Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire 2024 1st (21OA) from the Kings for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA) and 2024 7th (198OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
why-asking.png

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
At this point, the small chance that he becomes a top 4 D doesn’t matter. He’s not good enough to be on the roster full time, and we’ve seen enough that he shouldn’t be taking up a roster spot over younger more promising prospects.

And we’re deep enough at RD that a guy like Barron shouldn’t be blocking better prospects from getting playing time, here or in Laval. If you’re worried about trading a young D before knowing what we have, then the risk is greater in trading away other RD prospects. Like I said, we’ve had a good long look at Barron, and he hasn’t been able to stick even on the bottom pairing on a lottery team. I think it’s time to move on.

At RD we’ve got:

Savard
Kovacevic
Reinbacher
Mailloux
Konyushkov

Where do you feel he fits in here? He’s not good enough currently to play over Savard or Kovacevic, and he hasn’t shown enough to have his development prioritized over any of Reinbacher, Mailloux, or even Konyushkov if he was to come over. He’s just the odd man out here; it’s not about wanting to trade him or whether he eventually gets it together. It’s about playing the odds, managing roster spots, and prioritizing the development of younger more promising prospects.
Savard is done after this year and Konyushkov isn't in North America. That really isn't a lot of depth at RD. There's nothing wrong with Reinbacher and Mailloux (both higher in the pecking order than Barron) marinate in Laval unless they steal a spot on the big club.

I totally get trading Barron given our numbers on D and he probably has some trade value as a young RD and former 1st rounder compared to Harris and Struble. We've made some huge mistakes letting promising young D go though. My preference would be to see him get close to 200 games before moving him.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
So they're making a pick with the 21st?

I doubt it. I think they are in heated talks with another team who want the Habs second first round pick but want it to be sexier than 26….I guess 21 is sexy enough. HABS have to do this to get that guy they covet….obviously a forward. That’s all I have for now….

Reactions: Chili

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think picking Eiserman over one of the D would be a great move when you're picking #11. No time for nepotism that early in the draft.
Eiserman was in the running for number one before this season. He broke the goal record. They are best buds.

It’s not nepotism, it’s building a team. And it’s very possible that they walk out with the two best players in the draft.

Reactions: Banjo Cat

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Eiserman was in the running for number one before this season. He broke the goal record. They are best buds.

It’s not nepotism, it’s building a team. And it’s very possible that they walk out with the two best players in the draft.
It doesn't matter one iota where Eiserman was when the draft cycle began.

Do you want to make an avatar bet that SJ doesn't take Eiserman at #11?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Savard is done after this year and Konyushkov isn't in North America. That really isn't a lot of depth at RD. There's nothing wrong with Reinbacher and Mailloux (both higher in the pecking order than Barron) marinate in Laval unless they steal a spot on the big club.

I totally get trading Barron given our numbers on D and he probably has some trade value as a young RD and former 1st rounder compared to Harris and Struble. We've made some huge mistakes letting promising young D go though. My preference would be to see him get close to 200 games before moving him.
That arbitrary 200 game threshold should go down the more young D you have competing for roster spots. No way it should be 200 games in MTL currently. He’s already there in pro games (NHL+AHL) anyway, and he hasn’t improved/progressed at all since turning pro. In fact, I’d go as far as saying he’s actually regressed.

Imo, he should be traded now while he still has any value. That seems smarter than keeping him around and waiting until he goes the Ylonen/Norlinder route.

I’d try to package him with that newly acquired 21st overall and one of Beck/Mesar for one of NJ (10th), BUF (11th), or SJ’s (14th) picks.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's gotta be looking to move the pick. Otherwise, he'd make sure his guy was on the board first. He's trying to get in the top 10 for sure.
Could be they like a handful of players projected to be there, but it's easier to move up from 21 to 10th/close than 26th.

#ThankYouCaptainObvious

Isn't Koivu's kids in the 57th oa range?
Kind of. He seems to be more of a 3rd rounder.

Habs can still use their 3rd and potentially a 4th to move right back up if need be.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
"It will be interesting to see if Kent Hughes can work his magic. He's hoping to add another top-10 pick, and he's also listening to interest in moving up or down a few spots with his fifth pick. He's also involved in a number of player discussions." - Darren Dreger
Are there any potential bases Dreger hasn't covered? :dunno:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I like Vanacker But not at 21.
Vanacker, who played injured all season, is hugely underrated. His skating reminds me of Cowan's last year, who the Leaf's stole at 24 OA., and who was the OHL MVP this year.

I think Vanacker has a higher upside than Cowan and I hope that Canadiens' staff when following Florian Xhekaj's progress, took a note of Vanacker's elite skating ability and offensive skill. I think when all is said and done, Vanacker will emerge as one of the better players taken in this draft.

As I have previously posted, the strength of our draft will not be determined by who Hughes takes at 5 OA but what he does with the 26 OA. Converting the 26 OA to 21 OA is a good a start. While I never like trading draft choices in the top 2 rounds, this draft year is somewhat different. While this draft is very deep from 1 through 35, there is a marked drop off after the 35 OA range. Trading away 57 OA is not, in this writer's opinion, a crippling cost. Getting one of the usual suspects at 5 OA and Vanacker will make this a very good draft for us. Regrettably, I just don't think Vanacker will be there at 21 OA. Someone, from some team, must have seen the same thing about Vanacker that this writer has. But you never know.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It doesn't matter one iota where Eiserman was when the draft cycle began.

Do you want to make an avatar bet that SJ doesn't take Eiserman at #11?
The draft’s all over the place. I’m not certain of anything. But yeah, I think they’ll take Eiserman.

As for where he was before the draft, it’s speaks to his potential. The guy can score and the upside is there.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
As I have previously posted, the strength of our draft will not be determined by who Hughes takes at 5 OA but what he does with the 26 OA.

I think that's elegant but probably not true. Most likely the draft rides or dies in the 5th.

If HuGo make the right pick at 5th and all other picks bust, we'll be thrilled.

Reactions: ReHabs and Nedved

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
it's clear they have 21 guys they value higher than anyone else on their draft board. maybe 20, but willing to fall back a spot. I like this trade, I think they gap from 21-26 is large.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

Maybe the concerns about Eiserman will turn out to be right, but it's pretty hard to dismiss a guy who has been that good at putting the puck in the net. It's possible everyone is overthinking this.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad