Off Season Trade Thread vol. IV: Spezza's Long Goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
They have been unhappy with him this season for some reason.

Considering Andre mentioned giving the info to a mod, and the team he was referring to seems like it was most likely the Rangers, and then you make these posts about the Rangers and Stepan....is it safe to say Stepan was offered lol?

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
If he keeps up his insane volume of shooting and hits league average in shooting % he could easily become a 20 goal scorer.

It seems like a lot of his shots are rushed or forced... Shooting for the sake of shooting... Im sure if he becomes a regular the coaches will have him change the way he plays somewhat..

Shooting the puck is great, but often there are better plays to be made, or being patient will present a better opportunity.

Just something I noticed watching him...

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Any reason the deal wouldnt have gotten done at that point?

The tacking on of impending UFAs and asking for players off our roster we dont want to part with. When there is substantial interest and your team isnt going anywhere until the next season, theres no reason to rush a trade.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I can think of a few reasons.

1) If the team is in the playoffs, you can't/wont make a change.
2) As soon as the season is over for most players they take a vacation right away. They might need to get medical approval before trade is official.
3) NHL might want teams to wait till draft to make it more entertaining.
4) Wait to see if you can get a better deal?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Considering Andre mentioned giving the info to a mod, and the team he was referring to seems like it was most likely the Rangers, and then you make these posts about the Rangers and Stepan....is it safe to say Stepan was offered lol?

Different mod.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

I wasn't the mod that vetted the info.
My guesses are just that.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
My first option is still to keep Spezza but if we go the trade route, we should try to get a very good winger rather than a #2-3 centre. We already have a lot of depth at centre and even though none of them are close to the #1 caliber Spezza can be, I think we're in a good position with Turris, Zibby and Lazar going forward.

I think Da Costa will be traded which leaves Smith and Pageau.

If we do get a centre back in return, it has to be a lefthanded centre.

Valar Morghulis

Jun 10, 2011
Ottawa
St. Louis was a favorite to win at the deadline. So I could see why they wouldn't want to change their top 6, considering they were so dominant. Not many expected their terrible run at the end of the season.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I am pretty sure they already knew what they were going to do with Spezza and the reason for bringing Hemsky in was to show how effective he is with high skilled players. Thats speculation on my part though.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I dont consider any prospects untouchable. They were established 50+ point players.

Also I obviously cant put a muzzle on anyone, but it would be cool if we could keep this info on the Sens board. This is our little hockey family and I wouldnt tell anyone else but you guys. Also, it will just cause more pointless arguments with fans who expect to get something from nothing.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
McIlrath has turned into a pretty solid defenseman for the Rangers farm team. He's not just a goon, he can play as well.

His upside is Gryba (at the top of his game) that can throw with the heavyweights of the league. Pretty valuable player.

Compared to Spezza , that's not valuable.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Thanks for the information Andre. I was thinking the other day about Rangers might be a good trading partner too.

Just my pure speculation on how they will get the deal done with NYR:

Spezza + Condra/Greening/Wier/Boro
for
Option 1. Stepan (or Brassard) + John Moore + 1st rounder.
Option 2. Stepan + Brassard + John Moore
Option 3. Kreider + Stepan + 2nd rounder

And I also checked Capgeek, and realized how tight Rangers are against the cap, and with all the RFAs they have, it makes lots of sense that they would unload roster players to make this deal happen...just a thought.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
At the very least, all this Spezza talk has turned what was going to be a very dull offseason with a lot of complaining into a less dull offseason with lots of complaining.

Right, and that's why Brassard was the main piece in the trade proposal you commented on, not McIlrath.

I agree. He'd certainly be a secondary piece in a Spezza deal.

If Spezza was to go to NYR, I'd expect something like Brassard + McIlrath + 1st (or similarly valued prospect) in return.

My point is, why trade Spezza if we are just trading him for a package in which a center is the main piece? We need a young defenseman coming back who has top pairing potential, or is a top pairing defender. If Brassard comes this way, then Zibanejad will be stuck yet again as the third line center, when he is capable of playing as the second line center.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If I had to choose between Stepan and Brassard, I'd pick Stepan.

Stepan + Moore + 1st (me likey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad