Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Man if they can strike gold twice in a row that's awesome, Because Biagini was a great pickup for them last year.

Biagini can be sent down this year though if they want to give him more innings to develop into a starter right? I'd rather see him stay up cause he was really good out of the pen last year and we still need some pen arms.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Sparkman: 55 FB, 50 Curve, 50 Chg, 45 Sld, 50 command

Apparently, more of a control guy than a blow you away guy. But man, his K-rates for a starter is quite impressive.

yeah but did you notice he went 2-7 this year across 4 levels? That just won't cut it, how can I trust you to get MLB hitters out if you're losing to minor leaguers? :sarcasm:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Also, sorry to revisit Chapman. But $17.2MM per year for five years to a closer who is 29 at the start of the season is crazy talk.

So, essentially years 3,4,5 will be aged 31, 32, 33.

# of relievers 31+ worth 1+ fWAR in 2016: 11
# of relievers 32+ worth 1+ fWAR in 2016: 6
# of relievers 33+ worth 1+ fWAR in 2016: 4

# of relievers 29 or younger worth 1+ fWAR in 2016: 30

Stop the madness.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
And regarding the nonsensical "we're trading Stromaaaaaahhhhnn!" media crap; here's a list of position players, who are not untouchable (Trout, Bryant, Machado, Harper, Betts, Rizzo, Altuve, Seager, Lindor), who are equal to or as valuable as Marcus Stroman.

1. Goldschmidt
2. Freeman
3. T. Turner
4. Correa
5. Yelich
6. Marte

That is all. Anyone else in a one-for-one, factoring in positional scarcity, years of control and talent, would be a lost trade.

Stop the madness.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
LOL well the Jays lost two catchers and a pitcher they didn't really want probably. Do you get money from the AAA phase? They probably value that money more than the depth they lost. None of them really had roles, and they were mostly just going to take up space in tiers where we had better prospects.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I work usually from 7:30 to 7:30ish. And at 29, manage a USD$28bn portfolio, with about ~15 subordinates remotely reporting to me from another country. My last performance review came back as: "who's awesome? You're awesome"

I spend an asinine amount of time on this website though...so I suck. The business version of Ben Revere. Very ignorant and other derpa der.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
LOL well the Jays lost two catchers and a pitcher they didn't really want probably. Do you get money from the AAA phase? They probably value that money more than the depth they lost. None of them really had roles, and they were mostly just going to take up space in tiers where we had better prospects.

is flores not a SS? he is listed as one, not that it really matters I guess

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Bob McCown isn't terrible at his job. He's great at it. The average Jays fan that listens to his show is a casual fan who knows basically nothing and has the sort of opinions McCown possesses. If he was on there saying smart stuff the average fan wouldn't understand, or think he's an idiot and would tune out because they disagree.

Once the average fan smartens up McCown will be terrible at his job assuming he doesn't smarten up with them. For now his horrible opinions are exactly what most of the idiots listening want to here so he's the perfect man for the job

Zaun too unfortunately, most people watching are intrigued by the baseball Don Cherry who mouths off idiotic things and says things a 5th grader from the 1920's would know. Until the more advanced stuff becomes more commonplace this is the type of thing you will continue to see.

Luckily we're starting to grow a little past RBI, Wins, and errors, and actually see WAR(though its usually bWAR), OPS(lol) and other stuff, but we`ve got a long ways to go before the opinions of Zaun and McCown aren't equivalent to the stuff the fanbase believes.

I suppose it's a bit of what came first, the chicken or the egg. If you stop putting them on TV and start putting more knowledgeable guys the fanbase learns more, but it's a slow process

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
he was "retired"... as in "forced out". And if you think AA "left on his own" then you have never dealt with office politics, my friend.

He did leave on his own. He didn't want to work under Shapiro in the same role as he did with Beeston.
You've never heard of taking your ball and running home with it obviously

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Flores is an SS, but yeah, he didn't have a role since he would have likely been repeating AA anyway. Jays likely have Urena + Gurriel there, and then a combination of Ryan Goins (unless someone else wants him?), Andy Burns, Tim Lopes, Christian Lopes, and Jon Berti at AA/AAA for the middle infield.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I work usually from 7:30 to 7:30ish. And at 29, manage a USD$28bn portfolio, with about ~15 subordinates remotely reporting to me from another country. My last performance review came back as: "who's awesome? You're awesome"

I spend an asinine amount of time on this website though...so I suck. The business version of Ben Revere. Very ignorant and other derpa der.

And modest, too!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
bashing Bob McCown, Hazel Mae, Barry David, and any other reporter who they don't agree with.

btw, I don't agree with anything McCown says but he's good at his job.

I don't even know if I agree with Barry Davis . He never says anything to agree or disagree with.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I too like Sparkman. Everything about him sounds like he could be another Danny Barnes with some more FB velo in the pen.

tbh sparkman has largely done better as an SP than Barnes as a RP in their careers.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
btw, I don't agree with anything McCown says but he's good at his job.

I don't even know if I agree with Barry Davis . He never says anything to agree or disagree with.

he is extremely vanilla, he never talks about anything its always little puff pieces about a guy buying his mum a car or how great some opposition player has been lately, or a visit to sick kids by a player. He is not what you would call hard hitting

edit: obviously this is Barry Davis im talking about

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
meanwhile Hazel actually manages to dig up interesting baseball stuff in her research and interviews. and seems to obviously understand it.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
And regarding the nonsensical "we're trading Stromaaaaaahhhhnn!" media crap; here's a list of position players, who are not untouchable (Trout, Bryant, Machado, Harper, Betts, Rizzo, Altuve, Seager, Lindor), who are equal to or as valuable as Marcus Stroman.

1. Goldschmidt
2. Freeman
3. T. Turner
4. Correa
5. Yelich
6. Marte

That is all. Anyone else in a one-for-one, factoring in positional scarcity, years of control and talent, would be a lost trade.

Stop the madness.
Goldsmidt or Correa please please please :yo:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't know, I hear a lot of people didn't like Barry Davis, but I'm not sure why, but he didn't seem too opinionated to me, normally just asking questions of players, or talking about whatever irrelevant **** sportsnet asked him to. He tweeted regularly and not overly opinionated on there either, mostly facts.

I don't hate Hazel Mae either but I found Barry more enjoyable to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad