Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
damn. that was a long, awkward pause. I hope he didn't just sign his ticket out of here :(

I don't think it's anything new for Habs' management. I can remember when Eller started out in the league Danny Dubé reported that Eller always saw himself as an offensive player and was unhappy with his role on the team already back then and never hid his discontent.

Analyzer*

Instead of the PVR, check NHL.com

Here is where we ranked in the different categories:

Shots against/game - 21st (30.1)
Shots for per game - 25th (28.5)
Goals against average - 1st (2.24)
Goals/GP - 20th (2.61)

If you didn't watch the games, you would think we were getting by almost purely on goaltending. Now why this isn't completely true, it's not as far off as you're trying to make it look.

Now here is 2011-2012 (since you brought it up):

Shots against/game - 12th (29.7)
Shots for per game - 19th (28.5)
Goals against average - 8th (2.61)
Goals/GP - 19th (2.52)

Looks eerily similar with the exception of 1 stat if you ask me.

This is what I've been posting for 2 months now when people say Therrien and Bergevin "turned" this team around.

It's ********.

Bergevin is failing and Therrien is a massive failure.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
But you know who did go on a 22 game slump? Desharnais. I don't recall his minutes ever being reduced. ;)

That's still the most nonsensical, double standard ******** I've seen from a Montréal coach since... You'd have to go back pretty far.

A coach needs to be fair above everything else.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Michel Therrien doesn't coach to win the Stanley Cup, he coaches to keep his job and a steady paycheque. It's plainly obvious. He cannot, or refuses to adapt to the way the game is played now.

Look at the teams remaining in the playoffs. How many of them play the style he wants his team to play?

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I don't think it's anything new for Habs' management. I can remember when Eller started out in the league Danny Dubé reported that Eller always saw himself as an offensive player and was unhappy with his role on the team already back then and never hid his discontent.

Eller is Jan Bulis v.2

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I'm truly glad majority of this board finally sees what I and other have said since day 1 of MT's tenure.

Some of them had it with him after 10 games, others took longer. Pacioretty for his comments should honestly never wear this jersey again (including his ballerina performances in the playoffs).

What comments??

Analyzer*

That's still the most nonsensical, double standard ******** I've seen from a Montréal coach since... You'd have to go back pretty far.

A coach needs to be fair above everything else.

What about Martin with Gomez ?

Gave him all sorts of time to get going, but if Eller made a mistake he was benched.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Michel Therrien doesn't coach to win the Stanley Cup, he coaches to keep his job and a steady paycheque. It's plainly obvious. He cannot, or refuses to adapt to the way the game is played now.

Look at the teams remaining in the playoffs. How many of them play the style he wants his team to play?

NY Rangers ?

Lorty

May 7, 2013
There's not really a choice to be made between Desharnais and Plekanec. It's Desharnais that needs to go, and it should be clear as day for Bergevin.

The question is, does Therrien have enough influence to get Eller off the team instead.

Well, of course... but sadly, Desharnais has no value and we need a top 6 RW ASAP. Who will take Desharnais anyway? Not only he's an average regular season player, but he's non-existent in the playoffs.

As much as I want him gone, it's pretty clear they won't ship him. In terms of value : Eller > Plekanec > Desharnais.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Well, of course... but sadly, Desharnais has no value and we need a top 6 RW ASAP. Who will take Desharnais anyway? Not only he's an average regular season player, but he's non-existent in the playoffs.

As much as I want him gone, it's pretty clear they won't ship him. In terms of value : Eller > Plekanec > Desharnais.

Put him in the minors and save 925k on his 3.5. It's not perfect, but it takes him away from Therrien.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
But you know who did go on a 22 game slump? Desharnais. I don't recall his minutes ever being reduced. ;)

Right because being in the press box for 2 games and on the 4th line for 3 wasn't a reduction of his minutes...your memory can't be very good.

Must be my imagination that he had 4 or 5 games under 15 minutes.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/5082/year/2014/david-desharnais

Meanwhile Eller this year...

Eller had 3 points and -9 in 28 games to start 2015 and in that stretch he had 11 gamers over 17:00 per game

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/3946/lars-eller

...but yeah, he hates Eller and loves Desharnais. :laugh:

Nynja*

Hes already got the contract tho lol, hes gettin the money regardless.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What about Martin with Gomez ?

Gave him all sorts of time to get going, but if Eller made a mistake he was benched.

Eller was a rookie and sophomore. You expect that much. But, even in his sophomore year, Martin was increasing Eller's minutes and responsibilities. Just normal progression.
Therrien was still benching Subban the year he won the Norris.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
Put him in the minors and save 925k on his 3.5. It's not perfect, but it takes him away from Therrien.

But then we still don't have that missing piece in the top 6, and if Eller is traded, then we're missing a center.

A top 6 winger isn't going to come out of nowhere. It WILL be expensive, and our AHL players are far from ready to take a top 6 role all season long unless we are extremely lucky.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Pretty funny for a guy with scout in his name you don't understand that usage matters more than time on ice.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Lars Eller thinks is an offensive player but he's not. BUT, I hope we keep him because he's good on the 3rd line center. I would trade Eller when De La Rose is ready to take his place.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is what I've been posting for 2 months now when people say Therrien and Bergevin "turned" this team around.

It's ********.

Bergevin is failing and Therrien is a massive failure.

Yup bring back Cunneyworth and Gauthier...:facepalm:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
But then we still don't have that missing piece in the top 6, and if Eller is traded, then we're missing a center.

A top 6 winger isn't going to come out of nowhere. It WILL be expensive, and our AHL players are far from ready to take a top 6 role all season long unless we are extremely lucky.

Centres are more important than wingers at this point. This team barely has any top 6 players and 1 top 3 player right now. Worry about the centre position, and fill in wingers how you can.

Depth AT THE WORST next season should be:

Galchenyuk
Eller
Plekanec

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I don't care about our wingers. It's not like we can afford wasting assets down the middle either. Centers are more important, and I want the team to roll it's three best assets down the middle going forward. Galchenyuk/Eller/Plekanec.

Desharnais has no value because he's worthless. Obvious, I know, but why would we keep a worthless player on our roster?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Lars Eller thinks is an offensive player but he's not. BUT, I hope we keep him because he's good on the 3rd line center. I would trade Eller when De La Rose is ready to take his place.

DLR is never going to be a 30 point player in the NHL. He's got zero hockey IQ in the offensive zone. I don't think he even has what it takes to play center. Non-fighting Travis Moen. If we're really lucky he turns into poor mans Jannik Hansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad