2024 Training Camp Roster & Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think Husso is the odd man out play wise unless he really rebounds in the pre-season, but he has the worst contract. I think they signed Talbot with the intention of him platooning with Cossa next season, so I think we may in fact see Lyon as the odd man out.

He makes nothing and thus could be very attractive to a lot of teams if injuries hit or a starter struggles out of the gate.

With Campbell and Cossa in GR there is zero reason to keep 3 goalies this year. Cossa has continue to look solid and while I wouldn't want JC as my permanent starter, he could fill in if injuries happen.

Maybe the Wings can find a taker for Husso as a backup if they retain half. He is on his last year. He needs to at least look passable in the pre-season though. Clearing out his cap would at least ensure we don't need to carry Kane's potential bonus into next years cap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman already said that the NHL schedule is hard, because of the World Cup/4-Nations tournament.

That's why they took 3 goalies, the wear will be hard.

Instead of all the time speculating who goes and where, It could be that everyone is needed.

Reactions: izlez

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Team is having 19.2M of cap space for 2025-26 season + the estimated 4-5M cap growth.

No pressure for other RFA raises than Berggren.

Some Kane bonuses will become almost irrelevant on this situation. all leaving UFAs could be replaced with cheap ELCs, and bring a guy like Trouba in for 8M million. And that still leaves some cap space to work with, maybe extend Kane again.

6 players with ~1M = 6.0M
Jacob Trouba = 8.0M
Kane extended = 4.0M (+2.5M bonus from last year)
--------------
Total 20.5M

And that's the full roster ~89M total caphits versus ~92M 2025-26 cap limit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
My take on the goalie situation is that the Wings ultimately not end up sticking with 3 this season.

The major factor in the Wings going with 3 last year (aside from the inconsistencies and early injury) was not wanting to have to dip into GR for a goalie, if needed. They wanted Cossa to get a significant workload in his first full season in the AHL, concentrate on developing, and not worry about getting called up. And Hutchison, while fine in the AHL, is not a viable NHL option. So, the Wings' NHL options for goalie rested solely with what they kept on the NHL roster.

This season, with Campbell in GR available for a call-up, and probably even Cossa too, the Wings should feel much more comfortable only keeping 2 goalies on the NHL roster, because if the need arises, they probably feel better about their GR options for a fill-in when needed.

On top of that, their need for that roster spot to fit a forward or defenseman in is greater than it was last year, as well.
This is how I feel. I'm not all that sure Campbell is much of a downgrade from Husso at this point but between Camppbell and Cossa, the wings should be able to get competent goaltending on a call up this season. Something they couldnt count on last year.

Cossa last year changed the goaltending situation this year

Reactions: sepster

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is how I feel. I'm not all that sure Campbell is much of a downgrade from Husso at this point but between Camppbell and Cossa, the wings should be able to get competent goaltending on a call up this season. Something they couldnt count on last year.

Cossa last year changed the goaltending situation this year

Imo he really didn't change that, but for next season they can go with 3 goalies again, as Cossa being one. He kind of gives the option, which isn't needed to carry at NHL level.

Lyon could walk, though, if he is good at this season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
This is how I feel. I'm not all that sure Campbell is much of a downgrade from Husso at this point
Campbell had an .873 last year in the NHL, Husso a .892.
While neither number is great, that's a pretty huge difference. It's also worth mentioning that Campbell was 1-4-0 and Husso was 9-5-2. Again, Husso's record isn't incredible - but it's a winning record all the same.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
bell had an .873 last year in the NHL, Husso a .892.
While neither number is great, that's a pretty huge difference. It's also worth mentioning that Campbell was 1-4-0 and Husso was 9-5-2. Again, Husso's record isn't incredibl
I would say Campbell is probably worse (if we truly think Husso can stay healthy) but I honestly think it would be Cossa as the 3G if we actually need someone to play outside of a game or two.

Campbell could be the emergency callup if needed to backup or maybe fill in for a game or two. Cossa is the long term injury callup.

2 mil of saved cap would allow us to potentially bring in a dman at the deadline if we were in the race. Right now we'd have to be cap in/ cap out which usually costs a lot more the closer we get to the deadline.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Campbell had an .873 last year in the NHL, Husso a .892.
While neither number is great, that's a pretty huge difference. It's also worth mentioning that Campbell was 1-4-0 and Husso was 9-5-2. Again, Husso's record isn't incredible - but it's a winning record all the same.
I think that has more to do with the Oilers' terrible start. Stuart Skinner had a .872 save percentage during his first five games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad