Off-season thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Could be anything this year with the UFA crop, tbh.
Yeah, with all of the new UFAs, who knows. I think a lot of plans got completely scrambled today. The one thing I can predict is the trade options are probably being put on hold while teams instead try to see which of these free agents they can get for a steal.

Reactions: LT

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I guess asking a simple question about a thing literally everyone is speculating about counts as media pressure in Dallas.
Hey, some of us are tired of, or at least recognize the tendency for this board and some media to pick a scapegoat every year and demand they be dumped, with Guri, Faksa, Klinger, Suter and a few others earning(?) our wrath for an entire year, sometimes for one bad play or pretty vague reasons. If you believe PDB knows what he is doing as a respected NHL coach, and gave Suter the playing time he did, maybe someone who knows more about hockey than we do has a different opinion.......and may be right............NAH!

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Hey, some of us are tired of, or at least recognize the tendency for this board and some media to pick a scapegoat every year and demand they be dumped, with Guri, Faksa, Klinger, Suter and a few others earning(?) our wrath for an entire year, sometimes for one bad play or pretty vague reasons. If you believe PDB knows what he is doing as a respected NHL coach, and gave Suter the playing time he did, maybe someone who knows more about hockey than we do has a different opinion.......and may be right............NAH!
What media? No one is talking about the Dallas Stars. Half the guys you listed have been dumped. If your best argument is appeal to authority, the authority that decided to insult rather than explain, maybe the position isn't sound.

Reactions: piqued

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

3 years...

Toronto does have access to film right? I mean they're not in the dark ages. How, why would any team that presumably can view actual game footage and advanced stats take a look at Reaves and say yes we obviously need to pay a premium for this.

Suter is terrible and I like everyone else wanted him bought out but this makes his deal look actually good. WTF Toronto. This is what you change?

Reactions: Magic Mittens

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
What media? No one is talking about the Dallas Stars. Half the guys you listed have been dumped. If your best argument is appeal to authority, the authority that decided to insult rather than explain, maybe the position isn't sound.

He should have said:

we spent $14.3M on our top two defenseman who had worse overall stats for the playoffs, especially vs Vegas. Just awful from Miro and Lindell. Our goalie had a very bad series with a sub .88 and 3.5+ gaa, the entire offense outside of the top like disappeared (Suter outscored Seguin, Marchment, Johnston, and Benn combined). Targeting a guy who has a reasonable contract who was far from the main problem does nobody any good. Either zip it or at least focus on the bigger issues - issues we believe wont be a factor next year (bad miro, bad lindel, bad otter, bad middle 6)

That work?

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Reaves must just watch the playoffs to see which team gets pushed around the most and start checking out real estate in that area.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Reaves must just watch the playoffs to see which team gets pushed around the most and start checking out real estate in that area.

Yeah problem is he's a liability in the playoffs himself . Stars played his teams in the playoffs often enough now for us to know that.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Yeah problem is he's a liability in the playoffs himself . Stars played his teams in the playoffs often enough now for us to know that.
100% agree. I don’t think he is good enough to be playing in the league but some GMs think his intimidation factor has value. But a multi year contract is truly laughable.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
100% agree. I don’t think he is good enough to be playing in the league but some GMs think his intimidation factor has value. But a multi year contract is truly laughable.

3 years at almost double league min for soon 37 year old Ryan Reaves makes absolutely no sense. None

Reactions: Kipper 17

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think Suter isn't very good, but he's also not the main problem. Hakanpaa and Miller are bad. Hanley is a warm body. Lundkvist has to prove he deserves to remain an NHLer. Lindell has begun the usual age curve decline but is still fine even if his game with the puck in his own end has turned into Ludwig's.

We saw DeBoer elevate Suter in the playoffs because it's not like he had much choice. Who else should have had those minutes?

Getting rid of Suter won't make the other guys better. It also doesn't even free up that much space.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I think Suter isn't very good, but he's also not the main problem. Hakanpaa and Miller are bad. Hanley is a warm body. Lundkvist has to prove he deserves to remain an NHLer. Lindell has begun the usual age curve decline but is still fine even if his game with the puck in his own end has turned into Ludwig's.

We saw DeBoer elevate Suter in the playoffs because it's not like he had much choice. Who else should have had those minutes?

Getting rid of Suter won't make the other guys better. It also doesn't even free up that much space.
Yup. Suter isn’t a big problem. The lack of another defensemen that is better than Suter on the roster is the problem. He needs to be further down the depth chart.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Yup. Suter isn’t a big problem. The lack of another defensemen that is better than Suter on the roster is the problem. He needs to be further down the depth chart.
If they choose to attack the problem that way I have no problem with it. The issue is I doubt they will.

Great day for Twitter to go down. Shoutout Elon.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
If they choose to attack the problem that way I have no problem with it. The issue is I doubt they will.

Great day for Twitter to go down. Shoutout Elon.
I hope the tweet where they said they “need” a defensemen is how they really feel. Just hope they mean an impact defensemen. Not 3rd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad