Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'm truly glad majority of this board finally sees what I and other have said since day 1 of MT's tenure.

Some of them had it with him after 10 games, others took longer. Pacioretty for his comments should honestly never wear this jersey again (including his ballerina performances in the playoffs).

Lol what a terrible idea

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Real Eller thinking: Therrien you sucks as a coach because we have a team able to score more goal

Real Eller thinking: Therrien you're just a a**** to just see me as a third one dimentional defensive center and dont give me any offensive occasion

Therrien real thinking after that: Eller my body you will have the same role next year with no offensive occasion

Translation: ***************************** Therrien

Translation: Eller is gone.

MB got Briere, MT would not play him, gone. MB got Sekac, MT would not play him, gone.

MT is not going to give Eller PP time or a more offensive role. Now Eller is talking, has always kept his mouth shut but now he is talking. I believe that there are other teams out there who will see that Eller is a 3rd line center at worst, but if given a chance may have more to give, so will offer something better than what you would get for a 3rd line center. Eller likely gone, unless MB tells MT how it will be .

What bums me out about Eller is that he may just be what we see right now, which is still good, but I wonder, if he had a good skill winger ( Galchenyuk ) , what could he do ? If he had the chance of a more offensive role ? We may find out with him on another team.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
DD isn't a #1 center. Never has been. Never was even close to be one. He's being used as such by Therrien, but that's another story.

Is it realistic for me to ask of MB to do the right decision for this franchise going forward? Probably not, considering DD is Therrien's muppet and he signed the head coach for 4 more friggin' years. But I'll never advocate keeping DD over Eller or Plekanec under any circumstances.

Of course he's not a #1 Center, that's why I wrote #1 Center in quotation marks. He's been used as one all season long, so it's pretty clear Therrien favors him and NO way he's going to be shipped or traded next season, unless some other team suddenly has an interest in him which I highly highly doubt.

I mean, I agree with you, that we should keep Eller/Plekanec over Desharnais. But as I said, the most valuable center right now is Eller and he's one of the most likely player to get traded.

Heck, with his comments today, it's pretty clear he isn't happy with his role in the team.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
When has he failed as an offensive player? Because his bottom 6 offensive blackhole wingers fail to finish his chances?

Even if he would hypothetically fail (not that you could say DD succeeded to begin with), I keep on saying he's the perfect 3rd line center. There will always be a place on a roster for that kind of player. You just have to tamper the expectations a bit given the role he's playing on this team, but say he was given the same kind of prime opportunities as Desharnais, would it really surprise anyone if he turned into a 60 points player?

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I've got a feeling this isnt looking very good for Therrien. If its true he isnt speaking to the press alone today and if in fact he does speak with Bergevin tomorrow than that doesnt make me feel like MB trusts him.

I seriously hope MB holds his ground and keeps Eller, trades Desharnais. I specifically remember him saying great things about Eller at the deadlines, like building teams around him. Therrien using him the way he did reinforces my thoughts that MB and MT arent on the same wavelength.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I just can't believe a team with no real offensive centres kept Galchenyuk at wing all season. It's just baffling.

Problem: You can't score goals.
Solution: Keep players in position ill suited for them.
Result: Continue to struggle scoring.

Foolproof.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
When has he failed as an offensive player? Because his bottom 6 offensive blackhole wingers fail to finish his chances?

Well first by numbers but second, he's inconstent in his effort in the season. He has too much empty offensive periods in the season to be a go to guy offensively. I really like Eller, I said it a lot of times that I hope he will not be traded. He's another Jan Bulis, he can't accept his role on a team but they are players like that, it's just a little harder to coach.

Last edited:

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Translation: Eller is gone.

MB got Briere, MT would not play him, gone. MB got Sekac, MT would not play him, gone.

MT is not going to give Eller PP time or a more offensive role. Now Eller is talking, has always kept his mouth shut but now he is talking. I believe that there are other teams out there who will see that Eller is a 3rd line center at worst, but if given a chance may have more to give, so will offer something better than what you would get for a 3rd line center. Eller likely gone, unless MB tells MT how it will be .

What bums me out about Eller is that he may just be what we see right now, which is still good, but I wonder, if he had a good skill winger ( Galchenyuk ) , what could he do ? If he had the chance of a more offensive role ? We may find out with him on another team.

He isnt the only one talking, and MB specifically praised Eller at the deadline. Its not out of the realm of possibilities that he trades him, but that would mean MB's reign ends with Therrien. I've got more hopes on him than that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
And this is why I want to keep Plekanec. Deploy him on the third line to help offset any struggles Galchenyuk and Eller may have adapting to top six, offensive minutes. It's also why I'm a big proponent of getting quality depth like Higgins to make Plek's line essentially take over from Eller's.

I'm fine with that, except I don't see Therrien doing it. He will never favor Eller over Plekanec. Even last year in the POs when Eller lead all our forwards in points, he still couldn't find it in him to give him PP time despite it struggling.
Sadly, that's what I see happening. I think part of why he's so candid is he expects a trade or is subtly demanding one.

I might agree if this was the first time I heard Eller speak, but it's not. He's always been rather honest in the media. You want some honest answers, speak to Eller. It's refreshing.

Nynja*

Even if he would hypothetically fail (not that you could say DD succeeded to begin with), I keep on saying he's the perfect 3rd line center. There will always be a place on a roster for that kind of player. You just have to tamper the expectations a bit given the role he's playing on this team, but say he was given the same kind of prime opportunities as Desharnais, would it really surprise anyone if he turned into a 60 points player?

I wouldnt, and if he does fail, then he fails in a situation he was expected to succeed. I'm fed up of these "Eller sux lol26 pts" when they know full well Eller was given garbage assignments and bottom 6 wingers all season long.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I've got a feeling this isnt looking very good for Therrien. If its true he isnt speaking to the press alone today and if in fact he does speak with Bergevin tomorrow than that doesnt make me feel like MB trusts him.

I seriously hope MB holds his ground and keeps Eller, trades Desharnais. I specifically remember him saying great things about Eller at the deadlines, like building teams around him. Therrien using him the way he did reinforces my thoughts that MB and MT arent on the same wavelength.

It would take a set of stones to fire Therrien and his staff after just re-upping them. While normally it would make you curious about his abilities, I think in this instance it would galvanize the fan base to his cause. Couple that with the fact that the talent available right now is higher than it's been in a long time, it could just make sense.

But alas, I doubt it. Therrien probably isn't speaking because he's a coward and he wouldn't answer tough questions anyway so it doesn't even matter.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

To be honest, if we have another coach (who doesn't blindly favor DD), I don't mind the idea of keeping him. He can be a good 3rd line player imo. That being said, if he does get 3rd line minutes, his production will go down which will reduce his value....so trade him

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
It would take a set of stones to fire Therrien and his staff after just re-upping them. While normally it would make you curious about his abilities, I think in this instance it would galvanize the fan base to his cause. Couple that with the fact that the talent available right now is higher than it's been in a long time, it could just make sense.

But alas, I doubt it. Therrien probably isn't speaking because he's a coward and he wouldn't answer tough questions anyway so it doesn't even matter.

What's the point of having a french speaking coach when he won't even speak to the media.

What a joke.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Well first by numbers but second, he's inconstent in his effort in the season. He has too much empty offensive to be a go to guy offensively. I really like Eller, I said it a lot of times that I hope he will not be traded. He's another Jan Bulis, he can't accept his role on a team.

My main beef with Eller is that he tends to sulk in when things aren't going his way, but honestly... Try to put yourself in his shoes. Seeing the kind of bias the coach has towards Desharnais, never giving you a chance to show what you're made of despite showing promises in the 12-13 season, being the odd guy being called out by the coach along with Sekac, the guy that got traded shortly after...

Therrien isn't being fair. Eller probably wants him gone, and vice-versa.

And yet, Eller always shows up in the playoffs.

It's hard, considering how he's being handled, to keep playing with that extra chip on your shoulder and be confident on the ice. Galchenyuk has been going through the same thing in the 2nd half of the season.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
What's the point of having a french speaking coach when he won't even speak to the media.

What a joke.

If he's asked a question that requires an insightful response, he either storms off or just doesn't answer it. I get that his job is to coach the team and not appease the media, but the people paying to see this "entertainment" want to hear. There is a level of accountability with the public that a coach should have, and he does not uphold that process.

Bergevin is going to be the one that suffers when everyone just turns on him instead.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
My main beef with Eller is that he tends to sulk in when things aren't going his way, but honestly... Try to put yourself in his shoes. Seeing the kind of bias the coach has towards Desharnais, never giving you a chance to show what you're made of despite showing promises in the 12-13 season, being the odd guy being called out by the coach along with Sekac, the guy that got traded shortly after...

Therrien isn't being fair. Eller probably wants him gone, and vice-versa.

And yet, Eller always shows up in the playoffs.

It's hard, considering how he's being handled, to keep playing with that extra chip on your shoulder and be confident on the ice. Galchenyuk has been going through the same thing in the 2nd half of the season.

A coach has his favorites, it happens. It's up to Bergevin to trade people now.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Lol what a terrible idea

Yes, terrible. 39 and 37 goals in the regular season. Shows up 1 game every round in the playoffs, and makes comments that the system is fine.

Primadonna that hangs out with his buddy "Red Line" ervy game, ervy day. Born leader. 6'3 215lbs of feathers while a 5'9 180lbs mac truck does the work.

:help:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
A coach has his favorites, it happens. It's up to Bergevin to trade people now.

Sure, but when it gets in the way of team progression, Bergevin has to start asking himself the hard questions. Questions that are starting to surface a bit in the mainstream media, too...

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007

Super fitting of this guy, I get the same feeling, as much as I wish he'd be gone.

To be honest, if we have another coach (who doesn't blindly favor DD), I don't mind the idea of keeping him. He can be a good 3rd line player imo. That being said, if he does get 3rd line minutes, his production will go down which will reduce his value....so trade him

Honestly I wouldnt trade him and I wouldnt put him on the 3rd. I think Plekanec's time with this team is drawing to an end. I love Pleky but maybe its time to move on.

Trade Desharnais and Plekanec for a good package. Your two centers next year are Galchenyuk on the first and Eller on the second, but thats just me.

On the other hand, we could also keep Pleky and play him on the 3rd. But I think if we get something that helps this team, trade him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yes, terrible. 39 and 37 goals in the regular season. Shows up 1 game every round in the playoffs, and makes comments that the system is fine.

Primadonna that hangs out with his buddy "Red Line" ervy game, ervy day. Born leader. 6'3 215lbs of feathers while a 5'9 180lbs mac truck does the work.

:help:

Players play different styles and are effective in different ways. For all the flack Pacioretty got in the playoffs, I think he was fine for the most part.

He's not Ovechkin. He's not a very noticeable guy on the ice, but he's effective... Sort of like Stamkos.

Pacioretty is a top 5 LW in the game. Whether you like or not his boot-licking attitude to get the C doesn't make him any less of a core component on this team.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I just can't believe a team with no real offensive centres kept Galchenyuk at wing all season. It's just baffling.

Problem: You can't score goals.
Solution: Blame 3rd line centerman with 0 offensive opportunities.
Result: Continue to struggle scoring.

Foolproof.

FTFY, and you are very welcome.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Sure, but when it gets in the way of team progression, Bergevin has to start asking himself the hard questions. Questions that are starting to surface a bit in the mainstream media, too...

If Bergevin trades Desharnais and Plekanec, Eller will have his wish and will play on the top 2 line. De La Rose was used as center at first and we were questionning why, I think it's for the possibility for him to play on the 3rd line full time. Mitchell could be coming back with a lower salary on the 4th line.

Eller even has the same cap hit as Desharnais, so it would be logic to take Desharnais's place as a top center but I think he can't be the go to guy (like Plekanec). Galchenyuk should be able to replace Plekanec in the future.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Players play different styles and are effective in different ways. For all the flack Pacioretty got in the playoffs, I think he was fine for the most part.

He's not Ovechkin. He's not a very noticeable guy on the ice, but he's effective... Sort of like Stamkos.

Pacioretty is a top 5 LW in the game. Whether you like or not his boot-licking attitude to get the C doesn't make him any less of a core component on this team.

Do this.
Swap Pacioretty and Kessel (they are identical players, actually Kessel is better because he can actually pass and doesn't take shots from the half wall on a continous basis), are you happy with Kessel's play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad