Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Please tell me how Stroman has been anything above a number 3, outside of the four game sample size at the end of 2015? You want your #1 putting up an ERA in the 4s/mid to high 3s? I wouldn't. Maybe he is a number one on a non-contendor. Stroman doesn't get you a title.

If Shapiro and co called up offering Stroman for Correa, I can tell you the Astros would be blocking their numbers. Stroman isn't in an elite tier with Goldschmidt, Correa, etc.

ERA? ERA?

:shakehead

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Paul Kinzer's offseason summarized

post-64231-this-is-fine-dog-fire-comic-Im-N7mp.png

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Also you guys act like being a good number 3 is a bad thing. It's not. He's just not an ace that leads you to a title.

Why does it have to be an elite ace or a #3? Pretty vast gap between those 2 things.

Why can't he just be a really good #2 on a winning team or a lower-end #1?

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Lol I know how to evaluate pitchers quite well. His 3.71 FIP is considered average. The K's per 9 are nothing special.

I'm just saying, Stroman is a future number 3.

He's not a strikeout pitcher though, and you don't need to be a strikeout pitcher to be considered 'elite' it's not all about throwing heat.

ChampsSince67

Apr 22, 2015
Canada
No "ace" leads you to a title. This is a team sport. Did Halladay lead us to a title? Did Chris Sale lead the White Sox to a title?

thanks. did you also notice the lack of pitching depth those teams had?

If Stroman is your number one, in no way do you have the depth for a title.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
18th in WAR = #3 starter. gotcha
#6 in xFIP.. thats considered "average"
21st in FIP .. #3 in a 7 team league

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Lol I know how to evaluate pitchers quite well. His 3.71 FIP is considered average. The K's per 9 are nothing special.

I'm just saying, Stroman is a future number 3.

I'd love to be average if it meant being ranked 21st in baseball

Must only be 20 #1's and #2's in baseball

ChampsSince67

Apr 22, 2015
Canada
I know multiple Jays fans (who have been watching before 2015) from baseball forums I post on.

Majority have Stroman as the future number 3.

Also y'all need to trade Donaldson during his peak. My unpopular opinion.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
take your L with grace

also I've been watching/playing baseball since I was 6. I'm 30 today (cheap plug). Does my opinion count or no? Big enough sample size?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Please tell me how Stroman has been anything above a number 3, outside of the four game sample size at the end of 2015? You want your #1 putting up an ERA in the 4s/mid to high 3s? I wouldn't. Maybe he is a number one on a non-contendor. Stroman doesn't get you a title.

If Shapiro and co called up offering Stroman for Correa, I can tell you the Astros would be blocking their numbers. Stroman isn't in an elite tier with Goldschmidt, Correa, etc.

I agree, if we ask Correa we are out to lunch. Best SS out there not even taking age into consideration. But his ceiling is a 3? What? I'd say his ceiling is a number 1 but likely will be a very good number 2, while Sanchez could be elite.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
lol come on. stroman doesn't even sniff you anyone on this list.

Stroman will never be a number one. His ceiling is a good #3 imo.

I agree Stroman may not get you any of those guys but at the same time i dont see the Jays looking to move a controllable pitcher for a position player.

And Stroman is at the very least a #2 so i dont know what you are talking about.

Marcus Stroman rankings (2016) - [Last 3 years rank]:

Pitcher WAR (18th) - [42nd]
xFIP (6th) - [18th]
FIP (21st) - [24th]
SIERA (15th) - [19th]
K-BB% (41st) - [47th]

He is in the top 30 in all categories except k-bb%. At worse he is a number 2 as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad