Speculation: Offersheeting Puljujärvi 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He played a lot with 97. He got 25 pts. He played more than enough with him to get more than 25 pts.

He got those points in half a season and also 15 goals as well which is close to a 30 goal pace with McDavid. He played with the corpse of Turris for the first 10 games.
And again, most of this was at even strength. That's really good even strength production. Most top 6 players get a PP boost in production, to state again.

Also, you said he's as gangly and uncoordinated as ever. Not true either. He still has his "gangly" moments but far less than in the past.

Obviously he'll have to prove he can do this for more than a half a season to be taken seriously as a legit top 6 player but he was vastly improved last season, completely different player.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
As the Jets are hurting on their RW, I’d be ok with Puljujarvi coming to Winnipeg, but not through an OS… rather a trade.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
In what? Astrology? Cause it sure as hell isn't hockey.
McDavid is clearly the best skater in the league and has the best hands, he is big and athletic, if he was also the smartest player in the league he would’ve separated himself from other players in the league by a even bigger margin, it would be like Gretzky on rocket skates.

Aho wasn’t a good skater in Liiga, even less so in the NHL, he doesn’t have a great shot and he isn’t strong or big and doesn’t possess puck skills like Kane or Datsuyk, and yet he is one of the top centers in the league without having any standout physical attributes, only reason he is so effective is his brain, his nickname has been ”Proffesor Aho” for a while.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
After the Aho deal the KK thing was a rarity. Move likely never gets considered if not for Aho. I doubt those moves make offer sheets commonplace. If anything, I think it sends a message that if you do it then it may make your team a target.
Considering the situation in Vancouver and the twitter post, it makes it very hard to believe Waddell/Dundon that this was a hockey move.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
LOL at fans on this board . Before last season he was a bust . Oilers fans were ripped for saying he has potential and best to let him play in Finland rather then take scraps for him . Now fans want to offer sheet him . Maybe fans should stop calling young players a bust . They all develop at different rates . I think in 2 year Puljujarvi will be an untouchable on the Oilers . He is also taking box lesson this offer season so some players are in for a rude awakening if they think the will still push the kid around .

Prediction . Holland signs Puljujarvi midseason long term and we get a thread every few months offering a package of lessor asset for him .

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
He got those points in half a season and also 15 goals as well which is close to a 30 goal pace with McDavid. He played with the corpse of Turris for the first 10 games.
And again, most of this was at even strength. That's really good even strength production. Most top 6 players get a PP boost in production, to state again.

Also, you said he's as gangly and uncoordinated as ever. Not true either. He still has his "gangly" moments but far less than in the past.

Obviously he'll have to prove he can do this for more than a half a season to be taken seriously as a legit top 6 player but he was vastly improved last season, completely different player.
You need to part of a part season to do the mental gymnastic to reach your predetermined conclusion.

All I'm reading is JP needs McDavid to score points even then he still can only score at a barely top 6 level.

I just hope Holland doesn't throw another Abdelkader contract at JP. He already has Hyman. I hope at some point Holland learns that you pay your stars to drive the Abdelkader, JP, Hyman's etc of the world. You don't pay the complimentary player again for the production earned and al ready paid to the star.

Last edited:

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
McDavid is clearly the best skater in the league and has the best hands, he is big and athletic, if he was also the smartest player in the league he would’ve separated himself from other players in the league by a even bigger margin, it would be like Gretzky on rocket skates.

Aho wasn’t a good skater in Liiga, even less so in the NHL, he doesn’t have a great shot and he isn’t strong or big and doesn’t possess puck skills like Kane or Datsuyk, and yet he is one of the top centers in the league without having any standout physical attributes, only reason he is so effective is his brain, his nickname has been ”Proffesor Aho” for a while.
are you ok? 106 in 56 is not separating himself enough to the rest of the elite bums? unanimous MVP? the stack of lindsey's?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

I mean idk how much more seperation you wanted he absolutely mopped the floor with every other player this past year. Every player that plays with McDavid has said you need to just keep your stick on the ice because you never know when a pass is coming.

And don't get me wrong because Aho is awesome. But what can you say about him that makes him the smartest player in the game? How do you actually measure that? Having a nickname like that isn't that telling considering they used to call Ben Scrivens "the professor".

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I like Puljujarvi but I don't think he's really someone worth throwing a massive offersheet at. I'd trade the equivalent of a 1st and 3rd for him, but I wouldn't want to pay him the cap hit that would come with that compensation. He is in the same boat as Kotkaniemi with that.

The thing what Carolina/Dundon did to Kotkaniemie was not a massive offersheet for a star, but an overpayment for a year for a Top9 player and it worked. It was the only offersheet, gone official in history, constructed that way. I just am of the opinion, that a offersheet of say 5M/yr for 1yr, could be too rich for Edmonton to match. The team constructing such an offer could very well sign him for say 4M/5yrs after this.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

This is one of the ALL TIME worst takes I have ever seen on ANY WEBSITE ON ANY SUBJECT EVER.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The only way the Oilers don't match an offer sheet for Pulujarvi, is if he explodes and earns a massive contract, or someone overpays like they did Kotkenemi. If his production explodes, I expect he will be traded before he is sent an offer sheet.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The thing what Carolina/Dundon did to Kotkaniemie was not a massive offersheet for a star, but an overpayment for a year for a Top9 player and it worked. It was the only offersheet, gone official in history, constructed that way. I just am of the opinion, that a offersheet of say 5M/yr for 1yr, could be too rich for Edmonton to match. The team constructing such an offer could very well sign him for say 4M/5yrs after this.

I mean that's fine, but I still absolutely would not have wanted my team to do what the Canes did with Kotkaniemi either.

I would have traded a 1st and 3rd for either of them, but I wouldn't give them a big 1 year offersheet that the player hasn't earned. It's fine for Carolina because they can make the cap work, but not a ton of teams can comfortably do that while also not losing a high 1st.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Another lack luster player with inflated stats because of playing with either mcjesus, drai or both. Why would you offer sheet this guy?

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Looking at the Oilers lineup and income cap 2022, it looks like it could be a good idea to do a Dundon on Puljujärvi. Puljujärvi has become a really good power-forward like hustler and netprescence, who can make space for others. Teams like Toronto and Carolina could really use a guy like that. Lets say Pulju keep beeing a 40+p hustler. Can and will Oilers match something like this:

1yr 4,5-5.5M

Atleast Carolina will have the space to do an offer like this again with Niederraiter, Stepan, Cole and Trocheck coming off the books and he would very likely be a fit with Svechnikov-Aho

Looks like for some we've gone full circle, from Puljujarvi will never play in the NHL again to an offer sheet proposal.

I am not point the fingers at you, OP. You've been after Puljujarvi a long time. Carolina ain't gonna get him though :)

Reactions: jonlin

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

So giving someone the nickname "Professor" makes them smarter than McDavid in hockey?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
LOL at fans on this board . Before last season he was a bust . Oilers fans were ripped for saying he has potential and best to let him play in Finland rather then take scraps for him . Now fans want to offer sheet him . Maybe fans should stop calling young players a bust . They all develop at different rates . I think in 2 year Puljujarvi will be an untouchable on the Oilers . He is also taking box lesson this offer season so some players are in for a rude awakening if they think the will still push the kid around .

Prediction . Holland signs Puljujarvi midseason long term and we get a thread every few months offering a package of lessor asset for him .
Not "fans". A fan.
And it's not like he's worth an offersheet now, it's gonna take more than a pace for 50 points for that to happen

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He had 15 goals in his last 45 games last season and was on a 50 point pace, most at even strength, while being a terror on the forecheck and solid defensively so he's capable of it, just has to prove it over a longer stretch.

Playing with McDavid or not, he showed a ton of growth in his game last season. He'll have to show consistency going forward but anybody who watched him last season can see clear as day that he was a completely different player compared to his first stint with the Oilers.

I love some of the haters comments. It is clear some people on read stat sheets. Oiler fans are excited about what JP brought last year because he was very good in all zones. Does he need to finish more? To be a legitimate 1st line winger, yes. We don't need Pulujarvi to be a 40 goal man though, we need him to be like Dupuis was with Crosby, but for McDavid. If he produces too much, he will price himself out of Edmonton anyway sadly.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

In fairness, he looked like a bust and ran back to Finland. A lot of people were interested in potentially trading for him to take a chance, but at a reduced cost considering he was a question mark at that point. Had circumstances been different and he was just coming to the NHL for the first time after developing in Finland things would've looked a lot different. To EDM credit, they didn't sell him for .50 on the dollar, and to Pulju's credit he put his game together.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

He just did that this pass season . Let me guess you will uses the playoffs . Gretzky also had a few playoffs that were ruff . Remember fans saying the Oilers would never win with him . Those basher disappeared pretty quick after Edmonton smoked the 4 time cup champs after being swept the year before . No team outside of the Oilers and the Pens have won more cup since expansion started i guess that why we get the hate . Can't beat them bash them

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad