OFF DAY THREAD! Where we complain on non game days!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Let’s be honest. I don’t think Sully is dictating L1 and has not been for years.

What ever do you mean? :laugh:

Funny, I was thinking earlier on the coaching thread, and it dawned on me that in the Crosby era, there are only two circumstances under which a coach is fired.

Option 1: It is so patently obvious that a coaching change is necessary that it was patently obvious two years previously (Bylsma)

Option 2: Crosby completely turns on him and it shows for a couple of months (Edzo, Therrien, Johnston)

Given this history, I do get Sullivan's 'thinking' on the subject of L1's construction (notwithstanding the 5 on 5 visuals, it will escape closer scrutiny as long as Sid still gets his points in other areas like special teams and OT).

EDIT: BTW, my read on this is that Sid isn't dictating anything close to as much as Sullivan is inferring preferences (which pretty much has taken priority over combos giving them the best chance to win since June 2017).

You don't even need to limit a 4th line of Jankowski, Sceviour and AN Other (hell, probs even Rodrigues). That's legit as a 4th line.

Honestly, I don't see anything that Sully's done wrong here other than the 1st line, but unfortunately that's the most important thing here.

I'm less sold on that 4th line than you and would use it less, but yes we both know what Sully did today is no more than to rearrange the deck chairs on Titanic. A smarter look, I think, but still the ship taking on water remains unaddressed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Let’s be honest. I don’t think Sully is dictating L1 and has not been for years.

We saw the lines Sully dictated in 2016 and I’d argue that was the last time. Hornqvist with Sid. Malkin make do with what you got and Kessel last on L3. He said as much in Between the Benches.
If Sid is saying: you know what I want to play with ERod than I give up....he can'be possibly dictating that no way no how

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why? He continuously has preferred to play with wings we all see as bad fits in Simon, Sheary and Rust.

Not all.

Also, I know this has been said before but people can hate on Simon, but the results were objectively good, and Crosby's individual scoring rose. Sheary was more up and down but again, results. You can see why Sid liked them. Sid liking being a complete non-entity at 5v5?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Look at the incredibly dumb decisions year in and year out with numerous different coaches. I hate to break it to ya, BUT...

I think it's more subtle than that, like the coach is inferring preferences. BUT, clearly Sullivan's focus no longer is on utilizing those combos from top to bottom that collectively give the Pens their best chance to win. There's been a transcendent consideration since June 2017 with Sullivan.

Reactions: TKalltheTime

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not all.

Also, I know this has been said before but people can hate on Simon, but the results were objectively good, and Crosby's individual scoring rose. Sheary was more up and down but again, results. You can see why Sid liked them. Sid liking being a complete non-entity at 5v5?

What is he right now?

THAT is the real lunacy in all of this.

Reactions: Peat

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Zucker-Bluegar-Kapanen has shades of being amazing. Couple that with if Malkin/Rust and Sid/Jake get their games going. And then Jank/Tanev on the fourth line? We’re stacked up front up everything starts to click.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Zucker-Bluegar-Kapanen has shades of being amazing. Couple that with if Malkin/Rust and Sid/Jake get their games going. And then Jank/Tanev on the fourth line? We’re stacked up front up everything starts to click.

Good post. The vocal majority don’t understand balanced scoring depth despite it being our demise the last two playoff series when out first lines struggled.

You need to have a meme worthy player on the third line like Kessel for the young outspoken fans to like it.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’d still so confused how and why Rodrigues, a 27 year old career plug, went from being a healthy scratch in the playoffs and later traded, to being a full-time starter that gets to play in the top 6.

What happened? It’s such a weird situation. I just don’t see what they like about him. He’s the worst regular forward, easily, but he plays on the top line?

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I will say that I'm extremely curious about Zuck-TB-Kap as a 3rd line.

I know it's temporary, but, still hope they get alotta shifts out there.

Wouldn't mind Tanev with Malkin and Rust.

Reactions: KIRK and LRS87

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I will say that I'm extremely curious about Zuck-TB-Kap as a 3rd line.

I know it's temporary, but, still hope they get alotta shifts out there.

Wouldn't mind Tanev with Malkin and Rust.

Maybe don't treat any line like the 4th and just roll them...Considering how the top two lines have been don't over extend anyone. Nobody over 20:00 in 60 minutes. Including the D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad