Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I read that AM 670 (Cubs radio station) is reporting that Fowler got 90M over 5 years. Though i havent read it anywhere else.

Glad the Jays didnt come close to that. That is and will be an awful deal if true.

Plus the Jays likely would have had to go higher since they're Toronto (though it's hard to quantify the effect that has on any given player) and they weren't able to offer him the CF job.

If that's what he ends up with, the Jays probably would have had to go into the $100 million vicinity.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So is Ben Revere the next target?

Also how do you think the Jays will split up the starts at 1st with Smoak and Pierece?

Hopefully not.

And hopefully Pearce starts all the time and Smoak can play when Pearce needs a day off. Actually, hopefully Pearce starts all the time and when he needs a day off they let Morales start at first and allow someone else to DH.

I'm actually fine with the idea of having Smoak on the roster, but I think after his 2016 struggles they need to keep his playing time low and only give him regular reps as he proves himself throughout the season.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Also how do you think the Jays will split up the starts at 1st with Smoak and Pierece?

The smart thing to do is have Pearce as your full time 1B if he is healthy or your 1a guy and Smoak in a bench role or a 1b at best unless he is having an bounceback year. Pearce is that much better than Smoak.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, Pearce is fine as everyday 1B. Smoak can be the backup DH/1B. 26th man gives us the room to carry him.

I'd be looking for a LF, and a platoon partner for Upton in RF

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Couple of options that id consider that prob wouldn't break the bank:
Trade for Cain - One year left on deal, price wouldn't/shouldn't be crazy
Trade for Melky - 1 year left as well, price wouldn't be high
Trade for granderson - 1 year left as well
Sign Brandon moss to platoon with Upton OR
Trade for Seth Smith to platoon with Upton

My ideal scenario would be Trade for Cain with Harold Ramirez+jon Harris
Trade for Melky for Reese McGuire

Lorenzo Cain - R
Devon Travis-R
Josh Donaldson-R
Franklin Morales-S
Steve Pearce -R
Troy Tulowitzki-R
Melky Cabreara-S
Russell Martin-R
Kevin Pillar-R

Bench
Upton, Smoak, Barney/goins, Jiminez/innetta,Pompey

I don't think signing a 30 year old relief pitcher to bat 4th is a good idea :sarcasm:

In seriousness, I am down for Melky, but I don't think Shapiro and Atkins want to trade for two outfielders, so I think we'd have to go sign Revere or work with Upton/Carrera/Pompey to replace Cain in that lineup

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If the season starts today (which it clearly doesn't), we'd have a team like:

LP Tepera
MR Sparkman
MR Loup
MR Barnes
MR Biagini
LOOGY Dermody
SU Grilli
CP Osuna

A cheap LF who hits righties and LF becomes something like Moss/Upton which is good. And we still have around 25 million that we can add.

One suggestion with the pen is that Bolsinger is out of options so he'd take over long relief.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, Pearce is fine as everyday 1B. Smoak can be the backup DH/1B. 26th man gives us the room to carry him.

I'd be looking for a LF, and a platoon partner for Upton in RF

26th man wasn't included in the new CBA.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
26th man wasn't included in the new CBA.

Oh really?

Weird. Seemed almost certain it was going to be added.

Even then on the bench you can get away with...

4th OF
Backup C
Utility infielder
backup 1B

.. especially with a Steve Pearce, who can play LF/RF, 1B, and even 2B/3B in a pinch

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Making Justin Smoak disappear would allow you to get quite creative with your lineup. As we discussed earlier in the offseason, you could do things as so:

V. Right
1. Travis (2B), 2. Donaldson (3B), 3. Tulo (SS), 4. Morales (DH), 5. Pearce (LF\1B), 6. Moss (1B\LF), 7. Martin (C), 8. Saunders (RF), 9. Pillar (CF)

V. Left
1. Travis (2B), 2. Donaldson (3B), 3. Tulo (SS), 4. Morales (DH), 5. Pearce (1B), 6. Martin (C), 7. Upton (LF), 8. #Zeke (RF), 9. Pillar (CF)

Also, all the butt hurt about Fowler being such a perfect fit for team needs is weird to me. Devon Travis is a fine leadoff option, and last I checked, we have a decent CF (still hate you, Kevin).

By the way; what does a leadoff man usually accrue in AB's these days...about ~670ish ABs? http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...d=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=13862

#voteQuimby

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
And play him where? Even if you assume that Smock just vanishes into the aether they still have morales and Pearce primarily at the 1b/dh spots (I don't buy Pearce being a regular OF.) This was already a scheduling conflict with just morales in the picture. Now you have to shuffle 3 guys through those 2 positions with little alternative playing time options?

First? Though I guess the issue is can he play 100+ games at first. We could always deal Smoak and have Pearce as a utility player but I guess the issue is whether he can play on the field every day.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
can someone more knowledgeable tell me if pearce is better at 1b or LF, it seems 1B from all I have seen

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
can someone more knowledgeable tell me if pearce is better at 1b or LF, it seems 1B from all I have seen

He can play both but he is definitely better as a 1B. He is an average slightly above defensive first basemen and a slightly sub par LFer.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Making Justin Smoak disappear would allow you to get quite creative with your lineup. As we discussed earlier in the offseason, you could do things as so:

V. Right
1. Travis (2B), 2. Donaldson (3B), 3. Tulo (SS), 4. Morales (DH), 5. Pearce (LF\1B), 6. Moss (1B\LF), 7. Martin (C), 8. Saunders (RF), 9. Pillar (CF)

V. Left
1. Travis (2B), 2. Donaldson (3B), 3. Tulo (SS), 4. Morales (DH), 5. Pearce (1B), 6. Martin (C), 7. Upton (LF), 8. #Zeke (RF), 9. Pillar (CF)

Also, all the butt hurt about Fowler being such a perfect fit for team needs is weird to me. Devon Travis is a fine leadoff option, and last I checked, we have a decent CF (still hate you, Kevin).

By the way; what does a leadoff man usually accrue in AB's these days...about ~670ish ABs? http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...d=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=13862

#voteQuimby

I like Travis, but do his injury issues of the past 2+ years not provide some source of concern?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He can play both but he is definitely better as a 1B. He is an average slightly above defensive first basemen and a slightly sub par LFer.

thanks man, so if he was expected to be full time LF it would be bad news for the jays I guess

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
According to Ken Rosenthal, Fowler deal is 5 years 82.5 Million full no trade clause.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

V. Right

V. Left

#voteQuimby

I think we liked the idea of adding Fowler because, while Travis is a perfectly cromulent leadoff option, Fowler is a better leadoff option. He's coming off a .393 OBP, has a career .366, and has never had a season lower than Travis's .342. It would allow you to put Travis towards the bottom of the lineup and have a couple high OBP guys up before the big bats every time the lineup turns over.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I think we liked the idea of adding Fowler because, while Travis is a perfectly cromulent leadoff option, Fowler is a better leadoff option. He's coming off a .393 OBP, has a career .366, and has never had a season lower than Travis's .342. It would allow you to put Travis towards the bottom of the lineup and have a couple high OBP guys up before the big bats every time the lineup turns over.

Sure. His on-base is great, and you'd love to have a ~.390 OBP at the top of your lineup. But not at that cost, and most notably, not at that term.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Free Agency has taken shape. Most of the big names are now off the board. Not sure if there is any other venue the Jays plan on leveraging except for trades. And they have already admitted that their farm system is not strong enough to add impact players.

Looks like a year out of the playoffs to me. Why? I don't think the pitching repeats the stellar year they had last year. BP issues also exist.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

revere is not a "target". he is a spring training minor league contract invite for some team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad