GDT: Off-season/July 1st Free Agent frenzy thread-Is Joey Crabb still available?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Fully expect Balinskis to be one of them

Balinskis is a lefty though.

I don’t disagree but if we lose both of them we have zero right handed defensemen. Idk who we can feasibly bring in to help cover that

Like JLD said, could see a Roy/Hakanpaa on the right side, use Fors as our puck mover. Maaaybe could see bringing back OEL if the contract works.

Reactions: barkovcanfinnish

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Balinskis is a lefty though.

Like JLD said, could see a Roy/Hakanpaa on the right side, use Fors as our puck mover. Maaaybe could see bringing back OEL if the contract works.
Pretty sure he played on the right with OEL, no? Subbed in and out with Kulikov early.

Also have Mahura in the wings but he is for sure a LHD.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
If you assume 9 million for Reino, 1.5 for Kuli, and then 3.5 bridge for Lundell? Panthers would look like:

Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
E-Rod-Bennett-Tkachuk
Luo-Lundell-XXXX
no 4th line

Forsling-Ekblad
Mikkola-Kulikov
Balinskis-Bjornfot

Bob
Knight

That would leave 5.5 million for a 3rd line winger and an entire 4 line. With such low cap they'd have to be minimum guys. It's doable but like this lineup is bad lol. Kuli on the 2nd pair in the year of our lord 2025. Balinskis and Bjornfot regulars? Ekblad playing 1st pair isn't ideal but if you trade him it leaves another hole to fill in the defense, which is why to me Bob still makes the most sense. You could also move Knight but the return would be bad. I understand the people who want to keep Ek and Bob but you look at that roster I just posted and you can pick any 3rd line wing and 4th liners you want, that's a max 2nd round team. Top 6 still great but that defense won't get it done.
Just to bump this, I don't think many people have actually looked at the projected roster lol, it's bad. Trading Ekblad, you could bring in a 4 million dollar guy and use that 3.5 million in savings to add another 3rd pair guy and shore up the bottom 6 forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Man

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Pretty sure he played on the right with OEL, no? Subbed in and out with Kulikov early.

Also have Mahura in the wings but he is for sure a LHD.

Vaguely remember something like that and him acquitting himself well, but its still not ideal to have no righties at all. I think he'll play though, or at least be on the roster to start.

Fors/Roy
Mikkola/Hakanpaa
Balinskis/Kulikov
Bjornfot, Mahura extras

Not ideal, but unless we're also trading Bob, we don't have much room to work with. Maybe instead of Hakanpaa bring in a puck mover guy like Carrier (may be too expensive, someone suggested earlier, think he's too small, but he defends) or Barrie (also small, but could QB PP).

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
I imagine Gadjovich gets much more time on the 4th line.

Our top-9 is still together pretty much in this scenario which is really good. If Mackie is ready he can take that 3rd line spot.

ATM I’m not really concerned with our forwards or goalie tandem going into next year. It’s our defense and overall depth that might take a hit. Really anxious to see how the contracts play out

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
It's a damn shame the business of hockey sucks.

I've been sitting on this one since I didnt want to Jinx anything.

Did you know that since Tkachuk arrived the Panthers have not lost a series when they have a complete team and everyone was able to play?

Sucks when you realize that.

Goldie ? You been that frog all along ?

Tell me about our other streaks pleaseeeeeee…

• Haha
Reactions: I am not exposed

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't think Reinhart is worth 9 mil tbh. Yeah he's great defensively, but he's also a career 60-70 point player. I say this as someone that's been pretty high on Reinhart, especially regarding how his game will age. That being said, I don't expect to extend him anything under 9 mil given his career year (and I won't be upset when it happens)

Also, dunno if this is the popular opinion but, has anyone been underwhelmed by Reinhart in the POs?

I mean, besides the fact he scores at a 49 point pace in the playoffs.. he's just not that visible to me. He's always been a player that gets by with his smarts so you'll seldom see him outrace or muscle someone, but even so he doesn't really generate offense regularly, there were long stretches where I didn't notice him in these POs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think Reinhart is worth 9 mil tbh. Yeah he's great defensively, but he's also a career 60-70 point player. I say this as someone that's been pretty high on Reinhart, especially regarding how his game will age. That being said, I don't expect to extend him anything under 9 mil given his career year.

Also, dunno if this is the popular opinion but, has anyone been underwhelmed by Reinhart in the POs?

I mean, besides the fact he scores at a 49 point pace in the playoffs.. he's just not that visible to me. He's always been a player that gets by with his smarts so you'll seldom see him outrace or muscle someone, but even so he doesn't really generate offense regularly, there were long stretches where I didn't notice him in these POs.

It’s 2024 and the cap is going up

PLD signed a 8.5Mx8 deal a year ago with a 63 point career high
Nylander 11.5M after half a season of elite production

2 way player netting 80 points is easily getting that from the market& fair value. Even if he gets back to ”normal” pace

But with Montour walking could it make sense to throw his past money towards Tanev instead? For a short term deal

Forsling- Tanev match up pairing, more speed to the other

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I don't think Reinhart is worth 9 mil tbh. Yeah he's great defensively, but he's also a career 60-70 point player. I say this as someone that's been pretty high on Reinhart, especially regarding how his game will age. That being said, I don't expect to extend him anything under 9 mil given his career year (and I won't be upset when it happens)

He has been basically a PPG since coming over, normally playing down in the lineup.

9 isn't crazy.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He has been basically a PPG since coming over, normally playing down in the lineup.

9 isn't crazy.
Normally I'd say 2 seasons is a good enough sample size, but even 2021-22 needs a bit of an asterisk with how our team was built back then. Quite a few of our players had career highs and haven't come close to it since.

That being said, you're probably right and I hope so too. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Reinhart a PPG again (without the crazy goal totals)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

I think if its 6 years then $9-9.5M is fine, but if its 8 years then yes I feel that's a bit high. His age factors into it as well, as other contracts were signed for younger players. I think if he was a couple years younger then I'd have no problem with $9-9.5M.

As for playoffs, I think he was fine, production typically dips for players that are targeted.

Reactions: Felidae

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I don't notice him offensively but I always notice him defensively which is as important as any.

Offensively he was more noticeable last year but the same could be said for Tkachuk.

FWIW, Reinhart did more these playoffs overall to me over Tkachuk. And I mean in totality. Reino was largely quiet in the Final but he was massive in game 7.

Trust me, I've seen the same 16 times now (just finished watching it again lmao)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad