo::yo::yo:

member 96824

I'm just gonna leave this....right.....here.

RIHANNA THEME SONG KICKS OFF RAVENS' THURSDAY NIGHT GAME

I mean....I'm.....

......my 21-pound cat would be a more effective PR manager/branding/marketing strategist than whomever is working in that capacity for the NFL.

Could have been Chris Brown I guess........

giphy.gif

member 96824

<3

Always on the money qC.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

What does a 49% say even mean? That just means the owners decide who the commissioner is and the players decide who the union rep is and then they all vote for who they decide. Aka the way it is now.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
What does a 49% say even mean? That just means the owners decide who the commissioner is and the players decide who the union rep is and then they all vote for who they decide. Aka the way it is now.

Suppose the union unanimously wants candidate A for comish. And also suppose the owners are split evenly between candidate A and candidate B.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
unless we're changing job descriptions, it makes no sense for each side to have any vote for the other side's rep.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Suppose the union unanimously wants candidate A for comish. And also suppose the owners are split evenly between candidate A and candidate B.

Then the owners would make their decision between A and B before the players get to vote. That's what happens in those cases.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
unless we're changing job descriptions, it makes no sense for each side to have any vote for the other side's rep.

This.

You didn't see the MLBPA voting on the new MLB commish a few weeks ago because they have their own guy. Same goes for the NHLPA, etc.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
They're supposed to pull the plug on Rihanna because she was also a victim? What? I don't follow. I mean, having Chris Brown perform would be one thing, but why can't Rihanna?

Whatever. Looking forward to some football tonight.

I was commenting on the ridiculously sublime timing aspect from a PR viewpoint. The theme song's been in place for a while (unsure if the agreement to use the song predates the time when the incident actually surfaced) so they're kind of in a rock and a hard place PR wise. If they agreed to use the song ahead of the incident then it's just a ironic coincidence. If the agreement came after that, it's fantastically short-sighted. No, they can't pull the plug because then it looks like avoidance, but there's still going to be the association with the use of the theme song. The NFL can't get out of the way of itself.

But, um, whatever, I guess?

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Alright fine my eyedeer sucks. Fine. Here's my backup idea..

Force Goodell to resign with his tens of millions of earned dollars.

:yo::yo: NAILED IT :yo::yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad