Confirmed with Link: Canadiens acquire 2024 1st (21OA) from the Kings for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA) and 2024 7th (198OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I doubt it. I think they are in heated talks with another team who want the Habs second first round pick but want it to be sexier than 26….I guess 21 is sexy enough. HABS have to do this to get that guy they covet….obviously a forward. That’s all I have for now….
That makes sense because to move up those 5 spots is usually a trade made on the draft floor when a team either knows or has a good idea who will be available at 21. Sounds like this draft pick will probably be moved.

Reactions: TennisMenace

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
They wanted that pick to move up for Demidov , they did not need to use it . From all I heard tonight , kh was more then clear they wanted Demidov.
Even when asked about trading the fifth , he said never with that kid available to us

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I didn’t like the move initially but I figured 21st we get a way better player than 26th…
Even if I like Hage, not sure Greentree is so much worst… now it feel like we weren’t able to move up to get the guy we wanted and weren’t able to move down once it failed and maybe we wasted a 2nd round pick.

I didn’t like the move initially but I figured 21st we get a way better player than 26th…
Even if I like Hage, not sure he is such Greentree is so much worst… now it feel like we weren’t able to move up to get the guy we wanted and weren’t able to move down once it failed and maybe we wasted a 2nd round pick

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Curious if they had Eiserman (taken #20 by NYI) rated ahead of Hage?

Guessing HUGO suspected a few good players to fall into that range - I think it was worth the sacrifice of a late 2nd to grab a highly rated offensive player.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
That makes sense because to move up those 5 spots is usually a trade made on the draft floor when a team either knows or has a good idea who will be available at 21. Sounds like this draft pick will probably be moved.
Boy did I get this wrong. In fact, I’m surprised Hughes didn’t do his big trade for a forward thing like he has done two years in a row- Dach and Newhook. But, maybe they did this trade to move up to take Eiserman or Hage. They got one of them. I’m 100% okay with this and what they did here. GHG

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I think they had a trade planned and it didn't happen . Why trade the day before when you don't have a clue if that player would already be gone?

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Boy did I get this wrong. In fact, I’m surprised Hughes didn’t do his big trade for a forward thing like he has done two years in a row- Dach and Newhook. But, maybe they did this trade to move up to take Eiserman or Hage. They got one of them. I’m 100% okay with this and what they did here. GHG
I believe they were interested in Hage before the draft but they couldn`t know who would still be available at that point. I would not have been surprised to see them trade down a few spots and possibly get a second rounder back if he had been taken. TSN690 said Hughes was on the phone just before the pick so he was probably in some type of trade discussion. Anyway, the draft worked out well for the Habs, two players I believe they really wanted fell to their slots.,

Reactions: Miller Time

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
They have shown a propensity to be very good at predicting the availability of their players.
It's definitely this + a combo of being lucky as well. From what Hughes was saying, they wanted to trade up even more to draft Hage, but they got lucky he just fell to them at 21.

Kinda crazy how this happened to our two players with the highest ceiling (Hutson + Demidov) and happened again with Hage.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Eiserman was in the running for number one before this season. He broke the goal record. They are best buds.

It’s not nepotism, it’s building a team. And it’s very possible that they walk out with the two best players in the draft.
It seems re quisite lly soured on Eiserman's game. He has a really low assists total.

I do wonder if we shouldn't have moved up from 21 to get him or Connolly over Hage. But I trust iur scouts more than myself just reading about him and seeing his name in the headlines over the last 2 to 3 years. Some players plateau, like Sh and ne Wright and Angelo Esposito. And check out Oliver Wahlstrom's goal totals at the USANTDP.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It seems re quisite lly soured on Eiserman's game. He has a really low assists total.

I do wonder if we shouldn't have moved up from 21 to get him or Connolly over Hage. But I trust iur scouts more than myself just reading about him and seeing his name in the headlines over the last 2 to 3 years. Some players plateau, like Sh and ne Wright and Angelo Esposito. And check out Oliver Wahlstrom's goal totals at the USANTDP.
Once we took Demidov, Eiserman started to make less sense for us. I think if we’d gotten say… Lindstrom then Eiserman factors in a lot more as they’re different kinds of players. But both Eiserman and Demidov are skilled wingers and we’ve already got CC.

Where would we have put Eiserman if we drafted him? I guess we could’ve put him with Beck and Newhook, that would’ve made sense. But then he’s out of your top six.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Once we took Demidov, Eiserman started to make less sense for us. I think if we’d gotten say… Lindstrom then Eiserman factors in a lot more as they’re different kinds of players. But both Eiserman and Demidov are skilled wingers and we’ve already got CC.

Where would we have put Eiserman if we drafted him? I guess we could’ve put him with Beck and Newhook, that would’ve made sense. But then he’s out of your top six.

After so many years lacking offense, I find myself very happy we got Demidov. But there is a part of me that just would have liked to have seen us have Demidov, Michkov, and Eiserman or Connolly in our stable all at once. Just to make sure we get at least one or two more offensive studs. Then trade down the line if it's too much offense.

And I know that big with good fundamentals wins in the playoffs. And I really like Reinbacher. But...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After so many years lacking offense, I find myself very happy we got Demidov. But there is a part of me that just would have liked to have seen us have Demidov, Michkov, and Eiserman or Connolly in our stable all at once. Just to make sure we get at least one or two more offensive studs. Then trade down the line if it's too much offense.

And I know that big with good fundamentals wins in the playoffs. And I really like Reinbacher. But...
You need physical play. Too much skill and not enough grit means you’re the Leafs.

But I totally get what you’re saying here. I love the idea of being a high scoring team too.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
This is the average ranking compiled from multiple analysts rankings:

2024 Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

LAK drafted Greentree at 26th; based on the above consensus ranking, he's ranked 17th. Habs, at 21st, picked Hage who is ranked 20th in that list.

Personally, I prefer to have Greentree and keep our 2nd-round pick.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
No, they said Hage was their target.
You expect them to come out and say "We made the trade to draft another guy but he got picked, so we had to fall back to Hage"?

Wether or not the end result was their plan all along, we'll probably never know. Not for many years at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00