GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
As a big time Florida fan outside of my main team, I don't get the argument for keeping him at all.

Lundell, Luostrainen should be the future 2 / 3 punch.

Bennett has one year left on his deal and then is likely getting incredibly overpaid and has already had major injury history.

Lundell and Luostarinen are really good but they don't bring what Bennett brings, nobody really does. Zito can negotiate after July 1 with Benny and if he wants something ridiculous then it's a judgement call to either keep him for another run and let him walk or trade him. Depending totally on what kind of assets would be coming back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lundell and Luostarinen are really good but they don't bring what Bennett brings, nobody really does. Zito can negotiate after July 1 with Benny and if he wants something ridiculous then it's a judgement call to either keep him for another run and let him walk or trade him. Depending totally on what kind of assets would be coming back.

I've been a fan of Sam Bennett since before his draft year. At one point I advocated for the Penguins to trade Jake Guentzel for him after the 2017 cup win.

I love the player, but he makes absolutely no sense for Florida to re-sign.

you all think they trade Ekblad before the season or just let him play out contract and not sign him? Or offer him something super low. Wonder his value as is right now.

If Zito has a brain he cashes in. Ekblad was horrid this entire playoffs.

Reactions: danktopshelf

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I've been a fan of Sam Bennett since before his draft year. At one point I advocated for the Penguins to trade Jake Guentzel for him after the 2017 cup win.

If Zito has a brain he cashes in. Ekblad was horrid this entire playoffs.

well, Zito has a brain, I guarantee that. Whatever Zito decides I fully trust his decision. Just more curious what a return for Ekblad would look like. I do think a team would overpay for him.

Reactions: MaWa and Chaos2k7

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

This team is in an all-in mode right now. Having Bennett for another year on the cheap is great, even if he ends up walking in the end. Futures are not important at this moment and they are going to be sacrificed heavily for the next five years at least.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This team is in an all-in mode right now. Having Bennett for another year on the cheap is great, even if he ends up walking in the end. Futures are not important at this moment and they are going to be sacrificed heavily for the next five years at least.

The great thing about Zito is he hasn't really focused on being in "all-in mode" in terms of being attached to the roster.

If he does become that Florida's window will slam shut. Verhaeghe and Reinhart are much more pivotal to the Cats forward success than Bennett. You can have Tkachuk carrying that 2nd line with Rodrigues and Lundell over Bennett.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
As much as I hate to say it, I think Ekblad's gone if the team can find a partner. The accumulated injuries are just too much. You can't risk re-signing that guy with his legs, and if you can't/won't re-sign him, you're probably going to move him.

I think Montour is another guy that should probably be allowed to walk, unless he's willing to take a super team friendly deal like Forsling.

I have no idea what the market will be for OEL, but I suspect that winning the Cup will inflate it nicely.

So, I think this team is likely going to be in the market for three new D. Is Balinskis ready? He looked good, but we'll see.
The question is, what do you get back for Ekblad? The rest of the league would be blind not to see the same things we see, aka his speed and the injury concerns.
If the return is good, sure, makes sense to move him. If it’s meh, I'd say treat him as an internal rental and see where we're at in a year, even with the possibility of losing him for nothing.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The question is, what do you get back for Ekblad? The rest of the league would be blind not to see the same things we see, aka his speed and the injury concerns.
If the return is good, sure, makes sense to move him. If it’s meh, I'd say treat him as an internal rental and see where we're at in a year, even with the possibility of losing him for nothing.

We are spoiled because we have a good GM now. The Oilers -- the freaking WC champions -- gave Darnell Nurse $9m annually. They can find a taker for Ekblad if they want to move him.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
i though ekblad look much better skating the last couple of games. remember, this guy could skate with kane when he was younger.

could be wrong but i don't think Z trades him. i think he can still contribute in a lesser role for a few more years (vs easier matchups that allow him to contribute offense) and i don't think he'll play much longer than that. i can imagine him signing a very team-friendly deal. we know he loves it down there.

that said, i think we were exposed a bit in the last two rounds and need a little more speed with gus in order to play our style for 60 minutes through 2 months of the postseason against the fastest teams. i think (hope) there may be some bargains out there who could thrive next to gus.

and no way is bob going anywhere. that'd be terrible.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
i though ekblad look much better skating the last couple of games. remember, this guy could skate with kane when he was younger.

could be wrong but i don't think Z trades him. i think he can still contribute in a lesser role for a few more years (vs easier matchups that allow him to contribute offense) and i don't think he'll play much longer than that. i can imagine him signing a very team-friendly deal. we know he loves it down there.

that said, i think we were exposed a bit in the last two rounds and need a little more speed with gus in order to play our style for 60 minutes through 2 months of the postseason against the fastest teams. i think (hope) there may be some bargains out there who could thrive next to gus.

and no way is bob going anywhere. that'd be terrible.
If you aren't trading Ekblad and you aren't trading Bob then you are not bringing back Reino which I think is a bad idea assuming his ask is reasonable. ATM the Panthers have 69 million allotted to 14 guys (Lundell RFA) and that includes Bjornfot and Balinskis who are probably not regular dmen next year. So excluding them, 21 million for 12 guys. If Reino wants 8.5 and Lundell's extension is 3.5, that leaves 9 million to bring in 3 dmen and 6 forwards, it's not really feasible. Moving Ekblad buys you a year but Bob probably still has to go next off-season.

Tl;dr

I don't see how Ekblad is a Panther next year

Reactions: behemolari

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
For the goalies, I think the plan will be the same it was last year. Bring in a backup with upside that will be the third if Knight plays well, might even be Drieger once again lmao. That was the plan with Storlaz and it'll be the plan next year imo.
Although, Zito is quite aggressive and if he believes there will be an Ullmark/Markstrom type deal ready to be had next offseason for our 2026 1st, then it gives us some needed room.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Panthers need to trade Sam Bennett, Knight, and Ekblad this offseason.

They could get a haul for Ekblad and Benentt...

Some team probably pays a 2nd for Knight.

Take those assets and rebuild the group.
Yes on Ekblad.

Big no on Benny or Knight. Benny is an identity player for this team, lock on the 2nd line C spot and plays his heart out come playoffs.

Knight will be the goaltender of the future. As good as Bob has been these past 2 years, he is getting up there in age and this is Knight's net for the future. Can we find another Goaltending gem to replace him if traded? won't put it past Zito, but you can only have success so many times in that position. (Driedger, Lyon and Stolarz). I would like to see if Knight can take the spot.

Reactions: PSLguy

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
For the goalies, I think the plan will be the same it was last year. Bring in a backup with upside that will be the third if Knight plays well, might even be Drieger once again lmao. That was the plan with Storlaz and it'll be the plan next year imo.
Although, Zito is quite aggressive and if he believes there will be an Ullmark/Markstrom type deal ready to be had next offseason for our 2026 1st, then it gives us some needed room.

Bob retires after back-to-back cups, and we give his contract to Igor. Save that 2026 first lol.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yes on Ekblad.

Big no on Benny or Knight. Benny is an identity player for this team, lock on the 2nd line C spot and plays his heart out come playoffs.

Knight will be the goaltender of the future. As good as Bob has been these past 2 years, he is getting up there in age and this is Knight's net for the future. Can we find another Goaltending gem to replace him if traded? won't put it past Zito, but you can only have success so many times in that position. (Driedger, Lyon and Stolarz). I would like to see if Knight can take the spot.
Yeah, I mean, unless you're convinced Knight is not a future starter, trading him is a bad idea even if it saves some money now. Bob won't be here forever and you really don't want to be one of the teams who spend years trying to find a n.1.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
I don't think the transition from Bob to (Knight??) or anyone else would be as easy as some think. Bob had a great year and was a big part of this + moving $10 mil a year (say we retain some even) for a goalie entering late 30s is not an easy sell to any team in the league.

Edit: I'd also like to say our D-core could be in shambles if things go poorly in free agency / on the acquisition front. However, we seem to have a D - clinic here.

Last edited:

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Luostar seems to be a full time winger now. I would keep him there at the left wing.

Bennett isn't a great offensive player nor defensive stalwart, but the energy and tenacity he brings is something that is a big part of this teams identity.
He's solid in all 3 zones, can lay the wood, can forecheck, etc,..

There's a limit on how much you pay him, factoring in injuries, but he's someone I hope that can be extended 3-4 years.

305Pantera

Jun 10, 2010
Miami, Florida
Hoping we can keep Stenny! He was a great PK man and was great for us in the FO circle.

Bennett is a personal favorite, so really hoping he sticks around a while as well.

Carter, man I was very down on him, but last night he got back to his game and was HUSTLING, noticeable difference from games 5 and 6. He's quickly become a cats legend, hoping we can keep him around on a reasonable deal as well.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I think Ekblad stays and signs an extension at maybe $5M eventually. Maurice made a comment last night about Ekblad changing his game to adjust to injuries which affected his offense, but him not thinking about the money as much. Ekblad isn't stupid and rest of the league isn't blind. He's not a $7.5M player anymore, but he'll be useful maybe in the middle pair. He was still serviceable against the best and fastest player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad