Off-season thread

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Suter is my new favorite player...

His existence was the one thing that made Nill’s recent press conference smell like total bullshit to me. You’re telling me if Bichsel forces your hand and plays better than Ryan Suter you’re gonna be flexible to that? Please.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm sorry, this is the only Duchesne recognized here

s-l400.jpg

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I'm confused why everyone doesn't understand the D pairings. You want a guy on each pairing who can get the puck out, so how the hell is a Suter-Hakanpaa pairing gonna do anything but get stuck in their own end for minutes on end? Or maybe you want to see a Harely-Heiskanen pairing playing 35+ minutes a night, guaranteeing that they're worn out and nursing injuries come playoffs?

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I'm confused why everyone doesn't understand the D pairings. You want a guy on each pairing who can get the puck out, so how the hell is a Suter-Hakanpaa pairing gonna do anything but get stuck in their own end for minutes on end? Or maybe you want to see a Harely-Heiskanen pairing playing 35+ minutes a night, guaranteeing that they're worn out and nursing injuries come playoffs?
Suter-Hakanpaa may not be ideal but I’d rather have that as our bottom pair than have Suter on the top pair.

If you stick with what you're suggesting (which I think is a good idea in a vacuum), then Miro, Harley and Nils have to be split up. That leave Suter, Lindell or Hakanpaa to play with Miro on the first pair. That’s no good.

Reactions: piqued

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

We just want Suter gone

Is that too much to ask for

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Did Saad forget the Nils played 60 regular season games? Holy f*** what a stupid question at 1:50.

Pretty sure its Saad.. maybe Im wrong.

Nils has double the NHL games, and is a year older, apparently he is following in Harleys footsteps

LOL

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I want to see a Robertson Johnston combo lol dammit!!!

DeBoer rolls 4 lines so it’s definitely important for us to spread the wealth. They touched on that a bit in their press conferences. They like Hintz/Johnston/Duchene all on separate lines as rush threats. We’ll see if that holds up though.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
DeBoer rolls 4 lines so it’s definitely important for us to spread the wealth. They touched on that a bit in their press conferences. They like Hintz/Johnston/Duchene all on separate lines as rush threats. We’ll see if that holds up though.
That's fine, but Robertson-Johnston could be an even better combo than with Hintz. Maybe not, but I want to see it...

Robertson Johnston Pavelski
Benn Hintz Dadonov
Marchment Seguin Duchene

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Did Saad forget the Nils played 60 regular season games? Holy f*** what a stupid question at 1:50.

Pretty sure its Saad.. maybe Im wrong.

Nils has double the NHL games, and is a year older, apparently he is following in Harleys footsteps

LOL
In terms of games that mattered, Lundkvist played zero playoff games because he was scratched after Harley leapfrogged him to climb up the depth chart. Seems like a fine question to me.

Reactions: LT

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
In terms of games that mattered, Lundkvist played zero playoff games because he was scratched after Harley leapfrogged him to climb up the depth chart. Seems like a fine question to me.

Look at Harelys response, the question is off.

Lundqvist made the team, Harley didn't. The guy isn't following in Harleys footsteps.

Reactions: M88K

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Suter-Hakanpaa may not be ideal but I’d rather have that as our bottom pair than have Suter on the top pair.

If you stick with what you're suggesting (which I think is a good idea in a vacuum), then Miro, Harley and Nils have to be split up. That leave Suter, Lindell or Hakanpaa to play with Miro on the first pair. That’s no good.

When Miro was paired with Miller last season 5on5 Miller still usually ended up with just 15-18 minutes. Doubt that happens with Suter but its possible to manage down the minutes of one defenseman on a pairing while the other still plays 25+

Like i really don't want to see a Suter-Hakanpää pairing. That just screams really slow. Much worse than Esa-Hakanpää was. That pairing at least didn't really become a problem until the playoffs started . Don't think you want to hurt yourself with a third pairing like that on purpose.

Also i really do not want to see Suter quarterbacking the 2nd PP unit again. It didn't work last year and there's better younger options available in Harley and Lundkvist

Last edited:

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
The only way we get a young guy on the top pair longterm is if Bischel somehow takes a spot and Suter is mysteriously disappears.

Actually maybe Lundkvist could get it but I think we all will bet against it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Or we sign someone next offseason (Pesce? Matt Roy?). There are several potential long term options available.

Reactions: piqued

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Or we sign someone next offseason (Pesce? Matt Roy?). There are several potential long term options available.
Damn I completely phrased my post wrong.

With 'longterm' I meant longterm this season. Unlike how we got Lundkvist with Miro for a few games last season.

But yeah, you are absolutely correct.

Reactions: LT

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm really hoping March, Duchene and Segs click as a line, but I'm not getting my hopes up

If Stank or Bourque make the team, I guess that would bump March or Segs down to play with Faksa and Delly. Either way this has to be one of our most stacked forward group we've had in along time

Ad

Ad

Ad