Off-season thread

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure we need 7 goalies in training camp ( unless someone is injured ? ) but Gibson as an invite makes a hell alot of more sense than Halverson. At least Gibson has good AHL experience. The Bakich guy sure why not invite some local ECHL dude

Jordie with #81 . I somehow want him to randomly earn a contract and play the season with #81 on defense.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure why we signed Bayreuther then but i guess that was before Jani decided not to have surgery ?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I think the Stars' blueline might get ugly this seez, especially as the season wears on and Suter/Jani get slower and slower. Lindell won't be great in that regard either and if he is paired up with Jani the majority of the time...UGH.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I think the Stars' blueline might get ugly this seez, especially as the season wears on and Suter/Jani get slower and slower. Lindell won't be great in that regard either and if he is paired up with Jani the majority of the time...UGH.

Harley will be even better this year and take some pressure/minutes off Miro. I expect Lundkvist to take another step this year and Bichsel looks like he can contend for a bottom pairing spot. Competition will be good for these guys. We have options if injuries/fatigue sets in.

Reactions: Dallasman

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
I also am assuming Harley and Nils will play significant roles this year and going forward. I doubt Hakanpaa pairs with Esa again but would not at all be surprised to be wrong about that to start the season. Not as sold on Bichsel being ready just yet. Hopefully they go with more of a rotation with Jani and everyone else I didnt mention yet. At least they’d be rested.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Good AHL guy, who can be #7 for first injury. It makes sense, the AHL D is very young so they needed another vet.

Sure but its a 1-way deal and they also have Petrovic , Pouliout and Rosburg has been around for a while too . They didn*t neccessarily need another vet in the AHL specially one thats paid a full NHL salary regardless where he plays .

They must've expected Jani to miss time because of surgery which then didn't happen. Not a big deal i just think they don't sign Bayreuther if they know that Jani decides to not get surgary

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Almost noon on media day and not one post from the Stars social medial. But hey, at least we get to see photos of Seguin’s wedding. For f***s sake bankrupt Bally is posting lol. No mention at all for our 30th anniversary either. The marketing and social media team suck ass now.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Sure but its a 1-way deal and they also have Petrovic , Pouliout and Rosburg has been around for a while too . They didn*t neccessarily need another vet in the AHL specially one thats paid a full NHL salary regardless where he plays .

They must've expected Jani to miss time because of surgery which then didn't happen. Not a big deal i just think they don't sign Bayreuther if they know that Jani decides to not get surgary

I mean, 1 way vs 2 way is meaningless for the organization, its a $350k premium. End of the day, 1 NHL and 1 AHL defender injury without Bayruether is looking slim. That is why you sign depth.

We all saw Kyrou, Grush, White etc. at Traverse, those aren't strong AHL defenders they will struggle.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean, 1 way vs 2 way is meaningless for the organization, its a $350k premium. End of the day, 1 NHL and 1 AHL defender injury without Bayruether is looking slim. That is why you sign depth.

We all saw Kyrou, Grush, White etc. at Traverse, those aren't strong AHL defenders they will struggle.

It would be an issue if the have too many players on the AHL roster considered veterans but unless they give Jordie a contract and send him to the AHL they are right at the limited IRC .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
People need to stop using Traverse City as a measure of anything.
Dellandrea was absolute ass last year or the year before and all the FO did was rave about how well he played

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
People need to stop using Traverse City as a measure of anything.
Dellandrea was absolute ass last year or the year before and all the FO did was rave about how well he played

Why would we ignore it when players have made the NHL roster, in part, because of that tournament and others have earned NHL contracts, in part, because of that tournament?

It's like people are big fans of Kyrou and since he was absolute dogshit, people are trying to dismiss the tournament or something? "Scrimmages" it was said in another thread. Hah.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Why would we ignore it when players have made the NHL roster, in part, because of that tournament and others have earned NHL contracts, in part, because of that tournament?

It's like people are big fans of Kyrou and since he was absolute dogshit, people are trying to dismiss the tournament or something? "Scrimmages" it was said in another thread. Hah.
Nobody has made the roster because of how they played at this tournament, That's some crazy shit Bruce would come up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kipper 17

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Nobody has made the roster because of how they played at this tournament.

Mattis Janmark did.

Its obvious that this tournament impacts things down the line in terms of number of preseason games, etc.

You guys are like "This is useless in evaluation".. then why is the GM, NHL Coaches, NHL Scouts and full management team there watching if its some dumb scrimmage?

LOL

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Mattis Janmark did.

Its obvious that this tournament impacts things down the line in terms of number of preseason games, etc.

You guys are like "This is useless in evaluation".. then why is the GM, NHL Coaches, NHL Scouts and full management team there watching if its some dumb scrimmage?

LOL
no he didn't

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Janmark didn't just make the roster because of Traverse thats dumb. He was also good in camp and earned himself a spot there. Nobody makes the NHL just off a good traverse city

Reactions: LT and Kipper 17

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
no he didn't

Mattis was going to go to main camp, then go back to Sweden. Traverse City kicked off him making the NHL roster 100%. If he had 0 points, and did nothing he would not have been given the opportunity to make NHL team. Its a fact.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Mattis was going to go to main camp, then go back to Sweden. Traverse City kicked off him making the NHL roster 100%. If he had 0 points, and did nothing he would not have been given the opportunity to make NHL team. Its a fact.

A good Traverse is at best a first step to making the NHL roster. IRC Wyatt wasn't that spectacular there last year . Where he made the roster is camp and pre-season

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It's not, but you can live with that delusion if you want.
His Training Camp performance and pre-season play is what got him a roster spot. They didn't plan on him sticking around outside of the 1 game they were 100% giving him. He could have not played in Traverse City and nothing would have changed. He still would have made the roster based on how he was at camp and in the preseason

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Harley will be even better this year and take some pressure/minutes off Miro. I expect Lundkvist to take another step this year and Bichsel looks like he can contend for a bottom pairing spot. Competition will be good for these guys. We have options if injuries/fatigue sets in.
I hope you are right. I just don't see Suter, Jani and to a certain extent Esa being very good in any combo. I'm high on Harley, but not so much on Nils.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Almost noon on media day and not one post from the Stars social medial. But hey, at least we get to see photos of Seguin’s wedding. For f***s sake bankrupt Bally is posting lol. No mention at all for our 30th anniversary either. The marketing and social media team suck ass now.
why do we give a shit about social media? wake me up when they actually play hockey or make roster or front office moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad