Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Is it possible to hire Carbo as an assistant coach instead of Lacroix.

The team had the bests special unit when he was the coach.

Lacroix is way worst a problem then Therrien. He's the one in charge of the powerplay

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
We desperately need an upgrade at #1C. Plekanec is fine as a 2nd line centre and Eller is great on the third line, but the team isn't going to get anywhere without a true #1C. They don't even have to be elite, just capable of 60 points while being genuinely hard to play against. Unlike DD, who's way too easy to shutdown.

It's why I'm starting to warm up to Eric Staal.

what was a consistent 35 goal scorer doing on the 4th line though

He slumped pretty bad. It was a down year in general for him.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Edmonton is looking for depth and upside in G and on D and even with the extension, I feel like Yakupov is the piece they're dangling. He'd be well worth the risk, he's only 21 at a cap hit of 2.5M and could turn out to be exactly what Montreal need. They have a better leadership group than Edmonton and there is also the Russian element with Markov, Emelin and Galchenyuk (I know he's American).

G Fucale + RD Tinordi <---> RW Yakupov

Sign Petry
Move Desharnais and Gilbert for picks or prospects
Buy out Parenteau... maybe

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
*UFA* - Galchenyuk - Yakupov
Andrighetto - Eller - Weise
Prust - De La Rose - Smith-Pelly

Bournival, Flynn

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Edmonton is looking for depth and upside in G and on D and even with the extension, I feel like Yakupov is the piece they're dangling. He'd be well worth the risk, he's only 21 at a cap hit of 2.5M and could turn out to be exactly what Montreal need. They have a better leadership group than Edmonton and there is also the Russian element with Markov, Emelin and Galchenyuk (I know he's American).

G Fucale + RD Tinordi <---> RW Yakupov

Sign Petry
Move Desharnais and Gilbert for picks or prospects
Buy out Parenteau... maybe

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
*UFA* - Galchenyuk - Yakupov
Andrighetto - Eller - Weise
Prust - De La Rose - Smith-Pelly

Bournival, Flynn

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

Edmonton might look at someone a bit more established...like Emelin. And considering Chiarelli is the GM, he's seen Emelin at his best when he played the Bruins. Maybe that'll sway him. :naughty:

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
I'd like to keep Petry and play him with Beaulieu to help him develop. Both can be physical and perhaps bring some offense from the backend. They are great skaters as well.

The only untouchable on the roster should be Price. Everyone else could be made available to get the #1C this team desperately needs if Galchenyuk isn't the #1C on opening night.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
like the other poster said, if this is a transition year, why the **** was Galchenyuk put at wing for 95% of the season? Stick him at center and leave him there. He needs to learn and develop. Hes now behind on his development. Who knows, if he was put there at the beginning of the season, maybe he would have figured it out by the playoffs and been a monster for us.

For me though, new coaching staff, its a given, id like to see pateryn full time next year, he really played well and id like for a coach to give a chance to tinordi and live with his mistakes, you know, let him develop, i think he can be a good dman in this league. Not bench him and destroy his confidence every single mistake he does. Time to let DD go, if you can, if not he can play 3rd line wing im sure. PAP out, really liked Torey Mitchell as 4th line center, need a top 6 winger, bring in andrighetto for some talent around Eller maybe. Realistically, i expect nothing except an assnt coach and a fourth line player from Bergevin...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I really hope that is the last game we will see with Desharnais wearing the Canadiens jersey

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Need 1 more credible scoring threat on the wing to help Patch. Don't think Sherbak, Hudon or Ghetto will do the trick just yet. Trade ? UFA ? something needs to happen

But Palat, Johnson and Kucherov can? Why the difference? Hmmm.

Slugger

Mar 6, 2013
Man, some of these posts particularly on the Pleks and Chuk threads are giving me cancer. I think it's the right thing to avoid this place until you guys cool off.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If Bergevin at the minimum doesn't move out some of these dead weight contracts to make space for youth, I'll be mighty pissed. I get that it's hard to go out and trade for top end talent, I really do. But make space for your young guys with offensive skill and see what happens. Enough with these ****ing grinders with no offense and jsut hope to win 1-0.

It's horrible hockey to watch, and as we can see, is'nt going to win a Championship.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Emelin 4.1
Parenteau 4.0
Desharnais 3.5

$11.6 millions of bad investments

All three of them for draft picks lost this and last year. Forget about getting skaters for them. That is just moving the deck chairs around, like MB did last summer.

Oddly, this summer should be a mini rebuild with a good core.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
If Bergevin at the minimum doesn't move out some of these dead weight contracts to make space for youth, I'll be mighty pissed. I get that it's hard to go out and trade for top end talent, I really do. But make space for your young guys with offensive skill and see what happens. Enough with these ****ing grinders with no offense and jsut hope to win 1-0.

It's horrible hockey to watch, and as we can see, is'nt going to win a Championship.

But that's how the coach wants to play, so it doesn't really make sense to keep giving up assets or acquiring guys like Ryder/Briere/Vanek/PAP/Sekac so they end up on the 3rd or 4th line. MB either appeases MT by giving him the types of players he wants (grinders) or MB agrees that more grinders and less skilled types are what make teams' successful. Coming from a team like Chicago where they had 4 elite players in the top 6, I'd be surprised if MB is of the moar grind philosophy, but as long as MT is coach and we see 4 or 5 4th liners in the lineup at once, that kinda seems the case.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Can't be half pregnant

Building through the draft when you're normally picking in the bottom half of the 1st is a tough go, need to get lucky - and nibbling the edges of competing by trading 2nd rounders makes it even tougher to be lucky - hopefully they can resign Petry so it's not a total waste

Who knows what happens when Price and Pacioretty are up for new contracts and what our team will look like then based on the cap so the 'window of contention' could be smaller than we think so do you take some greater risk and try to win a Cup now or do you try and remain competitive for a long period - Babcock's interview last week about the Wings basically is the same thing, get in a cycle of getting mid-range players at the draft and before you know it you have an old team that gets bounced in the 1st round with average players in the system that keep you that way - at least they got a Cup in the cap era

Offer up our 1st, Fucale and Tinordi to try and get a top 6 scorer from a rebuilding team
Dump DD & PAP
Trade Bournival & Thomas
Make Chucky the C at camp without any questions and leave him there
Name Gally the Captain
Limit Markov to 2nd line minutes
Let Mitchell, Flynn, Manny, Weaver walk
Give NB 1st line minutes
Get DSP on WW
Bring in Hudon & Big Mac

Pacioretty Chucky Gally
Hudon Pleks XXX
DSP Eller McCarron
Prust DLR Weise

Subban Beaulieu
Petry Markov
Gilbert Emelin

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So the evaluation some of us had with Markov a few years ago before he re-signed was right. The talent is still there but the legs are not. I think to move forward, Markov should be excluded from the Big Three. Sign Petry and get another Top D. I know it's not easy but we need to at this point.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
This is going to be my position this summer. I look forward to the debate: :)

1. If MB was brilliant, to show his confidence in the players and seriousness about the team contending now, he should fire MT before the draft.

Do this while good coaches are still available, and the best UFAs this summer would prefer a better coach, and to prevent the mess of having to fire him next Christmas when he loses the team, and there no good coaches available. I will remind all of you of this next January.

2. I will no longer engage in discussion about DD on this board.

3. Trading Plekanec must be seriously considered, in a trade for a scoring W. Eller is ready.

4. Trade useless or replaceable deadweight for picks lost the last two years, because trading them for crappy players is just repeating last summer and shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, and no one will take them anyway: Emelin, DD, PAP, Prust, Gilbert. Mini rebuild. Give Timmins more picks to work with.

5. Sign Petry if at all possible. Overpay a bit if required. He is young. If not, sign another similar D. But go for Petry big time.

6. Play Chucky at number 1 C in October and keep him there. Habs will not find a no 1 C out there, and they need to spend the money/resources on a big time winger, RFAs, and still have money left.

7. Play Scherbak in the top six from October next year, and keep him there. If Kucherov is good enough , Scherbak sure as hell can be, if not better. Tampa is in Habs division, be young, be offensive.

8. Play McArron on line 3 next year and keep him there, unless he really struggles. Put him in front of the net on the PP, and keep him there.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
9. Hudon to replace DD as the french star. On line 3 for now. Keep him there.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

1. If MB was brilliant, to show his confidence in the players and seriousness about the team contending now, he should fire MT before the draft.

Do this while good coaches are still available, and the best UFAs this summer would prefer a better coach, and to prevent the mess of having to fire him next Christmas when he loses the team, and there no good coaches available. I will remind all of you of this next January.

3. Trading Plekanec must be seriously considered, in a trade for a scoring W. Eller is ready.

4. Trade useless or replaceable deadweight for picks lost the last two years, because trading them for crappy players is just repeating last summer and shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic, and no one will take them anyway: Emelin, DD, PAP, Prust, Gilbert. Mini rebuild. Give Timmins more picks to work with.

5. Sign Petry if at all possible. Overpay a bit if required. He is young. If not, sign another similar D. But go for Petry big time.

6. Play Chucky at number 1 C in October and keep him there. Habs will not find a no 1 C out there, and they need to spend the money/resources on a big time winger, RFAs, and still have money left.

7. Play Scherbak in the top six from October next year, and keep him there. If Kucherov is good enough , Scherbak sure as hell can be, if not better. Tampa is in Habs division, be young, be offensive.

8. Play McArron on line 3 next year and keep him there, unless he really struggles. Put him in front of the net on the PP, and keep him there.

I actually agree with almost all your points, except I could see this idiotic management team trading Eller instead of Plekanec just because MT doesn't like him. In general I'm not completely sold on trading Plekenec either, I'd much rather see DD shipped off for a bag of pucks. Unless we can get a bonafide scorer in the trade, it's a trade we likely lose.

Capitaine Subban*

1- Doubtful
2- Why not.
3- Part of a blockbuster deal, yes sir.
4- You are spot on.
5- I agree we need him badly.
6- Sadly, it is the truth but I feel that Alex doesnt have the " IT" for our team to contend seriously. I hope I'm wrong on him but we dont have the choice to play him.
7- :yo:
8- He cannot do worse than Delarose so I hope he makes the club next year because we need his size,speed and talent.

Nice post

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
So the evaluation some of us had with Markov a few years ago before he re-signed was right. The talent is still there but the legs are not. I think to move forward, Markov should be excluded from the Big Three. Sign Petry and get another Top D. I know it's not easy but we need to at this point.

Yep. He's just too old now.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Signing Petry is key. Habs threw away two 2nd round picks + for Vanek and Petry...these add up as we saw in the Gainey/Gauthier regime. Need something to show for it, can't be throwing picks every year to plug a hole.

1. Sign Petry
2. Move out DD and get Galchenyuk to prepare for full time C in off season. None of this we see you as a future C but need you as LW BS.
3. Get a long term top 6 winger (if Petry is signed, can risk moving Tinordi)
4. Try to move PAP for a 3rd/4th line winger that can play physical.
5. Sign Mitchell
6. Don't pull a Bournival with DLR ... Make a decision whether you want him in NHL or not. If yes, give him 3rd role.

C
1. Plekanec
2. Galchenyuk
3. Eller
4. Mitchell

LW
1. Pacioretty
3. DLR
4. Prust

RW
1. Gallagher
3. DSP