GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Ideal world: You keep the team together, because it's obvious there is chemistry there and these guys are winners.

Real world: Gonna be some new faces next season. Contract negotiations are tough, and honestly, these guys deserve to get paid what they deserve when they can get paid what they deserve.

I wasn't joking when I said Zito should open the negotiations with Reinhart by asking if he'll consider the fact that we're short $500k in cap for bringing in Okposo to win a Cup. :laugh:

I have tried to assemble this many times and can't find way to keep the team together, too many UFAs

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
You must all be drunk from sipping out of the Cup. Ek was great this playoffs outside of a few games. He gave up a breakaway on the tying goal, but played great shutdown defense the rest of the game. He loves it here and he'll take somewhere around 5M on his next deal. He's not stupid, Forsling is making 5.75...
Or he’s like a bubble stock and Zito could cash in big time by selling high. “Stanley Cup Pedigree” sounds good somewhere like Calgary or Toronto…

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
You must all be drunk from sipping out of the Cup. Ek was great this playoffs outside of a few games. He gave up a breakaway on the tying goal, but played great shutdown defense the rest of the game. He loves it here and he'll take somewhere around 5M on his next deal. He's not stupid, Forsling is making 5.75...
I don't know. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great either. There were at least half a dozen times this playoffs where I unconsciously said out loud to myself, "My god, he's so slow," after watching him in a footrace or chasing down a puck. More than once a winger got behind him with speed and led to a high danger chance. That's not going to get better with age.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
You can either look into trading a guy and bringing back Reino or letting him walk and sign depth guys. No space for both sadly.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I had some hope we could move Bob if we won the cup, then go with Knight/Stolarz for a couple seasons so we can have some more cap room to maneuver, but with the goalie moves recently, not sure that option is available anymore. Was thinking NJD could work as a potential contender with good location and cap space, but then they got Markstrom.

There are teams with cap available, but not a contender that I can see wanting to take on that contract without much/any retention and a team Bob is willing to go to for his last years.

One option maaaybe. Swap Elvis with Bob, and we buyout Elvis. Bob gets to finish his Columbus story? I dunno.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

A 2M pay cut? I don't see that happening. He's going to want a raise.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Bjornfot will turn into another gem by Zito.
Or he’s like a bubble stock and Zito could cash in big time by selling high. “Stanley Cup Pedigree” sounds good somewhere like Calgary or Toronto…
I think the SC pedigree is going to make a lot of these guys be in high demand. I was thinking Ek to Detroit months ago and still see that as a possibility, especially now that they moved Walman. Whoever Zito is planning to move, now is a good time.

Reactions: KW

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It is kind of wild that some players will be on different teams when they have the cup for the day.

Hoping Reinhart will celebrate in BC so I get to see it! But he might be on a different team by then so it could be awkward showing up in my Panthers attire. lol

Wish there was some way to know when they'll be bringing the cup around, would be awesome to attend

Any thoughts on Lundell contract? I originally was thinking $3-3.5M bridge, but he's had two good playoffs now, which I think could bump him up to $4-4.5M territory.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Wish there was some way to know when they'll be bringing the cup around, would be awesome to attend

Any thoughts on Lundell contract? I originally was thinking $3-3.5M bridge, but he's had two good playoffs now, which I think could bump him up to $4-4.5M territory.

Yeah he finished with 17 points and has been very good for 2 playoff runs. But regular season has been underwhelming. I could see a bridge of around $4-4.5M territory.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Reino, Montour, Oel, Tarasenko, Kulikov, Stenlund, Lomberg, Cousins, Lorentz, Okposo, Stolarz are all UFAs.

Lundell will be an RFA and get a significant pay raise.

Reinhart, Lomberg, Stenlund, and Cousins are all guys I would place on the 'sign if demands are reasonable and can work within the cap structure' list, easy. All provided excellent value in their own ways. Cousins is probably the least important guy on that list, though.

Kulikov gets a special place as the 'you know we can make it work, so make it work' guy. Short deal at low AAV should be doable.

Big Tony Stolarz had the best rate statistics of any goalie in the NHL who qualified for 'em this season. He was a phenomenal backup, and played a big part in this Stanley Cup run. Home Ice advantage really, really mattered against Edmonton. My guess is that he will get a MUCH DESERVED starting opportunity somewhere, and I wish him all the best.

I don't see the team keeping both OEL and Montour. They fill similar roles, and both have age/injury concerns. Montour being RHD probably helps his case here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both on new teams next year.

Okposo and Tarasenko are both guys who look like they could have one more year in the tank, but are both clearly hitting stages of their careers where the decline will be rapid. If they're willing to sign one year deals at wholesale prices, then yeah, sure.

Personally, I've seen enough of Lundell -- especially his playoff performance -- that I'd be comfortable offering him a max term contract to lock him up now at what looks like bargain value. I'm pretty confident this guy isn't Mike Matheson, and I think we've seen the floor for his offensive production. I think getting a good deal done with Lundell is the biggest priority on this list.

My guess is that out of the group above, Stenlund, Stolarz, Montour, OEL, Cousins and Okposo won't be in the lineup next year. I think they find a way to make it work with Reinhart. Just a gut feeling.

Of the players not on this list, I think Ekblad and Bobrovsky seem like prime candidates for Zito to do Zito things. But also, Zito things include surprising me, so we'll see.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Reinhart, Lomberg, Stenlund, and Cousins are all guys I would place on the 'sign if demands are reasonable and can work within the cap structure' list, easy. All provided excellent value in their own ways. Cousins is probably the least important guy on that list, though.

Kulikov gets a special place as the 'you know we can make it work, so make it work' guy. Short deal at low AAV should be doable.

Big Tony Stolarz had the best rate statistics of any goalie in the NHL who qualified for 'em this season. He was a phenomenal backup, and played a big part in this Stanley Cup run. Home Ice advantage really, really mattered against Edmonton. My guess is that he will get a MUCH DESERVED starting opportunity somewhere, and I wish him all the best.

I don't see the team keeping both OEL and Montour. They fill similar roles, and both have age/injury concerns. Montour being RHD probably helps his case here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see both on new teams next year.

Okposo and Tarasenko are both guys who look like they could have one more year in the tank, but are both clearly hitting stages of their careers where the decline will be rapid. If they're willing to sign one year deals at wholesale prices, then yeah, sure.

Personally, I've seen enough of Lundell -- especially his playoff performance -- that I'd be comfortable offering him a max term contract to lock him up now at what looks like bargain value. I'm pretty confident this guy isn't Mike Matheson, and I think we've seen the floor for his offensive production. I think getting a good deal done with Lundell is the biggest priority on this list.

My guess is that out of the group above, Stenlund, Stolarz, Montour, OEL, Cousins and Okposo won't be in the lineup next year. I think they find a way to make it work with Reinhart. Just a gut feeling.

Of the players not on this list, I think Ekblad and Bobrovsky seem like prime candidates for Zito to do Zito things. But also, Zito things include surprising me, so we'll see.

Yeah it seems down to Ekblad or Bob. Both are good players, but getting paid more than they bring in value. Keeping both Ekblad/Bob is doable, but it'll leave us with really shallow depth.

My preference if we could swing it would be to trade Bob, so we have more dollars available and go with Knight/Stolarz. Just not sure we'll be able to do that, especially in the short window before free agency. Trading Ekblad easier, but leaves us not that much better off next year given need for replacement (Pesce/Roy could be replacements, my guess $6-7M AAV range). I think it'll depend on return from Ekblad. Wonder if we trade Ekblad and he comes back the next year. Unlikely but possible.

I'll trust Zito to make the right call on this. Can't wait to see how it'll play out.

Reactions: I am not exposed

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but I think if you can move Ekblad with 0% retained just to dump the salary, you do it. He's declining very rapidly and the injuries just keep mounting for him. It sucks, and I hate it, but I try to be realistic about this stuff. It isn't going to get better.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
We have to keep Sam all other free agents are expendable. Now that the Panthers are at the upper echolon of hockey. I’m Sure Zito is in touch with the best talent available looking for a little less to win. We have already seen that with a jem like Rodriguez.

Reactions: iam76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad