Speculation: Offersheeting Puljujärvi 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Niederraiter will be off the books and Puljujärvi is the same kinda player. Hurricanes need a little hustle upfront
What if they want to give Necas long term deal similar to Svechnichov? Or keep DeAngelo, which would require a raise of his 1m show me salary. And does Bear get a raise?

I’m not a Canes fan but they need to address the defense after losing Hamilton. Cole and Smith are one year short term filler. Bear and DeAngelo are new RFA experiments. Gardiner is heading to the LTIR, maybe for good.

I don’t think their 2022 1st and millions in cap space should be used on another offer sheet adventure for a winger. And 4m wouldn’t get it done, the Oilers would find a way to match.

There are cheaper ways to improve their offense (without big money and a 1st going to the same one winger), their prospect has to help out here hopefully. And the next big acquisition would probably be a higher end defenseman. Or maybe a higher end goalie.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Puljujarvi is having a trajectory reminiscent of Nichuskin who has found a niche and tailored his game to that of a great third liner.

I could see teams being interested in him, he hustles and has become a great forechecker that has enough skill to make plays and can keep up with more talented players. Underrated player.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What if they want to give Necas long term deal similar to Svechnichov? Or keep DeAngelo, which would require a raise of his 1m show me salary. And does Bear get a raise?

I’m not a Canes fan but they need to address the defense after losing Hamilton. Cole and Smith are one year short term filler. Bear and DeAngelo are new RFA experiments. Gardiner is heading to the LTIR, maybe for good.

I don’t think their 2022 1st and millions in cap space should be used on another offer sheet adventure for a winger. And 4m wouldn’t get it done, the Oilers would find a way to match.

There are cheaper ways to improve their offense (without big money and a 1st going to the same one winger), their prospect has to help out here hopefully. And the next big acquisition would probably be a higher end defenseman. Or maybe a higher end goalie.

Agree mostly here.

The Canes will have a ton of projected cap space (~25M) next summer, but that will get eaten up real quick with Necas needing a new deal and only 11 players under contract past this current season. They just don’t have the space to play the offer sheet game next year.

Assuming Kotkaniemi is a fit as a C, I could see them trading for a guy like Dumba at the deadline to better fill out the D and then deciding to re-sign whoever of Bear/DeAngelo takes the cheapest offer to fill out their 3rd pair.

As to the OP’s notion of Pool-party being a Niederreiter replacement - meh. Next season will be time for the Canes prospect pool to finally fill in some spots, cheaply, most likely to cover the losses of Trocheck and Niederreiter.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Start learning math - 25p in 55gp is 37,3p in 82, so almost 40p pace. He actually is very good on the forecheck and could become a good powerforward in the future. He is also usable infront of the goalie on the PP.
So 25 pts with 97 throwing pucks his way all day on top of it. I watched some of your games, if that guy had any better finish to him he would’ve been ppg. He’s unlikely to maintain his “40” pt seasons with anyone else. He’s a third liner right now. And not worth a first round pick to anyone even “after KK”.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Can you offer sheet someone who will have arbitration rights. I don't think so.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Can you offer sheet someone who will have arbitration rights. I don't think so.
No, a player with arbitration rights is only ineligible to receive an offer sheet if they have filed to receive arbitration.

If the team elects for arbitration, like the Wild did with Fiala this off-season, the player can still receive an offer sheet.

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: VainGretzky

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
McDavid drags this guy around the ice by his hair to get him 37 points and someone is going to give him 4.5m-5.5m? Pat Maroon is a better player. These are Chiasson numbers playing with McDavid but less goals. Pass

It's sad that the Oilers can't do better than these line mates for McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If Barrie has another good season, he would be easy enough to move, that's a good value contract with no NTC attached to it with reasonable enough term.
Maybe, but if thats the case, will it make sense for Edmonton to move a highly productive top-4 defenseman signed to a good contract to match an overpay on Puljujarvi? Especially when NOT matching nets you a first and a 3rd?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think the Kotkaniemi offer sheet made a Puljujarvi offer sheet pretty unlikely. $6M+ seems absurd to me for Kotkaniemi, I think 5+ for Puljujarvi would be too (in addition to picks).

“Keep” being a 40 pt guy? He was a 25 pt guy this year.

This feels like a work around for a bad trade offer thread to get a first for a guy who shouldn’t be worth more than a late second in a trade at best. I wouldn’t have traded anything for this guy last year, and this year it’s up to something like a third rounder for me....but I still wouldn’t do it. I don’t want the player on my team. He’s an Oiler. Let him keep building a career. No one is giving up a first for the guy, and I certainly hope Carolina feels that way too.

Calling him a 25 point guy is just as disingenuous as calling him a 40 point guy.

Both arguments are lacking important context. The 40 point guy didn't say "despite not actually scoring 40 points" and you didn't say "25 point guy in 55 games."

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
50-60 points for him is out of the question for now. He hasn't shown that he could produce that much at any time yet.

He had 15 goals in his last 45 games last season and was on a 50 point pace, most at even strength, while being a terror on the forecheck and solid defensively so he's capable of it, just has to prove it over a longer stretch.

Playing with McDavid or not, he showed a ton of growth in his game last season. He'll have to show consistency going forward but anybody who watched him last season can see clear as day that he was a completely different player compared to his first stint with the Oilers.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Potential to have a break out year for him if he's stapled to Connor or Leon wing

Don't think he signs an offer sheet as he can help that team a good amount.

That said, looks like the Oilers have just about 7 million to sign 6 players next year before Kailer's new deal is accounted for.

There will be someone on the outs and it could be Jesse or Zack. It could be both as they are going to need a goalie thats not on the back nine of their careers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Potential to have a break out year for him if he's stapled to Connor or Leon wing

Don't think he signs an offer sheet as he can help that team a good amount.

That said, looks like the Oilers have just about 7 million to sign 6 players next year before Kailer's new deal is accounted for.

There will be someone on the outs and it could be Jesse or Zack. It could be both as they are going to need a goalie thats not on the back nine of their careers.

That's not including the likely Klefbom LTIR money and projected 1m rise in cap so approximately 12m for Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, McLeod and goalie. It'll be tight but they'll be fine unless some guys have serious breakout seasons.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the Kotkaniemi offer sheet made a Puljujarvi offer sheet pretty unlikely. $6M+ seems absurd to me for Kotkaniemi, I think 5+ for Puljujarvi would be too (in addition to picks).

Calling him a 25 point guy is just as disingenuous as calling him a 40 point guy.

Both arguments are lacking important context. The 40 point guy didn't say "despite not actually scoring 40 points" and you didn't say "25 point guy in 55 games."

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg
My point is that he’s not even a 40 pt guy yet so saying “as long as he keeps up a 40 pt pace....” is disingenuous. Yes he’s more than a 25 pt player over 82 games..... playing with 97 anyways. The fact he’s playing with 97 and only scoring as much as he did isn’t helping Oiler fans finally get what they think he should get in trade value. I watched a bunch of those games. This guy is as gangly and uncoordinated as ever, albeit with a good work ethic. He should’ve had so many more pts than he did. If he can’t score them with 97 he isn’t going to score them anywhere else.

He’s a good Oiler. They should keep him and be happy with what he becomes. He’s working hard enough. He should be on the third line busting his tail every night opposite Foegele.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My point is that he’s not even a 40 pt guy yet so saying “as long as he keeps up a 40 pt pace....” is disingenuous. Yes he’s more than a 25 pt player over 82 games..... playing with 97 anyways. The fact he’s playing with 97 and only scoring as much as he did isn’t helping Oiler fans finally get what they think he should get in trade value. I watched a bunch of those games. This guy is as gangly and uncoordinated as ever, albeit with a good work ethic. He should’ve had so many more pts than he did. If he can’t score them with 97 he isn’t going to score them anywhere else.

He’s a good Oiler. They should keep him and be happy with what he becomes. He’s working hard enough. He should be on the third line busting his tail every night opposite Foegele.

He had 23 points in roughly 45 games with McDavid most at even strength (most top 6 players get a PP boost in production) so you're wrong with the 25 point player comment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like Puljujarvi but I don't think he's really someone worth throwing a massive offersheet at. I'd trade the equivalent of a 1st and 3rd for him, but I wouldn't want to pay him the cap hit that would come with that compensation. He is in the same boat as Kotkaniemi with that.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Aho is smartest player in hockey. Is that news for you?

McDavid can be better in other areas like skating.
He may be smart but he is still an Aho...

Didnt know there was an exam \ IQ test done for ALL hockey players in the world that Aho came in at top... interesting news.

Having said that, Puljujarvi would probably prefer playing on a line with Aho over McDavid for reasons other than 'smartness' or talent level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad