Off Season Trade Thread vol. IV: Spezza's Long Goodbye

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
I hope Murray isn't dumb enough to just trade Spezza if we don't get a proper offer. His value seems to be at an all time low, its almost laughable. May as well keep him.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I hope Murray isn't dumb enough to just trade Spezza if we don't get a proper offer. His value seems to be at an all time low, its almost laughable. May as well keep him.

How exactly do you know this? Are you talking to other GM's around the league?

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

Are you determining his value based on HF posters?

His value probably is at an all time low since he entered the league with so much prestige and is entering his final year as a controllable asset.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014

His HFBoards value is at an all time low, but I would imagine that his value around the league is pretty high. He is a legitimate number one centre that can get 80 points in a season if he stays healthy

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Does anyone else lack confidence in Hoffman as a longterm option? He's a really good player but I worry about if he will score consistently at the top level.

If he keeps up his insane volume of shooting and hits league average in shooting % he could easily become a 20 goal scorer.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
How exactly do you know this? Are you talking to other GM's around the league?

No, just people that I meet and talk to around the city, or where ever. No one values him nearly as much as they did just a year ago. He's not really any worse than he was then.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

all time low on the trade boards where fans of the teams that wants spezza over value their own players and all time low in this thread, then yes you are correct.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
There's a Spezza to Nashville thread on the trade board (Eklund), and the proposal of Wilson, Ekholm and the Preds 1st (11th) seems to be pretty close to what I expect in any return. I severely doubt we'll get a Schwartz/Oshie like some people seem to believe.

I wonder if we could get Wilson changed to Craig Smith? Put up 52 points (24G, 28A) on a team that was 20th in offense, I'd like to see what he could do on a team that was 10th. Even if it meant downgrading the pick to a 2nd I could probably live with it if it meant getting Smith instead of Wilson.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If you're expecting Schwartz, Oshie or Tarasenko, you're going to be very disappointed.

I think oshie might be more attainable than Schwartz or tarasenko. The blues are a strong defensive team, losing a defensive forward doesn't cripple them, where as if the sens trade lets say turris or macarthur its a huge blow to the team. this is a reason I think shattenkirk could be an option, for such a strong defensive team, I don't think losing their 3-4 defenseman is such a big deal to acquire a huge/ only piece they are missing.. By no means am I saying we are getting both, but one of the two isn't completely out of the question. I think backes tarasenko and Schwartz are their untouchables.
I don't know who will be more desperate though, the blues, who need a player like spezza, or the ducks, who legitimately dont have a second line center. having getzlaf and spezza could really put them over the hump. that's 2 first line PPG centers, I think a team would give up quite a bit to be able to roll with that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There's a Spezza to Nashville thread on the trade board (Eklund), and the proposal of Wilson, Ekholm and the Preds 1st (11th) seems to be pretty close to what I expect in any return. I severely doubt we'll get a Schwartz/Oshie like some people seem to believe.

I wonder if we could get Wilson changed to Craig Smith? Put up 52 points (24G, 28A) on a team that was 20th in offense, I'd like to see what he could do on a team that was 10th. Even if it meant downgrading the pick to a 2nd I could probably live with it if it meant getting Smith instead of Wilson.

I dont knowif I would downgrade the big from smith. we can turn 11th overall into something, and Wilson is still a really good hockey player
I also really dont think murray will be taking young d men back in this deal

Last edited:

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
I dont knowif I would downgrade the big from smith. we can turn 11th overall into something, and Wilson is still a really good hockey player

Preds fans don't seem to be all that high on Wilson anymore (at least from what I've read). I wouldn't be upset with the original proposal of Wilson, Ekholm and a 1st though. Wilson is still only 24 and could maybe just use a change of scenery.

RE: Smith, he was in on 24% of the Preds offense, on a team that ranked 20th in the league for GF. I don't think he's a much of a downgrade (if at all).

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Do that trade, then package 11th with Prince/Hoffman/DaCosta/gryba to move up to 5-9th

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Preds fans don't seem to be all that high on Wilson anymore (at least from what I've read). I wouldn't be upset with the original proposal of Wilson, Ekholm and a 1st though. Wilson is still only 24 and could maybe just use a change of scenery.

RE: Smith, he was in on 24% of the Preds offense, on a team that ranked 20th in the league for GF. I don't think he's a much of a downgrade (if at all).

oh im not saying smith is the downgrade. im saying I dont know if the downgrade of the pick is worth the difference between Wilson and smith.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Do that trade, then package 11th with Prince/Hoffman/DaCosta/gryba to move up to 5-9th

Im no draft expert and I dont know Murrays & the scouts opinion but from what ive read and seen, the players available at 5th-9th aren't really any different from the 11th spot.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Just got a text that I've been waiting a long time for... One of the teams who has expressed the most interest is still in the playoffs. The only thing I'll add to that is they are rumored to have been looking into a high profile C buyout... so basically one of two teams ;)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
oh im not saying smith is the downgrade. im saying I dont know if the downgrade of the pick is worth the difference between Wilson and smith.

I'd almost rather Smith than Wilson + 11th. Used to be a huge fan of Wilsons but he hasnt shown squat other than the lockout year

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Just got a text that I've been waiting a long time for... One of the teams who has expressed the most interest is still in the playoffs. The only thing I'll add to that is they are rumored to have been looking into a high profile C buyout... so basically one of two teams ;)

So Rangers or LA.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa

kings?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
nbc keeps bringing up mcdonagh trade talk.. think we can go spezza for mcdonagh straight?

Not a chance. McDonagh played like a top 10 defenseman this season and is the #1D on the Rangers.

Getting Josi is a dream. Getting McDonagh is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad