Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If it's closer to 90, than yeah. 18M/year is steep.

Heck, 16M is the upper limit for me, and that's the rumoured minimum

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Too bad about fowler but I'm glad we aren't handing out terrible contracts. I'm surprised we haven't been linked back to Saunders at all. Although I'd prefer not to bring him back. Can't seem to stay in the lineup. I'm not sure who we target now. I think the Jays want the comp picks for EE and Jose at this point. It's the last chance to cash in on the first round comp. Three first rounders could go a long way to restocking the farm with upper tier prospects. I'm not sure who we can target now. I'm liking the Morales signing less now because of all the bats still sitting on the market. Well Smoaks as well.

The flip side is that if we do have an off year we'll have a cash of starters we could trade for a very nice return. While keeping stro and Sanchez. I think we'll still be good this year thougj

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
In your analytical opinion is Upton really good enough in a role higher than bench player.

He's the bad side of a platoon, but that doesn't mean he can't do damage against left handed pitching. In my analytical opinion he is a role player that is suited on the bench. Are you suggesting that bench players don't provide value?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd go for Bautista now.

Deploy him at OF/1B rotating with Pearce.

Or if trading Smoak is a possibility, sign EE and have Pearce be the starting LF and EE's backup 1B at the same time. Platoon Pearce with Carrera and Upton with Pompey. It's not sexy, but it can work if you can't find a good trade or FA option, at least to start the season. Use the money to sign EE, a backup catcher (if you don't like Jimenez) and a bullpen guy. However, by my calculations, unless we get a deal under 4/80 for EE, it'll be tight to fit him in and upgrade the other two positions without going over 160 mill, even if we trade Smoak for pure prospects.

C Martin - FA/Jimenez
1B EE - Pearce
2B Travis - Barney
3B JD - Barney
SS Tulo - Barney
LF Pearce - Carrera
CF Pillar - Pompey
RF Upton - Pompey
DH Morales

Sanchez-Stroman-Estrada-Happ-Liriano

CL Osuna
SU FA/Trade (LHP likely)
SU Grilli
MR Sparkman/Internal
MR Barnes/Internal
MR Loup
LR Biagini

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

dexter fowler was one of the most sought-after outfielders on the free agent market, but mlb’s winter meetings came and went without an agreement in place with the will-be-31-year-old center fielder. That changed not long after, as fowler has agreed to a deal with the st. Louis cardinals, sources tell fanrag sports.
fowler is coming off one of his best seasons; he hit .276/.393/.447 in 2016. His .840 ops was the second-best mark of his career, while his 4.2 bwar was by far the highest number he’s ever posted. In making his first ever all-star team, fowler hit 13 home runs, drove in 48 runs, and stole 13 bases in 20 attempts. He was a major contributor in the cubs’ first world series victory in over a century, including hitting a leadoff home run in game 7.
because the cubs extended fowler a qualifying offer, the cardinals will forfeit the 19th pick in the upcoming june draft (the last time the cba mandates the forfeiture of a first-round pick). the cubs will receive a compensatory pick.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
How exactly are you platooning Pearce with Carrera? You don't just say, hmmm there's 2 cheap guys, platoon them. You platoon a guy who hits lefties well but can't hit righties with a guy that hits righties well but can't hit lefties.

Pearce mashes lefties and is solid against righties, Carrea is good against lefties and bad against righties(reverse splits?), you don't platoon them, they have the same side splits. In fact you don't platoon Pearce at all, he's an above average hitter against righties too.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
How exactly are you platooning Pearce with Carrera? You don't just say, hmmm there's 2 cheap guys, platoon them. You platoon a guy who hits lefties well but can't hit righties with a guy that hits righties well but can't hit lefties.

Pearce mashes lefties and is solid against righties, Carrea is good against lefties and bad against righties(reverse splits?), you don't platoon them, they have the same side splits. In fact you don't platoon Pearce at all, he's an above average hitter against righties too.

Alright then you can call Carrera the 4th outfielder and make him Pearce's backup if he ever needs to play 1B or another position. Pearce would get most of the reps in LF.

You can even platoon Carrera with (presumably) Pompey and make Upton the 4th outfielder. The main point is that if there aren't many good options for the OF, the Jays could technically use what they already have in the OF, trade Smoak and sign EE.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Sorry if I came off harsh, I've just read way too many people just suggest to platoon 2 players without any consideration for what that actually means, it gets annoying.

It also is annoy when people suggest Pearce should be platooned because his splits suggest he shouldn't but I suppose since the Jays are apparently considering that(with Smoak, gross) as well, and with hitters who are worse against righties that Pearce(correct splits, but so bad their good split is worse than Pearces bad one) I shouldn't be mad at anyone but them. The only logical reason behind that is they don't believe Pearce can hold up to the rigors of a full season.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Too bad about Fowler. Which stud outfielder can we target now through trade or FA?

McCutchen?

At least sign EE

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Richard Griffin of the Toronto Star, the Toronto Blue Jays exit the MLB winter meetings as off-season losers.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/base...er-meetings-as-off-season-losers-griffin.html

BLUE JAYS: Losers.

GM Ross Atkins speaks glowingly of the additions of DH Kendrys Morales and first baseman Steve Pearce, but the Jays at this stage of the off-season are a worse team than they were in 2016.

Morales and Pearce are more than off-set by the losses of free-agent outfielders Jose Bautista and Michael Saunders; first baseman Edwin Encarnacion, plus relief pitchers Brett Cecil and Joaquin Benoit.

Yet Atkins is not concerned.

“The meetings are definitely a time when things pick up and we feel like we made progress,” Atkins said of his first off-season as the point man from Day 1. “We’re excited about adding Steve Pearce at the beginning. Excited about a lot of the dialogue on trade fronts and free-agent acquisitions that could occur. It’s always a good time of the year for the momentum to pick up. We feel like we’re in a good position and have a good handle on where things stand for us.”

The young GM insists this week he spoke to every agent that represented a player who matched their needs and to every GM that had a player who was a fit. The talks to improve the Jays will continue, though no longer face-to-face.

“We’ll be busy every day and excited about the opportunities,” Atkins said.

“We feel good about our chances to make this team a very good one and a contending one. The plans are to continue to build our outfield depth, and if there’s a way to build into the ’pen and backup catching, even Triple-A starting, we’ll do it.”

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
that price is perfectly fine for fowler. our FO are *******.

we better sign EE and/or Joey now.

Atkins seems over his head, and is just a puppet. But Sharpiro has to realize we aren't the Cards, Yankees, Cubs or Sox. You likely have to overpay to get guys to come north of the border (especially Americans). I said it before, this front office does not have the nuts to make a big move. Last year, they made some small moves that worked out and I give them credit. But not enough to put them over the top.

They have to either make a statement that they are ready to make another run for it...or sell everyone off like Chisox did. The Chisox made a killing this week in terms of bolstering their team for the future. I think the Jays window is done. Boston is going to be extremely hard to beat this year. And you can see what the Yankees are doing. Loading up on young guys over the last two years, and now starting to flex their wallets with Chapman. You wait tip the big boys come to free agency next summer. Harper, Machado etc etc. Gotta believe the Yankees will be all over that.

Won't be a lot of fun in the AL East for the next number of years. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
Honestly at this point, the only way the front office can avoid the wrath of jays fans is by getting EE. We lose Bautista but gain Morales, so our overall offence shouldn't drop by much and the defense by our corner outfielders probably improves from last year.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we gotta bring back jose...and hope upton and pearce have solid offensive years...who knows maybe upton has a good contract year

Handshot

Jan 28, 2015
They have to either make a statement that they are ready to make another run for it...or sell everyone off like Chisox did. The Chisox made a killing this week in terms of bolstering their team for the future. I think the Jays window is done. Boston is going to be extremely hard to beat this year. And you can see what the Yankees are doing. Loading up on young guys over the last two years, and now starting to flex their wallets with Chapman. You wait tip the big boys come to free agency next summer. Harper, Machado etc etc. Gotta believe the Yankees will be all over that.

Won't be a lot of fun in the AL East for the next number of years. It was fun while it lasted.

I think this coming season will be the last one for a bit where we are in the running for the AL East. If we aren't in the running as the trade deadline comes, then we sell off then and rebuild to be good once the Sox start losing their guys to money problems.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I'm pretty disappointed in how our off season is going. I had a feeling we were really only going to have 2 seasons of greatness. Our starting rotation is top shelf. But we have so many holes in our line up. I'm worried. I really hope we get a impact player. And for the love of God please get us some smart high average hitters.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sorry if I came off harsh, I've just read way too many people just suggest to platoon 2 players without any consideration for what that actually means, it gets annoying.

It also is annoy when people suggest Pearce should be platooned because his splits suggest he shouldn't but I suppose since the Jays are apparently considering that(with Smoak, gross) as well, and with hitters who are worse against righties that Pearce(correct splits, but so bad their good split is worse than Pearces bad one) I shouldn't be mad at anyone but them. The only logical reason behind that is they don't believe Pearce can hold up to the rigors of a full season.

Don't worry about it :laugh:

I sometimes use platoon in the wrong context as well since I'm not as experienced in following baseball as I am hockey. I sometimes use the term platoon whenever there are people playing at the same position, even if one guy plays all but 20 games; when typically a platoon is more of a 50/50 type split.

I'd still have Pearce playing most of the games and Carrera playing a lot less than he did last year, unless there are injuries which force Pearce to another position or out of the lineup. Of course the corner OF spots are not the best in the world, but you'd have EE at 1B again and wouldn't have to give up anything besides money (while also getting something for Smoak). Who knows, maybe Upton and Pompey turn out to be better than expected?

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
My magic 8 ball sees a lot of Jay Bruce in our future, along with a Thole like back up catcher. I am getting chills thinking about this opening day roster, or it could be the stupid snow that is falling outside.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We need the 3 very early picks in the draft. I would prefer not to resign either EE or JB now. We should get a first rate pitching prospect and a couple excellent position players. I know that means less pop in the offence but we did not win with EE and JB and spending on them for multi year contracts is madness longterm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad