Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
They do not need another fourth liner, in my opinion. They have more than enough bottom six players.

What they need, and what they can acquire given a less than stellar market, is a decent two-way center, sandpaper and responsibility on the back end (Brenden Dillon), and badly needed *primary* scoring.

I disagree that they don't need another 4th liner. They signed Lucic. When that didn't work out they traded for Maroon. They need a hitter who can play on the 4th line and don't really have that in the system.

If they can sign the 4th liner for 4th line money that's not going to prevent them from signing anyone else. They have to pay someone to fill that 4LW spot, it might as well be someone who can contribute something. Duhaime is blazing fast, he hits everything, he'll fight anyone...

It doesn't have to be Duhaime (Providence College) but I think they sign someone for that role.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Is it a guarantee he will score goals in every playoff? So why are the rangers putting him on waivers if he is so valuable?

No guarantee at all….

But also, nobody suggested they pay him any more than 4th line money.

Considering he hits, forechecks, kills penalties, and did score 6 goals this playoffs, I’d take him over Lauko, or Boqvist on our 4th line any day.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Fine but to sign him and count on him to be a major contributor in the playoffs is fools gold

I don’t ever expect a 4th liner to be a major contributor in the playoffs.

I’m on record as saying I think that 35/40% of the league are interchangeable JAG’s.

If our stars play even with the other teams stars and our JAG’s outplay the other teams JAG’s in the playoffs, chances are we win.

Just gotta hope you have enough top end talent and that you pick the right JAG’s for the bottom 3/4 spots up front and bottom 5/7 defensemen.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Here are the thoughts from the CLB Mods and fans there. Didn't want anymore 'didn't think this one out' posts, lol.

So are we going to listen to the NJ fans who aren’t interested in moving the 10 for Markstrom/Ullmark?

My original point was goalies don’t return much, so Ullmak for Laine with 50% retention straight up isn’t feasible. And if we are taking other fan’s opinions as gospel then Devils fans saying no to 10th pick for Ullmark means your idea is dead in the water.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
So are we going to listen to the NJ fans who aren’t interested in moving the 10 for Markstrom/Ullmark?

My original point was goalies don’t return much, so Ullmak for Laine with 50% retention straight up isn’t feasible. And if we are taking other fan’s opinions as gospel then Devils fans saying no to 10th pick for Ullmark means your idea is dead in the water.
No it doesn’t. It means that once we know what the Bruins get for Ullmark and move it, the Jackets fans are up for a trade around that value.

Nothing dead at all, but what a condescending way to say it. Did you have a bad day or something?

The Laine situation is kind of interesting. No doubt there's 30-40 goal talent there, but I'm not convinced he gets it. Could it pay off? Absolutely, but I honestly have zero idea what to think of him at this stage of his career.
I’m right there with you. Dog days of summer coming and the UFA market isn’t overwhelming. Looking for that talent out there that can be on a great contract during a run seems to be the key to winning.

Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't think we need Zadorov to be a "top pairing D" to play in the top pair here. Lindholm-Carlo get the heavy Dzone starts. McAvoy has generally been paired with guys who are not top pairing caliber defensemen and he still puts up Norris caliber seasons.

Zadorov played over 20 minutes a game in the playoffs and was +3. He put up 4 goals and 8 points in 14 games, he joins the rush, he likes to shoot, he is an intimidating physical presence... that's better than what McAvoy has had to work with in the past. (And this organization is very good at working with defensemen.)

You also have the option to slide Lohrei up in the lineup if you're behind, but starting him in the 3rd pair with PP time feels like a good place for him to start his first full season.

(Fwiw, I'm not against the cheaper option in Dillon option. That option gives you some more money to spend up front, even though I don't really like the remaining UFA's forwards we can afford to sign.)
I love Zadorov. He was a hero here. But for six million I have to think that’s a contract you regret.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It’s an interesting dynamic for sure. Especially when the people coming in here shooting down everyone else’s suggestions refuse to suggest who they think the bruins should bring in.

No issues with people not liking players, but how can they hate every suggestion.

Also seems to be quite the overlap of people who are willing to overpay to retain bruins but hate every proposed move for non bruins

I digress though because I guess technically running it back exactly the same is a possibility even thought insanely unlikely.
I’m scewihg around with the DeBrusk / Heinen narrative because it’s like the dead time but I’m cool with pretty much everyone from Laine to Dakota Joshua to Mantha or any of those centers

Just give me multiple presents under the tree

I do want a number 1 pick - preferably 10 but I’ll take 24 …..it’s been so long

Thankfully I’ve finally got interested in Finals - in typical Me-ism I both admire and like the type of skill/ahole-ish team Florida is and hate them. Probably some jealousy but I would love to see Edmonton beat them

Florida I think gets one of these last two but it’s atleast got me off my DeBrusk- Heinen campaign and I Ty Connor McDavid for dragging me into the series

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I disagree that they don't need another 4th liner. They signed Lucic. When that didn't work out they traded for Maroon. They need a hitter who can play on the 4th line and don't really have that in the system.

If they can sign the 4th liner for 4th line money that's not going to prevent them from signing anyone else. They have to pay someone to fill that 4LW spot, it might as well be someone who can contribute something. Duhaime is blazing fast, he hits everything, he'll fight anyone...

It doesn't have to be Duhaime (Providence College) but I think they sign someone for that role.
Duhaime is obvious guy since Providence College has a Bruins-like second cousin feel

Their coach has worn Bruins garb and been on the ice during Dev Camp/ the Bruins are often at PC games scouting HE games or watching Duran, Gallagher, Svedeback, Ford etc ….its such a great place they seem to like it and affinity for PC players

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think we need Zadorov to be a "top pairing D" to play in the top pair here. Lindholm-Carlo get the heavy Dzone starts. McAvoy has generally been paired with guys who are not top pairing caliber defensemen and he still puts up Norris caliber seasons.

Zadorov played over 20 minutes a game in the playoffs and was +3. He put up 4 goals and 8 points in 14 games, he joins the rush, he likes to shoot, he is an intimidating physical presence... that's better than what McAvoy has had to work with in the past. (And this organization is very good at working with defensemen.)

You also have the option to slide Lohrei up in the lineup if you're behind, but starting him in the 3rd pair with PP time feels like a good place for him to start his first full season.

(Fwiw, I'm not against the cheaper option in Dillon option. That option gives you some more money to spend up front, even though I don't really like the remaining UFA's forwards we can afford to sign.)
I don’t want either of them. I want to lock Lohrei in a top 6 role and deal with the lumps in November and December. Find a vet LD who can move the puck. Wotherspoon can play silly side and you’ve already gotten younger in the bottom pair with him and Peeke. I’d be willing to pay a bit more than Shattenkirk but I’m not paying $3M+ down there. You can always find a vet physical defenseman at the deadline.

I’d overpay for quality at the top. I don’t think they need to sign four forwards. Make a big play for Guentzel, or Marchessault - whoever your guy is. I’d rather it not be Lindholm but if that’s your guy ok. Going to need to overpay to get it done but I think it’s worth it.

Give Guentzel $10.5x7. Or Marchessault 3x$6M. Or if Reinhart or Stamkos break free then go big there. Have to get one. Then use Ullmark directly or indirectly to get a second tier guy. Hard to even predict who that would be - but somewhere in the Zacha range. If Jake signs you have replaced Heinen.

Your best case is Geekie is 4RW. Two adds up front. Poitras grabs a spot. And we’re better.
No it doesn’t. It means that once we know what the Bruins get for Ullmark and move it, the Jackets fans are up for a trade around that value.

Nothing dead at all, but what a condescending way to say it. Did you have a bad day or something?

I’m right there with you. Dog days of summer coming and the UFA market isn’t overwhelming. Looking for that talent out there that can be on a great contract during a run seems to be the key to winning.
And now on the Ottawa board there’s a fan quoting Bruins posters that they could trade Tkachuk for Pasta.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Horrific?

Pasta is a gifted one in a million offensive tower. No doubt about it.

But if I could get someone more in the Bruins mold, that is the mold of yore, I would do so.

I have nothing against David but he is a purely offensive talent. He doesn't give you anything else. Maybe you don't need anything else.

Nonetheless, I'd rather have somebody more j with much more jam who can score and defend.

That's an old take. But I kind of feel that way.
Odd...insane....tomato/tomahto

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
IMG_0766.jpeg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
At this point gotta think Jake is gone, right? like gone gone
My impression is neither can wait to separate and it's spilling into the media. Jake with the "I'm surprised it's not done yet" really irritated Sweeney with his firing back of "It takes two to tango" (not exact quote). I really like him, and he really is probably the best option at his price point in UFA but it just seems time to move on, as public negotiations rarely end well.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Yup I don’t get it

He had 110 points 43 more points then Brad Marchand and 50 more than Charlie Coyle

he’s 27 the others are 33 and 36

But what if we could get a player in return who stands up for his teammates, is a leader, and is the only person on their current roster to throw down this past playoffs with a guy who is far more a brawler than himself?

I’d argue if we could get THAT player, he would exemplify what it means to be a Bruins.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have nothing against David but he is a purely offensive talent. He doesn't give you anything else.

All due respect, but Pastrnak isn't just offense. I saw him lay hits and be physical in the playoffs, got into the muck and fought Tkachuk.

His two-way game for some reason gets no respect around here but he's a good two-way winger and if he wasn't trusted defensively, not a chance he plays multiple years on a line with Marchand and Bergeron on a Cassidy coached team going up against the opposing teams top offensive players.

I already know the responses from posters "well Marchand and Bergeron cover for Pasta" which is complete baloney. This is the NHL and it doesn't work like that, certainly not in today's game. If you are putting a line up against other teams top lines expecting them to keep them in check, you need all 3 guys to be capable defensively.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
But what if we could get a player in return who stands up for his teammates, is a leader, and is the only person on their current roster to throw down this past playoffs with a guy who is far more a brawler than himself?

I’d argue if we could get THAT player, he would exemplify what it means to be a Bruins.
If we lose 2-1 but win fights I’m actuelly good with this

I have several fight tapes and 0.0 goal tapes so if we could trade Pastrnak for Bob Probert if he was around I’m all in

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
At this point gotta think Jake is gone, right? like gone gone

I’m very interested to see how this goes. At bare minimum both camps seems to be very willing to let Debrusk test the market.

I wonder how far apart they are. Is Sweeney in the mid $5mil and debrusks camp in the $6.5m range?

Hopefully he tests the market and at least let’s Boston make a counter offer

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Again, your pitch to CLB fans was 10 overall for Laine with almost 4 million in retainment. One guy you quoted said #10OA + a 3rd that could become a 2nd was the price.

Devils fans aren’t interested in an Ullmark for#10 swap. Like I said goalies don’t return that much. Please provide an example if you believe they do. Schneider is an apples to oranges comparison so don’t go there.

Now you’re giving some vague statement that whatever they move Ullmark for CLB fans will take. It’s impossible to say that without knowing what the return will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad