Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Pt VIII: Spring approaches and less (fewer) things are happening

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If you were one of the best in the world at your job and you were offered a position where they were going to pay you 2% of your actual value for the first three years and then gradually start to pay you a bit more and that you wouldn't be paid your actual worth until you had been there at least 6 years and you couldn't go look for a job elsewhere because it was the only company like it... do you think that would be fair?

It would never happen its a hypothetical based on whats happen to Tatis!!!

No organization pays you in such a way.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
That's exactly the point. That's literally how MLB players are paid.

You do understand that these players that make it past the minor leagues do end up making more then any of us would at any given time in our lifetime!

Its a choice that these players like in all sports have put their careers and lives in that of sports. I dont have any sympathy for any of them. Making a signing bonus when they are first drafted or signed as an International free agent they are already making more then any of us would straight out of school. Tack on the fact that at average they are making like a minimum wage worker to play a game they love. I dont have an issue with that. Too bad too sad.

The average salary in the MLB is 3.8 million. So Im sorry I dont have issues with players being owned and groomed to one day being able to own a salary in the average of 3.8 million a year. Organizations are using their resources to groom their players. Again, its choice players make. Its a lottery ticket and they are betting on themselves.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Well looks like the Jays are gonna roll with what they got. Which is fine. Was a fantastic offseason from Shapkins. Some really nice additions. Next offseason will be even better. It's all about building up to 2022 and beyond. Jays should be back hopefully in Toronto by 2022, and ready to contend. This season Jays will be solid and continuing to build towards 2022. Playoffs will be a battle to make this season depending how many teams they let in. I think Jays will have an internal starting pitching option "WOW" them out of the gates that grabs one of the starting roles.

Reactions: canucksfan

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
You do understand that these players that make it past the minor leagues do end up making more then any of us would at any given time in our lifetime!

Its a choice that these players like in all sports have put their careers and lives in that of sports. I dont have any sympathy for any of them. Making a signing bonus when they are first drafted or signed as an International free agent they are already making more then any of us would straight out of school. Tack on the fact that at average they are making like a minimum wage worker to play a game they love. I dont have an issue with that. Too bad too sad.

The average salary in the MLB is 3.8 million. So Im sorry I dont have issues with players being owned and groomed to one day being able to own a salary in the average of 3.8 million a year. Organizations are using their resources to groom their players. Again, its choice players make. Its a lottery ticket and they are betting on themselves.

For someone who thinks "too bad too sad" when players don't make it and that becoming a professional baseball player is "a lottery ticket", you sure seem to have a lot of resentment for a guy who had a winning ticket.

Right now, owners pocket millions and millions of dollars every year. More of that money going to the players, particularly the elite ones like Tatis who drive revenue, is a good thing.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Well looks like the Jays are gonna roll with what they got. Which is fine. Was a fantastic offseason from Shapkins. Some really nice additions. Next offseason will be even better. It's all about building up to 2022 and beyond. Jays should be back hopefully in Toronto by 2022, and ready to contend. This season Jays will be solid and continuing to build towards 2022. Playoffs will be a battle to make this season depending how many teams they let in. I think Jays will have an internal starting pitching option "WOW" them out of the gates that grabs one of the starting roles.

I still think Walker will be resigned.

Reactions: Anthrax442

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
For someone who thinks "too bad too sad" when players don't make it and that becoming a professional baseball player is "a lottery ticket", you sure seem to have a lot of resentment for a guy who had a winning ticket.

Right now, owners pocket millions and millions of dollars every year. More of that money going to the players, particularly the elite ones like Tatis who drive revenue, is a good thing.

Not when the player has proven nothing. Again I am perfectly fine with players in the game, in all sports getting paid. Your right they deserve to be. But I dont think players at that young age, proven nothing, not taken their knocks, is worth that type of dough. Regardless of what they are projected to be.

Im ok with players like Lindor, Trout, Judge, Cole, Springer, Strasburg, Betts, etc... getting paid. I just think its irresponsible to pay a player after 143 games that type of money. It's a risk and its something that I believe will ruin the game. No human is worth 340 million to play a game. But if there are players that should get paid its those that I mentioned. Players that have proven and contributed to the health of the game for more then 143 games!!!

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
If you want to pay players for what they will produce versus what they have produced, then it makes sense to pay them when they are younger before they reach their producing potential.

Lost in this is really the direction that the player's union seeks to go.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not when the player has proven nothing. Again I am perfectly fine with players in the game, in all sports getting paid. Your right they deserve to be. But I dont think players at that young age, proven nothing, not taken their knocks, is worth that type of dough. Regardless of what they are projected to be.

Im ok with players like Lindor, Trout, Judge, Cole, Springer, Strasburg, Betts, etc... getting paid. I just think its irresponsible to pay a player after 143 games that type of money. It's a risk and its something that I believe will ruin the game. No human is worth 340 million to play a game. But if there are players that should get paid its those that I mentioned. Players that have proven and contributed to the health of the game for more then 143 games!!!

Tatis is an elite young player. Him getting paid like an elite young player is a good thing for the game.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Random and not useful to anyone here but...isn't it wild that Boston lost both Betts and Brady last year, and both were MVP calibre and won championships?

I was hungry earlier today and that was a delicious thought to snack on.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Around 49 minutes
Plouffe confirms that Donaldson would walk around saying "Billy Boy" had to pay him, would point to him after hitting home runs, and would joke that his demands were going up after big games. Billy Beane did not like this and that's how we ended up with an MVP.

Money Ball 2: Billy Boy strikes back

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Random and not useful to anyone here but...isn't it wild that Boston lost both Betts and Brady last year, and both were MVP calibre and won championships?

I was hunger earlier today and that was a delicious thought to snack on.

Lost another Boston great, Zdeno Chara. Caps Stanley Cup is coming.

Gordon Hayward as well, Bobcats sharpening their claws.

Reactions: Critical91

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

dero_1.jpg

Reactions: Critical91

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ben Nicholson-Smith says he expects the Jays to play in Dunedin from now until May 4th and likely will move up to Buffalo for the rest of May and June and play the rest of the season by ear. They are hoping to play in Toronto at some point, possibly June or July at the earliest.

Toronto doesnt want to play in Buffalo but due to the Florida heat they have no other choice as the summer progresses.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
San Diego will come to regret this deal in a short 2-3 years. You dont hand a player that type of deal after 143 games. That is barely one season and we have seen plenty of players burst onto the scene only for the rest of the league to figure him out and he becomes a liability to the team.

Time will tell and I really hope I am wrong. But history has proven that players due tend to level off over the course of their career when teams figure them out. Kris Bryant is a prime example. Alex Rios closer to home is another. Jose Cruz Jr. is another people will remember. All players that burst onto the scene in their first season only to come down to earth later.

Handing him a 14 year commitment is plain stupid. That is my opinion.

If the Jays were to hand Guerrero Jr. a 10/12-year deal now, despite not living up to the hype during his first two seasons, I don't think I'd really find a way to be too upset about it. Actually refreshing to see teams/owners lock in their franchise player for what should be the majority, if not their entire, career.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
If the Jays were to hand Guerrero Jr. a 10/12-year deal now, despite not living up to the hype during his first two seasons, I don't think I'd really find a way to be too upset about it. Actually refreshing to see teams/owners lock in their franchise player for what should be the majority, if not their entire, career.

I guess, but why do you want to handcuff yourself to so much uncertainty? If you do that with Vlad Jr, don't you think Bo would be insulted if he doesnt get something similar?

Having anyone tied to something that long..its scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad