Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - The Winter Meeting Chronicles

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't know, I hear a lot of people didn't like Barry Davis, but I'm not sure why, but he didn't seem too opinionated to me, normally just asking questions of players, or talking about whatever irrelevant **** sportsnet asked him to. He tweeted regularly and not overly opinionated on there either, mostly facts.

I don't hate Hazel Mae either but I found Barry more enjoyable to watch.

Barry is great for the comedic value. Donaldson and Gibbons absolutely love taking him to the woodshed, and he takes it quite well. I like him.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I don't know, I hear a lot of people didn't like Barry Davis, but I'm not sure why, but he didn't seem too opinionated to me, normally just asking questions of players, or talking about whatever irrelevant **** sportsnet asked him to. He tweeted regularly and not overly opinionated on there either, mostly facts.

I don't hate Hazel Mae either but I found Barry more enjoyable to watch.

So funny watching him get playfully bullied by some players and even other media members like Tim and Sid haha. He definitely took it well! I'm going to miss him a bit on broadcasts.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
tbh sparkman has largely done better as an SP than Barnes as a RP in their careers.

Barnes has averaged ~30% strikeout rate at every level (and completely dominated AAA) leading up to his promotion. I mean Sparkman can probably do that in a relief role, but exceeding that is kinda difficult.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Flores is an SS, but yeah, he didn't have a role since he would have likely been repeating AA anyway. Jays likely have Urena + Gurriel there, and then a combination of Ryan Goins (unless someone else wants him?), Andy Burns, Tim Lopes, Christian Lopes, and Jon Berti at AA/AAA for the middle infield.

I'm thinking of a different Flores then. I didn't see his position so I assumed. Even bigger log jam at SS, so it's even better for us.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Barnes has averaged ~30% strikeout rate at every level (and completely dominated AAA) leading up to his promotion. I mean Sparkman can probably do that in a relief role, but exceeding that is kinda difficult.

lemme look closer....

MILB career

Sparkman (mostly SP): 247.0ip, 25.9k%, 5.8bb%, 2.84era, 2.91fip
Barnes (mostly RP): 327.1ip, 32.8k%, 6.9bb%, 2.34era, 2.41fip

In the brief time Sparkman was a reliever (he started as an RP out of the draft before converting to starting):

Sparkman (as RP): 63.0ip, 31.7k%, 7.2bb%, 1.86era, 2.48fip

and similar age-to-level ratios.

yeah so maybe you're right on that comp.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Rather take a chance on someone like Sparkman for the pen as opposed to doling out the money in free agency. There's as good of a chance he'll succeed as many of the options out there, for a fraction of the cost.

Biagini 2.0 hopefully

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
As the price tag for both EE and Bautista continues to fall, I hope the Blue Jays remain in the picture for one of the two. There is still plenty of room for a player capable of playing at least half of his games in the field.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
As the price tag for both EE and Bautista continues to fall, I hope the Blue Jays remain in the picture for one of the two. There is still plenty of room for a player capable of playing at least half of his games in the field.

Still very much prefer Edwin over Bautista just because of age and Jose's decline after injury issues. However, I kind of have this feeling that if the Jays can get Edwin signed, Bautista might do a show-me 1 year deal to try and get a 3 year deal out of someone next year.

I actually do believe they want to win in Toronto but are also conscious of setting themselves up for the rest of their lives (and family).

I wonder if given the choice, would they take Jose on a short term deal or Fowler on a longer deal.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
I wonder if given the choice, would they take Jose on a short term deal or Fowler on a longer deal.

Signing both is something I could really see happening. Bautista on a short-term deal playing some OF and 1b, mixing in with Pearce and Upton and Carrera/Pompey with Fowler on a long term deal.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Can someone explain the AAA phase? Same as MLB phase?

MLB phase as you probably know you can draft anyone with a certain amount of minor league experience(4 or 5 years depending on the age of signing) that's not on the 40 man. Then they have to remain on the 25 man roster all year.

minor league phase is much simplier. Teams can protect an additional 38 players(along with the 40 they already have on the 40 man) so they can protect upwards of 78 players, anyone not on that list is eligible to be taken and then they're essentially yours. There are no restriction to where they must play.

Also, like the the MLB phase you have to have spots open on your list, so if you protect 38 additional guys you can't draft anyone in that phase

Getting anyone with MLB upside is extremely rare in this phase almost unheard of since you just start protecting your best 38(or less if you want to pick) guys with enough experience that are eligible but not already on the 40 man.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Signing both is something I could really see happening. Bautista on a short-term deal playing some OF and 1b, mixing in with Pearce and Upton and Carrera/Pompey with Fowler on a long term deal.

Definitely no Edwin in that scenario. Although I have come to terms that he's not coming back, mostly just hopeful wishing. It is what it is. If they can use that money to strengthen the entire team, it makes sense.

ChampsSince67

Apr 22, 2015
Canada
And regarding the nonsensical "we're trading Stromaaaaaahhhhnn!" media crap; here's a list of position players, who are not untouchable (Trout, Bryant, Machado, Harper, Betts, Rizzo, Altuve, Seager, Lindor), who are equal to or as valuable as Marcus Stroman.

1. Goldschmidt
2. Freeman
3. T. Turner
4. Correa
5. Yelich
6. Marte

That is all. Anyone else in a one-for-one, factoring in positional scarcity, years of control and talent, would be a lost trade.

Stop the madness.

lol come on. stroman doesn't even sniff you anyone on this list.

Stroman will never be a number one. His ceiling is a good #3 imo.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I work usually from 7:30 to 7:30ish. And at 29, manage a USD$28bn portfolio, with about ~15 subordinates remotely reporting to me from another country. My last performance review came back as: "who's awesome? You're awesome"

I spend an asinine amount of time on this website though...so I suck. The business version of Ben Revere. Very ignorant and other derpa der.

...... Seriously?

ChampsSince67

Apr 22, 2015
Canada
How can one's ceiling be a level they've already surpassed?

And tell me, oh whimsical stranger, to which tier of positional players do you equate Stroman's value?

Please tell me how Stroman has been anything above a number 3, outside of the four game sample size at the end of 2015? You want your #1 putting up an ERA in the 4s/mid to high 3s? I wouldn't. Maybe he is a number one on a non-contendor. Stroman doesn't get you a title.

If Shapiro and co called up offering Stroman for Correa, I can tell you the Astros would be blocking their numbers. Stroman isn't in an elite tier with Goldschmidt, Correa, etc.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Please tell me how Stroman has been anything above a number 3, outside of the four game sample size at the end of 2015? You want your #1 putting up an ERA in the 4s/mid to high 3s? I wouldn't. Maybe he is a number one on a non-contendor. Stroman doesn't get you a title.

If Shapiro and co called up offering Stroman for Correa, I can tell you the Astros would be blocking their numbers. Stroman isn't in an elite tier with Goldschmidt, Correa, etc.

Ah yes ERA the best way to evaluate pitchers, wins must be super important too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad