Boston Bruins Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He was better at the end than the beginning ~ his assists were mostly from seeing the ice and making plays

he improved

be interesting to see how this evolves over the next days and months

One thing is obvious they aren’t overflowing with young skilled wingers

what is important is what Sweeney if anything said to him

I am a Lysell, right or wrong I would not believe a word Monty said to me

I guess November 1 we will have data to discuss on this

But has he improved enough to play a regular shift on the 2nd line at the NHL level?

Someone will get hurt during the season.

There really is no reason to rush him.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
E

Don't need to stink just regress enough to have a couple of teams nip at their heels in a wild card race. Sooner or later a couple of Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa or Philly will actually
start closing the gap.
if they think they need to "play it safe" then they did a horrible job putting the team together.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I don’t see him on power play ~ he’s a third liner at this point, so he won’t be getting those goals

I think it’s dumb keeping him and not putting Lysell with Marchand & Coyle but I 100% believe Monty & Marchand don’t

Clearly they orchestrated the Lysell situation to be where we are at
MIght be reading too much into this, but are youthinking Monty and Marchand don''t like Lysell ?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My issue is that they didn't even give him a chance to play with the pros.

Why even bother?

Let Lysell and Merk play a few games with the A team. Let's see what they look like with Marchand, etc

Instead we get to see Patrick Brown and Vinny Lettieri..

It's just maddening.

Play the rooks with established players. We want to see what they look like.

Pretty sure Bruins management doesn't care what we want to see.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
We know coaches prefer veterans who are more dependable, and Marchand supposedly doesn't care for playing with rookies. But sending Lysell down this quickly tells me Sweeney wasn't planning on keeping him on the team unless he was fabulous in pre-season.
Yup ~ the way he was handled made me believe he was going down

I don’t even listen to Monty anymore- I want to know what’s going on I want Brad Marchand comments

When Marshy said he wanted Geekie I knew it was over for now

But as Sam Darnold has reinforced to me ‘opportunity is usually around the corner and be prepared’

It will work out somehow for Lysell

Bottom line is we as Bruins fans to sustain even where they are need Lysell, Poitras, Lohrei, and Swayman to nail it (they are all 20-25) and super important

MIght be reading too much into this, but are youthinking Monty and Marchand don''t like Lysell ?
No because if it was me as a player I probably want Geekie

As a fan I want Lysell with 2 guys who are very smart and will play over a thousand games

Lets see how it goes - a week from now could be quite different

Reactions: Bodit9

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
But has he improved enough to play a regular shift on the 2nd line at the NHL level?

Someone will get hurt during the season.

There really is no reason to rush him.
Yeh I’m there with you basically

It’s just I wouldn’t believe Monty if he told me today was Monday

Sweeney I would - if he told me you are clearly in our plans short and long and you could be in lineup next week - you don’t know how things go

I’d bet Lysell is playing in October for the Boston Bruins somehow someway

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Why even bother?

Let Lysell and Merk play a few games with the A team. Let's see what they look like with Marchand, etc

It's just maddening.

Instead we reward the career AHLers like Brown and Lettieri. Wonderul and not shortsighted at all!

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
I would imagine the top two lines will be as follows:
Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Johnson

Your 3rd and 4th lines and 13th forward will likely be:
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Beecher-Kastelic-Brazeau
Jones/Brown

Tyler Johnson can easily put up 40-50 pts playing with Marchand and Coyle and likely PP2.
Our 1st line is absolutely filthy and is going to have a big year. Calling Zacha to hit 30-35 goals.
Freddy/Poitras/Geekie will be a top 5 best 3rd lines in the NHL. 4th line can muck it up and should provide some offence.

I have zero problems with how the team is shaping up. I just hope Korpisalo can hold the fort down. Swayman needs to sign though, this is getting foolish.

Defensively, we are high end in the NHL. We should be in the running for the lowest GAA in the NHL.
No Tyler Johnson is not putting 40-50pts even playing with McJesus stop it!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I simply can’t understand sending lysell and merkulov down already unless they weren’t in the plans to even begin with.

There is no way Brown should be up while those two are down.

When Brown went down to Providence last season, in 42 games he went 11-21-32. Not far off from Lysell's pace. He was also +17 and, most importantly, Providence went on a winning streak. He can play wing or center, wins faceoffs, plays physical, is defensively responsible and is supposed to be a great influence in the room. If the Bruins were a mediocre (or worse) team, sure, play Merkulov and Lysell right now. But that's not the Bruins situation.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
When Brown went down to Providence last season, in 42 games he went 11-21-32. Not far off from Lysell's pace. He was also +17 and, most importantly, Providence went on a winning streak. He can play wing or center, wins faceoffs, plays physical, is defensively responsible and is supposed to be a great influence in the room. If the Bruins were a mediocre (or worse) team, sure, play Merkulov and Lysell right now. But that's not the Bruins situation.
Good lord man. This is Patrick Brown we’re talking about.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I am not getting too hung up on who's here and who's not. I would not be surprised to see a cut or two back up with the big guys soon enough.

I will say there is not one player that works harder than this guy on every shift.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I thought I would enjoy the preseason but I really haven’t. I can’t really get into these games and have only watched bits and pieces so I really can’t objectively evaluate anyone’s play. A week from Tuesday, the regular season starts ?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I thought I would enjoy the preseason but I really haven’t. I can’t really get into these games and have only watched bits and pieces so I really can’t objectively evaluate anyone’s play. A week from Tuesday, the regular season starts ?

The players going through the motions and very few Bruins dressing thus far feels more like a scrimmage than usual even.

So little preseason physicality. Good for the players but not the fans. Assuming the coming games are closer to regular season roster but rather disappointing we are stuck with Brown, Lettieri rather than the prospects the few extra games.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The players going through the motions and very few Bruins dressing thus far feels more like a scrimmage than usual even.

So little preseason physicality. Good for the players but not the fans. Assuming the coming games are closer to regular season roster but rather disappointing we are stuck with Brown, Lettieri rather than the prospects the few extra games.

They shouldn't even charge admission for these games.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

This team is loaded with bottom 6 centers. If Beecher goes down Kastelic will replace him.

We have PTO player in Tyler Johnson competing for a spot on the wing . After that the next option is lysell or merkulov.

You would think they’d want to get a better look at wingers than the 7th or so center on the depth chart.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This team is loaded with bottom 6 centers. If Beecher goes down Kastelic will replace him.

We have PTO player in Tyler Johnson competing for a spot on the wing . After that the next option is lysell or merkulov.

You would think they’d want to get a better look at wingers than the 7th or so center on the depth chart.

Perhaps they think they have seen enough.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Why even bother?

It's just maddening.

I don't think Merk is even close to making a roster spot, and we should probably discuss him separately than Lysell, because it is really hard to even fathom a place where he makes a roster as a C.. Keeping him around doesn't really make any sense.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Lysell's skill level was never in doubt but he's not Alexei Kovalev, he's not so skilled that he can ignore the rest of his game. He can't be so soft on the puck, he can't turn it over as much as he does, and he certainly can't take a long lazy skate back to the bench after his giveaway creates an odd man rush. He has work to do, Providence is the place to do it.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
My guess from an interview and how he has played so far is you are probably going to see Potrias as the second line winger. I just don’t think they see him as a center this year. While stronger I can see Monty going the safer route of using Frederic as the third line center.

Question is whether they see a fit with Johnson as either a third line or second line winger. My guess he affects where Potrias slips in.

It’s a numbers game and it seems Potsy and Johnson are most likely the guys that sent Lysell and Murk down.

Reactions: Caper Bruins fan

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
My guess from an interview and how he has played so far is you are probably going to see Potrias as the second line winger. I just don’t think they see him as a center this year. While stronger I can see Monty going the safer route of using Frederic as the third line center.

Question is whether they see a fit with Johnson as either a third line or second line winger. My guess he affects where Potrias slips in.

It’s a numbers game and it seems Potsy and Johnson are most likely the guys that sent Lysell and Murk down.
Poitras won’t last the season as a winger imo. He takes so many shots. He’s a playmaking center on a team with only one other one. That’s where he would be best served.

Would be nice if the centers they drafted were actually played at center.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Cutting Lysell from the team was the right call.
He needs to improve his game and play meaningful minutes in the AHL.
One of Knies, Johnson or Stankoven, who were all picked after Lysell would like very nice on the second line for us now.

Merk looked better to me, but would also disappear for a large part of the games.

I think Tufte and Koepke are pushing for a spot and will stay at camp right until the last day.
Koepke had a great rookie season two years ago in the AHL and almost made the Lightening that year.

We have 18 forwards left on the roster now at camp. You can bet Poitras will be starting on the wing now, probably on the second line.
I still think TJ makes the team as the 13th forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad