LeBrun: Askarov available

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Preds have a good eye for goalies, and it's not like Saros came out of nowhere after the Askarov draft, so if they're choosing to move on they must see something they don't like.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. You draft a guy like him to keep your system stocked because you never know where things with Saros would end up. But reports are Saros is signing a long term deal, so if you can get good value for Askarov there’s no point in keeping him now if you’re not going to give him enough NHL time to develop.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds have a good eye for goalies, and it's not like Saros came out of nowhere after the Askarov draft, so if they're choosing to move on they must see something they don't like.
Well everybody sees things they don't like about Askarov. He's a highly unorthodox goaltender and is still working out some kinks in his game. Two years ago he couldn't catch pucks and held his arms in the wrong place, he still doesn't track his posts or square up properly to shooters. Technically, he has been a bit of a mess. But he got better this past season, and the Preds brought Mitch Korn back as one of the premier goalie coaches in the league, so I think it's more likely that they LIKE the raw potential, have been encouraged by the progress so far, but recognize that they still have lots of work to do.

The enticing thing about Askarov is that despite his technical flaws, he still overall gets the job done and stops pucks. But imagine if he learned to play the position better on top of what he can already do?

Reactions: Armourboy and Kurtz

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Title should say that it’s an editorial not a rumour. Journalism used to have meaning now it is a bunch of hacks trying to get clicks. Horrible.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Title should say that it’s an editorial not a rumour. Journalism used to have meaning now it is a bunch of hacks trying to get clicks. Horrible.

There always have been editorials, nothing has changed in journalism. What HAS changed is the internet allowing anyone to become a "citizen journalist", or what ever the hell the nutters call themselves.

There used to be standards but now anyone can post something and it becomes viral and "fact" within two hours.

The internet has ruined everything. (says the guy on the internet)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They aren't choosing to move on from him, you just gotta understand the mindset of first Poile and then Trotz to understand why.

For both of them the goalie position has always been one of the most important on the ice. They have always valued them highly. Where Trotz is blind is that because he does he thinks everyone else should too. Essentially he doesn't understand he is the exception, not the rule.

So what you are seeing is him saying he is willing to trade him if he can get what he wants, just like he did with Saros.

Askarov isn't going anywhere unless someone makes a good offer or demands a starting spot. Apparently asking for a regular NHL spot in negotiations will set Trotz off quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: WildWolfdog

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
They aren't choosing to move on from him, you just gotta understand the mindset of first Poile and then Trotz to understand why.

For both of them the goalie position has always been one of the most important on the ice. They have always valued them highly. Where Trotz is blind is that because he does he thinks everyone else should too. Essentially he doesn't understand he is the exception, not the rule.

So what you are seeing is him saying he is willing to trade him if he can get what he wants, just like he did with Saros.

Askarov isn't going anywhere unless someone makes a good offer or demands a starting spot. Apparently asking for a regular NHL spot in negotiations will set Teotz off quickly.
The more I think about it, the more I don’t wanna trade askarov. But he needs to be backing up saros this year. I would do a 57/25 split this year and next year I would give him a 3 year bridge contract for 2.5-3 million and I would start giving him a 50/32 game split for 3 years and run a saros/askarov tandem for 4 years. After that who knows

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland

This is brutal. Trotz is on glue. Resign the old shrimp for awful contract and trade the future star… SMH
Saros is the furure star for 10 years or so.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Heard a crazy one tonight.

Askarov and Tomasino to Detroit
ASP and Cossa/Augustine to Nashville

It’s about as value oriented as you’ll get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad