GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
He plays like a $3mil bottom pairing dman so even at 5mil he's severely overpaid. At 3mil I'd welcome that beautiful chubby bastard back but no, he's going to want more money with that Cup ring.

We'll see. I think he loves it too much in Florida. He's got his money and his cup. $5M is the new $3M with the rising cap.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Yes on Ekblad.

Big no on Benny or Knight. Benny is an identity player for this team, lock on the 2nd line C spot and plays his heart out come playoffs.

Knight will be the goaltender of the future. As good as Bob has been these past 2 years, he is getting up there in age and this is Knight's net for the future. Can we find another Goaltending gem to replace him if traded? won't put it past Zito, but you can only have success so many times in that position. (Driedger, Lyon and Stolarz). I would like to see if Knight can take the spot.

I think that Zito will double down on his strategy what earned the Panthers their first Cup: being a great forechecking 2way team which has scumbags all over the lineup. Thus Benny staying is a no-brainer.

Yup, Knight is their future starting goalie.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I think Ekblad stays and signs an extension at maybe $5M eventually. Maurice made a comment last night about Ekblad changing his game to adjust to injuries which affected his offense, but him not thinking about the money as much. Ekblad isn't stupid and rest of the league isn't blind. He's not a $7.5M player anymore, but he'll be useful maybe in the middle pair. He was still serviceable against the best and fastest player in the league.

just saw that comment and came here to post about it. it's remarkable that, aside from one mistake last night, he was part of a defensive group that shut-down the best offensive group on the planet. he looked good last night.

he could probably produce reliably if not at a superstar level vs easier match ups and i think you may be hard-pressed to find a better value on the 2nd pair if he takes a deal like 4x4.5 or something like that and retires at the end or maybe early.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
We'll see. I think he loves it too much in Florida. He's got his money and his cup. $5M is the new $3M with the rising cap.

If Huby got ushered out of the Panthers org, I don't see how Ekblad is any different from value perspective.

Love the chubby bastard tho.

Welcome back!

IMG_1004.jpeg

I fainted

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If Huby got ushered out of the Panthers org, I don't see how Ekblad is any different from value perspective.

View attachment 887188

I fainted

Ekblad's a warrior, completely different. Plus we need somebody to play RD...

Ekblad on a $4-5M contract is good value and wouldn't hurt us much even if he ends up only worth $3M.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Ekblad's a warrior, completely different. Plus we need somebody to play RD...

Ekblad on a $4-5M contract is good value and wouldn't hurt us much even if he ends up only worth $3M.

The notion of Ekky being a warrior stems out of the fact that most of the time he injured in various degrees of severity. Plus he needs a top tier dman on his side to make him look half decent. imo Ekky gets traded or walks to the FA in the next season.

Reactions: Clint

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

View attachment 887188

I fainted
Huberdeau was looking at a crazy extension after putting up a monster season that got him into Hart conversation, plus there were some questions about his compete level and his flexibility as a player. He was also a key part in the Tkachuk trade; not like we dumped him to just get rid of him.
Not exactly comparable.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Huberdeau was looking at a crazy extension after putting up a monster season that got him into Hart conversation, plus there were some questions about his compete level and his flexibility as a player. He was also a key part in the Tkachuk trade; not like we dumped him to just get rid of him.
Not exactly comparable.

ofc Huby was looking to receive huge contract extension but that also applies to Ekblad because he's going to get crazy money (relatively speaking) in free agency even though he's a fringe top4 dman who can't skate.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
heres what i would like to do..

Sign

Lomberg
Stenlund
Rhino
bridge Lundell
See if OEL wants to stay for under 3 mil.
See if Kuli will sign a sweetheart deal.
See of Vladi would sign a for 1 year. 3 mill?
Sign Lorentz
offer min mahura.

Let montour walk.
Let Cousins walk
Let Stolarz walk
Explore a bob trade...

what i think actually happens

Stenlund gets signed somewhere like boston/toronto/washington
rhino signs with us 9.5 mil
bridge lundell
Lomberg signs with us or Rangers...
Montour - signs toronto/or another Canadian market.
OEL takes the payout from toronto if they miss on montour
vladdy gets paid elsware
mahura bridged
Stolarz signs with Utah or some place like colorado
Bob stays
ekblad stays
benny stays - possibly extended

We take a serious look at Chandler Stephenson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad