Off-season thread

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Squeezed out, he just started getting overwhelmed in the playoffs. In the regular season he was fine albeit carried by Heiskanen
That's what I suspected.

Initial thought on the Devils board was "why would Dallas do this?". His surface #'s look pretty good. But digging deeper not so much. Still fine for what we are looking for though.

Thanks.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
That's what I suspected.

Initial thought on the Devils board was "why would Dallas do this?". His surface #'s look pretty good. But digging deeper not so much. Still fine for what we are looking for though.

Thanks.

If you guys were needing a defenseman that ain't afraid to shoot, you got the perfect one in Miller, though. Dude is like Fulton Reed every time someone passes him the puck in the offensive zone. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 506 and devilsblood

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If you guys were needing a defenseman that ain't afraid to shoot, you got the perfect one in Miller, though. Dude is like Fulton Reed every time someone passes him the puck in the offensive zone. :laugh:
And both his slap shot and wrist shots are high end in the velocity department, but like you say, his choice when to shoot is a flow chart with two questions: do I have the puck and am I in the offensive zone. His accuracy also leaves a bit to be desired because he loves hitting shinpads.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What we are looking for is a capable stop gap until Simon Nemec is ready.

At first blush I though Miller might be a guy who can hold the fort the entire season, but the more I look, and from the info here that he was benched in the playoffs, I suspect we will be seeing Nemec around midseason.

Reactions: LT

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah Miller is fine as long as you have a succession plan for who is replacing his minutes down the stretch. In the Stars' case they had former 1st rounder Thomas Harley ready to roll by playoff time.

Reactions: devilsblood and LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What we are looking for is a capable stop gap until Simon Nemec is ready.

At first blush I though Miller might be a guy who can hold the fort the entire season, but the more I look, and from the info here that he was benched in the playoffs, I suspect we will be seeing Nemec around midseason.

Sounds ideal for all sides (except Miller ending up without a job).

Reactions: devilsblood

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

This kid is f***ing ice cold and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes balls to the wall to try and make the team out of camp.

Reactions: Triple Ex El

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX

This kid is f***ing ice cold and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes balls to the wall to try and make the team out of camp.

Honestly I don't want Stankoven to be in Dallas this year because I want to make it over to Cedar Park for the first time in years so I can see him and Bichsel play in person. :laugh:

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Miller was better than Hakanpaa in the playoffs, but they wanted some size against Vegas. I would have much preferred keeping him.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is this stupid? With the amount of available cap reducing, maybe some remaining RD will take 1 year pay cuts before the cap goes up and might take a chance on a cup contender.

Trade out Marchment, Hakanpaa (gives us about $6.5 in cap)

- sign Dumba 2.5 x 1
- sign Bear 2 x 1
- sign Dellandea 1.25 x 1

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Benn - Johnston - Daddy
Stankoven - Seguin - Duchene
Steel - Faksa - Dellandea
Bourque/Smith

Heiskanen - Dumba
Harley - Lundkvist
Lindell - Bear
Suter/Hanley

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Is this stupid? With the amount of available cap reducing, maybe some remaining RD will take 1 year pay cuts before the cap goes up and might take a chance on a cup contender.

Trade out Marchment, Hakanpaa (gives us about $6.5 in cap)

- sign Dumba 2.5 x 1
- sign Bear 2 x 1
- sign Dellandea 1.25 x 1

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Benn - Johnston - Daddy
Stankoven - Seguin - Duchene
Steel - Faksa - Dellandea
Bourque/Smith

Heiskanen - Dumba
Harley - Lundkvist
Lindell - Bear
Suter/Hanley

Oettinger
Wedgewood
Pass on the bold.
The yellow will never happen

Reactions: redbeardtx

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I don’t really think there’s a move for Dumba out there unless Nill strictly wants to clear cap with Marchment, which isn’t really his style for mid-large contracts. Think it’s gonna be a trade for a Tanev or a bigger trade for a Pesce. He seems enamored with one year deals this offseason so they fit the bill.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Outside of another one of those 1 year deals i don't see how we can afford Dumba anyway even if we move Marchment or Faksa out and don't take money back

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What do you guys think it would take to get Karlsson 5m retained ?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
2 first rounders and some decent prospects at the very least. He's coming off way too good of a season for him not to have alot of value and the Sharks retaining that much will be expensive too

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What do you guys think it would take to get Karlsson 5m retained ?

It would have to involve a third team. The cost to get two teams to pay 10M and use a retainment slot for four years is immense. And that's before you even factor in the value of Karlsson himself.

Reactions: Dallasman

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I think Nill is still working up a trade for a dman. Marchment+Dellandrea+pick might work.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
2 first rounders and some decent prospects at the very least. He's coming off way too good of a season for him not to have alot of value and the Sharks retaining that much will be expensive too
It would have to involve a third team. The cost to get two teams to pay 10M and use a retainment slot for four years is immense. And that's before you even factor in the value of Karlsson himself.
Marchment , faksa , 2024 1st , lundqvist , bourque for Karlsson at 6.5m . Who says no ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad