Off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
If Bergevin trades Desharnais and Plekanec, Eller will have his wish and will play on the top 2 line. De La Rose was used as center at first and we were questionning why, I think it's for the possibility for him to play on the 3rd line full time. Mitchell could be coming back with a lower salary on the 4th line.

In my opinion, going with Galchenyuk/Eller/DLR/Mitchell into next season is asking for trouble.

You need to keep Plekanec. I just don't see anyway around it. I get that people are frustrated at his half-assed effort in the playoffs yet again, but he's too important to this team to just let him go. You can use Eller on the 2nd line and have Plekanec on the third for all I care. At least Tomas gives some offensive upside to the 3rd line and gives us a much more well-rounded line-up than whatever winger you think you can get in return.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Do this.
Swap Pacioretty and Kessel (they are identical players, actually Kessel is better because he can actually pass and doesn't take shots from the half wall on a continous basis), are you happy with Kessel's play?

Kessel doesn't have half of Pacioretty's two-way game, and is paid twice as much. He's also an homegrown talent and a leader on this team. I wouldn't do this move.

EDIT: Now I realize this wasn't the question you asked, but as I said, I think Pacioretty played more or less the same way he did all season long. People expected him to play with more intensity, especially considering the contrast it made with Gallagher on the same line, but that's just not his game. Pacioretty was alright.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
What would it take for this franchise to hire a high-tempo, offensive-oriented coaching staff that results in exciting hockey? Then again, it's not as if we have a bunch of offensive dynamos..

I'm just sick and tired of the defensive "system" style hockey of Michel Therrien and Jacques Martin. Boring, low scoring hockey where you rely greatly on your goaltender game in and game out.

Let's face it, without Price, we're likely not even a playoff team. Hate to say it.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
If he's asked a question that requires an insightful response, he either storms off or just doesn't answer it. I get that his job is to coach the team and not appease the media, but the people paying to see this "entertainment" want to hear. There is a level of accountability with the public that a coach should have, and he does not uphold that process.

Bergevin is going to be the one that suffers when everyone just turns on him instead.

So true. It was so refreshing hearing Cooper talk to the press. Specific answers, wit, analysis...

With MT, it's ''we competed hard/not hard enough'', ''our work ethic was good/not good enough'' or ''we played/didn't play da system'' AND IT ****ING STOPS THERE EVERY TIME. You'd think a coach in the best hockey league in the world could provide some sort of in-depth analysis when talking about his team's performance...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
What would it take for this franchise to hire a high-tempo, offensive-oriented coaching staff that results in exciting hockey? Then again, it's not as if we have a bunch of offensive dynamos..

I'm just sick and tired of the defensive "system" style hockey of Michel Therrien and Jacques Martin. Boring, low scoring hockey where you rely greatly on your goaltender game in and game out.

Let's face it, without Price, we're likely not even a playoff team. Hate to say it.

Therrien's system isn't even what I'd call defensive. Price is what makes it look effective when you look at face value numbers, but underlying numbers tell a whole different story.

Therrien's system is... Ineffective. In every way.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Kessel doesn't have half of Pacioretty's two-way game, and is paid twice as much. He's also an homegrown talent and a leader on this team. I wouldn't do this move.

EDIT: Now I realize this wasn't the question you asked, but as I said, I think Pacioretty played more or less the same way he did all season long. People expected him to play with more intensity, especially considering the contrast it made with Gallagher on the same line, but that's just not his game. Pacioretty was alright.

Its funny that every playoffs so far Pacioretty has an injury after an abysmal showing. I don't see where he was fine at all, when a 5'9 180lbs player is doing the grunt work for a 6'2 guy there is an issue.

He has no "anything for the team" in him. He's not a leader. He's an ass kisser. Christ sake Gallagher took a cross check to the face and came back next shift with the same intensity. Pacioretty still floated around. I don't buy the concussion excuse as every year its the same stuff with him.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo

What should have happened after Cunney was this.

Molson calls Boucher and says you are the new coach. Hires MB. MB hires Larry Robinson.

You know have the offensive coach worry about the forwards, the defensive coach handles the D, Waite with Price. You know, exactly how you build a hockey team. Your forwards shouldn't be out produced by your dmen....

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Its funny that every playoffs so far Pacioretty has an injury after an abysmal showing. I don't see where he was fine at all, when a 5'9 180lbs player is doing the grunt work for a 6'2 guy there is an issue.

He has no "anything for the team" in him. He's not a leader. He's an ass kisser. Christ sake Gallagher took a cross check to the face and came back next shift with the same intensity. Pacioretty still floated around. I don't buy the concussion excuse as every year its the same stuff with him.

As I said, I just didn't see any notable difference between the guy that scored nearly scored 40 goals the last two regular seasons and the guy that showed up in the playoffs this year. The people's expectations seem to be what changed the most.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
As I said, I just didn't see any notable difference between the guy that scored nearly scored 40 goals the last two regular seasons and the guy that showed up in the playoffs this year. The people's expectations seem to be what changed the most.

That is a notable difference. While is diminutive winger has elevated his game, Pacioretty for 3 playoffs now has changed squat. He plays training camp, the regular season and playoffs all the same. A give me the puck so I can miss the net type of style.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Pierre McGuire just said that he told Molson in his interview that he was going to trade the #3 pick for a #1C if he got the job. Had someone in mind, hrm!

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal

Thing is, his patented shot from the hashmarks gets blocked in the playoffs. His one deke to enter the zone on the rush didn't work in the regular season, and neither did it work in the playoffs. He has a great shot, but he has trouble finding space by himself when the forwards establish the cycle. The effort was about the same as it was during the regular season, it's just much harder to score in the playoffs, which is the problem with Patches, he just doesn't seem to have that extra gear in him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That is a notable difference. While is diminutive winger has elevated his game, Pacioretty for 3 playoffs now has changed squat. He plays training camp, the regular season and playoffs all the same. A give me the puck so I can miss the net type of style.

He's a quality complementary player, I don't pretend he's anything more than that. We have a pillar between the post and one on the blueline. We need a forward pillar now, and the only one with that potential has been rotting over the season to the benefit of DD.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Can't be real. Dandeneault said DD is Therrien's scapegoat?!?!?! link pls lol

Taken from live comments today... No video clip available.

Dandenault on DD: "Muté a l'aile, beaucoup d'adversité, ça devient un souffre douleur pour Michel Therrien. Bonne saison malgré tout ce qu'il a eu à traversé"

All I can say is that DD seems to be taking MT's abuse very well.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Speculation? Because Jordan Staal refused 6M/year in Pittsburgh cause he wanted to play with his brother. So that makes no sense.

McGuire himself said he wanted to trade the pick for Jordan Staal.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
**** McGuire lol. Glad we didn't hire that clown. He has some knowledge but he's way too overtop and emotional. I feel he'd be the type of GM who would think highly of himself and consider every deal he does a steal.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
It's not rocket sciences, DD and Pleks will not lead this team to the promess land therefore proper mesures need to be taken. Also habs fan have been wanting a bigger more physical team for the longest time, get Tinordi in the linuep. How did the Rangers develop our guy into a team captain? and we can t identify a true leader? I don t like what I m seeing in regards to player development other coaches would love to have these guys to work with: Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi, Bournival, DLR.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Ovechkin - 9 points in 14 games.
Stamkos - 10 in 13.
Nash - 7 in 12

Etc.

Pacioretty - 7 in 11. Injuries happen, and he said himself today it was a bad concussion. Not everyone is a Gallagher type player. He needs someone who can feed him the puck when he finds those quiet areas to snipe. Thats just the player he is, piss off and deal with it. He would have been PPG if Pleky buried those chances he had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad